United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 2 player Kingsburg, there are phantom dice that block spots, for the purpose of this session report, I will not be including there locations unless pertinent, as it most of the time isn't worth it.

We both start off taking wood, pretty standard. We roll and the game is underway. I roll lower and place on the 4 (holding a 2 and 5), he takes the 12 with a 5-5-2. I finish on the 7. I collect gold and a stone, he takes gold and wood, both getting a +2 mod chip. We both build an Inn and both score the VP for most buildings.

Round 2 of the first year I roll much better with a 6-6-2 and he rolls a 1-3-5 (note the 3 is blocked). After placing, I get the 2 and 12, he gets the 4 and 7. I take 2 wood and a gold, he takes wood and gold. I build the Guard tower, he passes and gets the envoy.

Round 3 has a great roll for him (4-5-6) and I get the shaft(1-1-6). I get the jester(1) and 7 for a stone. He takes the 8-9 spots for 2 gold a wood and stone. He builds the market only and I take the palisade, the zombies arrive and with the kings reinforcements roll a 2, I gain 2 VP and he loses 2.

Year 2 begins with the king favoring my opponent, he rolls 3-3-5-5 and takes the queen (2 wood) and my 2-3-5 gets me 2 wood and another +2. He passes on build and I'm extending my lead with the barricade and the kings reward.

On the next throw the dice change, i get a 4-5-5 to his 1-1-3, he gets a wood, gold and vp and i take the 4-12 for 2 stone and a wood. I build the crane and he takes the farms. All tied up and he gets an extra die but loses a military value for the remainder of the game. He gets the envoy.

Last round we both roll low my 1-3-5 and his 2-3-3-6 he takes a soldier wood and stone, while i get a wood and 2 gold. The Goblins come out but we have stronger relief from the king (3). I win (gains stone and a vp) and my opponent ties, doesn't lose a building though.

Year 3 starts and his roll nets him the 2 gold, stone and wood (8 form a 1-6 and 12 spot from a 4-4-4) while i get 2 wood from the 3-4 (1-2-4). I build the embassy he builds the stable, i get the reward again and now i will get 9 more from the embassy unless it gets destroyed.

The middle of year 3 ends with both of us gain wood, gold and stone with average rolls, but he gains and extra gold with a modified 1 and had to use his +2. He needs troops as his military value is 0, he builds merchants guild, risky but could pay off. I take the blacksmith to bolster my defense. Envoy to him again.

End of the year brings good dice to all. He gains a 5 soldier (+2) 2 stone and a gold for the stone wall. I get 3 stone and a gold, but had to use a +2, worth it. I build the stable. The king sends overwhelming forces (6) against the demons, 2 VP for all.

Year 4 begins with more favor for my opponent (whose side is this king on?) and he gets the queen with 2 stone and 2 gold but spends another chip, I take the 12 spot for gold and stone and build the stone wall. My opponent gets the Fortress. Reward to me again.

Middle of the year brings more good fortune, he takes the queen again outright with no +2 and I get three gold, I build the statue with my opponent who takes gold and stone from the queen. He uses his envoy to build the guard tower also. I also begin pitching +2 chits for vp as i am stocked with them. Another envoy to him again.

End of the year was not as fortunate for us, i get the 11 spot for all i need and he takes the soldier (5) to meet my combat value and a wood and stone. I build the Fortress and pass another +2 chip for VP. The king sends 6 again and we defeat the lowly goblins for a stone a 2 VP a piece.

The start of year 5 gives my opponent the queen (gold and stone) and stone with a chit (which he got right back with the 7) while I get 2 gold and a vp (jester). I trade in a +2 chit and can't build. My opponent builds a chapel, but I still have the kings reward alone.

The middle of year 5 brings me very little a soldier and gold, while my opponent capitalizes and gets 2 gold wood and stone, he builds the church and I get a chapel and pitch another +2. He is in serious trouble now and is unable to get the Cathedral.

The final round brings more poor luck on me, and my opponent gets the queen again and a soldier, too little too late. He is able to build a blacksmith and I net another jester VP, pitch another +2 and net a wood and gold to recruit soldiers with. My opponent recruits 2 more soldiers and ties my military value, but it isn't enough, we both win over the Demons and get 4 pts.

Final score: 58-54

Sometimes the farms strategy can win, but more times than not I've found that it doesn't score as much on average and suffers from being too reliant on good dice early, otherwise it's difficult to recover. My opponent played it properly and with a little more luck could have gotten the Cathedral and possibly pulled out a win. It was close as always (unless someone loses a building).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that the Farms strategy works best with 4-5 players. The board gets very crowded, and having the +2 tokens and extra white die is all the more important. The Embassy strategy seems to work well with any number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 3er plus, I go farms almost exclusively, 4+ 100%. The Inn pays for itself in any strategy and is a must first buy in my opinion. If you get the market, get the farms. The market really helps in 3+ where you need flexibility. Too many games I play, though, I see players stop at the market, for the 1 VP and cost, it just isn't worth it without using it as a stepping stone for the farms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played a lot of 2ers on the base game it often came down to Merchants Guild versus Embassy, and in my experience the wins were pretty well split.

Lately I've been playing a lot of games on the java version against three AI players and the MG strategy is by far the best way to maximize your points (69 is my high score so far); you just can't get up that high with the Embassy.

Of course, I also often fail miserably because I require good rolls for the King's support in the Winter, but that row is a high risk high reward row that I love.

--ElSoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have scored over 70 pts with the Embassy, with good rolls (I had the queen twice) and running getting 3 spots in the top row, 1 in the 2nd, 2 in the 3rd, all in the 4th and 5th. Also I was able to get a few extra dice as my opponent that game did not go farms so I was able to manipulate the king's envoy and king's favor. I believe my opponent build all of the 1st and 2nd slots of the rows early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.