United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We had 7 players and sat down to play a few games. All of us (with the exception of one newbie) were Werewolf fans and looked forward to what was billed as a great new game in the same genre.

The first game we played, we didn't use any of the special cards, trying to get a feel. The first nomination was made and we all went along with it, not knowing where this would take us. The mission passed and we were feeling pretty good (I was a rebel). The newbie nominated the second group, same 2 from the first with 1 new member. It passed again. OK, well now as long as that same group goes again, we should win, right? Well yes, that is exactly what happened, although the vote didn't pass 100%, the spies knew their day was done. Turns out the newbie was a spy, but didn't see both of the other spies, only 1 due to positioning in the reveal phase and was a little confused on how to play with subterfuge.

So a fresh new game, and we all have a better idea of how it will play. Well this one went 4 rounds but the spies still lost. After 1 more game with a spy win (finally, the score went spy-spy-rebel-spy), we went to the special cards. We played 3 games and all were rebel wins. It became frustrating and some felt the cards lead to a much greater rebel advantage, so we went back one more game without the special cards. Again a rebel win.

It seemed at least in our group that if the spies did not get that victory in the first mission of a 7 player game, it was very difficult for them to win. The game was fun and we tried hard to like it, but it's hard to say now how well the game went over. Time will tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
You will find many examples in the forums of people stating that the game is too heavily weighted toward the spies. I think that this is due to not knowing how to use the deduction tools available, mainly not coming from a Werewolf background. For those like yourselves that do, it becomes heavily weighted toward a resistance win. With experience the game really does balance well though slightly differently with different numbers of players. Thankfully with the expansion the balance is thrown a little with each game and usually toward the resistance so you can tailor it depending on player numbers and makeup of the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this will add some fuel to the debate, but my experience is mixed with werewolf players - clearly they have developed social deduction skills already and can be good at picking up cues.

But I have seen a number of werewolf players that are bad spies in that they are too obvious in mannerisms and/or voting patterns, or fail to respond to the hard information that is available in The Resistance, but not in werewolf.

N/A did a great strategy article on how to be a spy. I would really suggest reading that to anyone whose group is having a hard time getting spy wins. He has promised to write a article on resistance strategy, which I think is a little less obvious (the deduction part is probably simple, but the building trust part is not so obvious to some).

But it might also be that everyone in your group knows each other's "tells".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Gardiner
United States
Napa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta say I really enjoy this game. I have played with gamers, non-gamers, adults, kids and assorted mixed groups. The first game typically goes to the Resistance...then people begin to figure the game out and want to play again...and again. What I find really interesting is the post game discussions...everyone mentioning the little "tells" that the other players have and how they wont be fool by that innocent smile next time.

My yard stick for what makes a good game...when non-enthusist players are talking about the "next time we play."

This one diffinately measures up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.