Recommend
15 
 Thumb up
 Hide
65 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Mansions of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Questions and Answers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Man
msg tools
OK. had a thread called Rules Questions, will try with Rules Questions and Answers. Could be good to get one thread going for reference. Got some answers

Q: If one has physical Trauma and is later healed, what happens?

A:

The number on Trauma cards is only the requirement for the keeper to play the card. If an investigator heals his health or sanity, the card is NOT discarded.

Q:Can Fire and Darkness exist in the same room?

A:Fire and Darkness CAN both exist in the same room. Thematically, Darkness can mean much more than just the lights being out in the room. For example, the room could be full of thick black smoke which affects visibility.

Q:Can for example Uncontrollable Urges be used several times on the same Investigator?

A: Hello Dan,


The keeper may activate action cards as often as he wishes unless the card states otherwise.


In your examples, the keeper may use "Uncontrollable Urges" on the same investigator several times (because the card does not have a restriction).


On the other hand, both "Creatures of the Night" and "Take Sample" may only be used once per keeper turn. He may never use take sample more than once a turn regardless of the number of monsters he has.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
1) Stunned monsters do NOT cause evade checks (ie: investigators can freely move through them).
2) Stunned monsters DO cause horror checks.
3) Stunned monsters MAY take samples (although they can't move).

I hope this answers your question!
-Corey Konieczka
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
Heard back from Corey that yes, monsters can collect mulitple samples (thoguh the card can only be used once per turn) and can them all off on the same turn. Which basically means, if a monster manages to snag a second sample, you better kill it fast or the Keeper is going to be swimming in threat! And don't put yourself in a position where that monster can snag a second sample from you and escape!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Lingat
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great Q&A so far. And the fact that the answers are from Corey himself is awesome thumbsup. However, you may want to go back and edit the answer regarding fire and darkness existing in the same room, unless you intended to repeat for emphasis
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: In the main entry hall (do not know if it is the right name), can you "jump" over the railing? Example: go from lower left to upper left with just one movement? Or do you have to go through the main steps in the middle (from lower left to upper left with 2 movements)?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
Q: In the main entry hall (do not know if it is the right name), can you "jump" over the railing? Example: go from lower left to upper left with just one movement? Or do you have to go through the main steps in the middle (from lower left to upper left with 2 movements)?


Ha funny. I thought that myself, when watching Jeremy's vids. Logic says no, but rules?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Phantom

Rochester
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benji_online wrote:
Vodnyk wrote:
Q: In the main entry hall (do not know if it is the right name), can you "jump" over the railing? Example: go from lower left to upper left with just one movement? Or do you have to go through the main steps in the middle (from lower left to upper left with 2 movements)?


Ha funny. I thought that myself, when watching Jeremy's vids. Logic says no, but rules?


I'd have to take a cloe look at the tile, but if there is no white line or a door separating them, you can't move that way.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When there is no white line or door separating then you "are there" you do not have to move. Only unpassable border is the brown line. BUT in the main hall there is a white line along the railing, so I would that you can shoot/go there.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
From the Man:

If all investigators are eliminated (including all replacement characters), they cannot win the game. However, the keeper needs to be careful not to do this (as it will often make his own objective impossible).

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
conedguy wrote:
From the Man:

If all investigators are eliminated (including all replacement characters), they cannot win the game. However, the keeper needs to be careful not to do this (as it will often make his own objective impossible).

This is weird - MoM rules p.6: In addition to completing his story objective, the keeper also wins if all of the investigators are eliminated.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
Vodnyk wrote:
conedguy wrote:
From the Man:

If all investigators are eliminated (including all replacement characters), they cannot win the game. However, the keeper needs to be careful not to do this (as it will often make his own objective impossible).

This is weird - MoM rules p.6: In addition to completing his story objective, the keeper also wins if all of the investigators are eliminated.


I will ask about this
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That really could do with some clarification. Under 'Winning the Game' on page 6, it states in paragraph 1 that:
Quote:
In addition to completing his story objective, the keeper also wins if all of the Investigators are eliminated.


Paragraph 3 states:
Quote:
Should the Investigators and Keeper both fail to complete their objective before the last Event card is resolved, all players lose the game(Investigators and Keeper alike)!


Obviously, a contingency must be there for the Keeper to kill off the players, and still be able to satisfy the requirements of his Objective card, before the last event card is resolved.


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
From the Man

"Investigators may not voluntarily attack other investigators (excluding the special rule in Story 5). Also keep in mind that the keeper has the option of NOT having his monsters attack (in case he wants to keep an insane investigator around)."

I am asking about the meaning og "voluntarily attack", in case the Keeper can , with control of an Investigator, attack another.

I am also asking if Dynamite can be tossed in an area with both monsters and Investigators (collateral damage?)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
Hi everyone!

It looks like scenario 5 is only one with trouble and they have a FAQ on the way, but until then here is they email they sent me with the fixes.

Hello,

I am currently compiling a brief FAQ for this game. Scenario 5 was the only one with issues, so let me give you the complete rundown:

1) Instead of using "Blood Pact", you should use "Nameless Cults". Note that this is one of the random cards that will be placed out after seeding the specific rooms.

2) In addition, the Freezer's Seed Card instructions should read:
• 1B: Nothing of Interest, Opening the Gate
• 2A and 1A/1C: Whatley’s Diary, Dreadful Passage
• 2B and 1A/1C: Ceremonial Skull, Dreadful Passage

3) The Gallery and Tower room both need to be rotated on the map so that their doors line up with the adjacent rooms (as noted in the game's insert).

4) Note that the the second sentence on the "Witchcraft" card should read “Action: You may discard 1 Mythos or Trauma card to gain 1 Threat.” (The keeper may NOT discard as many cards as he wants to gain threat).

Good luck, and I hope you have fun tomorrow!
-Corey Konieczka
VP of Research and Development
Fantasy Flight Games
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel, thanks very much for posting these responses.

Could I suggest that if you are going to post anything that directly relates to scenario set-ups, that you might enclose it in 'spoiler' quotes so it hidden from anyone that doesn't want to catch a glimpse.

Cheers
Spoiler (click to reveal)
cool
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
I can't cut and paste to clear confusion, but basically it's the following:
Is page 6 of MoM correct, does the Keeper win if all Investigators are eliminated including replacements?Corey had given a different answer

Answer from the Man

Sorry for the confusion. The rulebook is correct.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
conedguy wrote:
Scrat wrote:
That really could do with some clarification. Under 'Winning the Game' on page 6, it states in paragraph 1 that:
Quote:
In addition to completing his story objective, the keeper also wins if all of the Investigators are eliminated.


Paragraph 3 states:
Quote:
Should the Investigators and Keeper both fail to complete their objective before the last Event card is resolved, all players lose the game(Investigators and Keeper alike)!


Obviously, a contingency must be there for the Keeper to kill off the players, and still be able to satisfy the requirements of his Objective card, before the last event card is resolved.




From the Man:

Sorry for the confusion. The rulebook is correct.


Err... Which part of the rulebook?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
conedguy wrote:
Scrat wrote:
That really could do with some clarification. Under 'Winning the Game' on page 6, it states in paragraph 1 that:
Quote:
In addition to completing his story objective, the keeper also wins if all of the Investigators are eliminated.


Paragraph 3 states:
Quote:
Should the Investigators and Keeper both fail to complete their objective before the last Event card is resolved, all players lose the game(Investigators and Keeper alike)!


Obviously, a contingency must be there for the Keeper to kill off the players, and still be able to satisfy the requirements of his Objective card, before the last event card is resolved.






From the Man:

Sorry for the confusion. The rulebook is correct.



Err... Which part of the rulebook?


see my answer in the previous entry, maybe you could edit this one
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So to clarify: the ruling is that the Keeper *does* win if all investigators are eliminated...?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
So to clarify: the ruling is that the Keeper *does* win if all investigators are eliminated...?

Yes
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
From the Man:

The keeper cannot force an investigator to attack another investigator unless specifically allowed by a card (ie: the "Friend" Trauma card).

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
The following is an excellent answer on set-up, from another thread. It is a hypothetical set-up, so nothing is too spoiled as far as I can tell:


There are 5 house layouts. This determines the location of each tile/room in the house.

Each of the 5 'scenarios' then has 3-4 questions for the Keeper.

The FIRST question determines which main 'plot' is happening in the house. There are 3 plots per house layout, which means there are really 15 stories in the box as it ships.

For example (making these up), the layouts might be of an outdoor area between two houses and the questions are:

1) "What is the goal of the mad scientist who owns this house?"
A - Study a Mi-Go
B - Experiment on the investigators in order to make a super being.
C - Burn down both houses.

So that is the main plotline and will determine where the 'final showdown' is and what the actual objective is.

Then there are 2-3 other intermediate questions like:
2) Where is the safe that is opened by the crystal key?
A: The Master Bedroom
B: The HVAC room

3) Aunt Mary's hobby was:
A: Knitting
B: Gardening

Each of THOSE questions will then form the path that the investigators will have to follow. In the example above they might get an initial hint along the lines of:
"You rememember that Aunt Mary liked to knit." which would mean you go to the first house with the 'SEWING ROOM'
-or-
"You have fond memories of Aunt Mary's prize Rutabegas." which would mean you need to go to the GARDEN SHED out behind the second house.

Each middle question is independant, but together will formulate the path the investigators need to follow. In this horribly contrived example, the Crystal Key will be in the location associated with Aunt Mary's hobby, and the safe it opens will be in either the HVAC ROOM or in the MASTER BEDROOM. Going to either of the second locations first won't save any time (indeed it will only waste it) because you need physical possession of the crystal key to open the safe. You'd then find the revelation of the evil plot in the safe and then have to go handle business.

If you are the investigators and have been in this house layout before, then you (the players) would know that the first clue is going to take you to either the GARDEN SHED or the SEWING ROOM, and won't know anything about the final objective based on that knowledge. You could send people ahead to the HVAC ROOM and the MASTER BEDROOM knowing the second room pair (again, as the players), but it will split the party and mean the Keeper can spend threat to harass you or get you stuck or otherwise keep you separated so when the final objective is revealed you aren't able to be helpful. Plus, there will inevitably be a 'LOCK' of some sort in the HVAC/BEDROOM location what requires the key, which you won't have until you retreive it from the GARDEN SHED/BEDROOM.

All of this 'Scooby Doo running around through doors' is just to give a forward path for the investigators to follow while the Keeper is doing two simultaneous things:
1) Wearing down the party before the final encounter
2) Preparing for the actual endgame scenario which isn't revealed until you have gotten the last clue.

If the Keeper is trying to study a Mi-Go then their objective may be 'Summon a Mi-Go in the Summoning Circle and then move it to the Laboratory, which then spends 3 time there in order to win.

If the Keeper is trying to burn down both houses, then they will be spreading fires with half-crazed axe wielding arsonists.

If the Keeper is trying to expriment on the investigators, maybe cultists are stealing samples and taking them to the Summoning Circle.

BUT...
The Keeper may set fires that set the investigators back even if the goal isn't to burn the two houses
The Keeper may summon a Mi-Go even if the goal isn't to study it
The Keeper may have cultists take samples even if that's not the goal so that the investigators chase them the wrong direction.

So the investigators are kept in the dark about their real goal, working together to find out the real victory condition as quickly as possible while trying to fend off being broken mentally and physically so they have enough strength before the final battle.
16 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Help me to help you! Help me to help you!
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said, Daniel! In my opinion you've just proved the affirmative side of the "Is it replayable?" argument in one excellent post. Thanks!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
conedguy wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
So to clarify: the ruling is that the Keeper *does* win if all investigators are eliminated...?

Yes


All backup ones, OR if say the two investigators are BOTH killed on the same turn?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bartel
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a question about hallways and how they are treated by certain rules. I've only played Scenario 1 so far, but it has two hallway rooms that are attached to one another.

Are they treated as individual rooms? I assume they do, even though this can seem a little odd for a few things:

1) Each hallway gets its own stack of exploration cards, correct?
2) Does a monster on one hallway card trigger a horror check for an investigator on the other hallway?
3) If a hallway tile is affected by a room status, does it effect the other tile?

We treated each named hallway tile as a separate room, but I just wanted to clarify that this is how it should be treated. Any thoughts?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.