Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
54 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Automobile» Forums » General

Subject: Automobile: Thanks for the Wait rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Tyler
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
horlaci wrote:
But paper money, why oh why!

Two words: poker chips
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OP, you need to look on the bright side: it could have been produced by these guys...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the game when it first came out and wasn't so impressed with the "wooden" money, blase' board OR the wooden rectangles that are supposed to represent factories. I also didn't want to pay that much money for it, and then short time later, it started to cost more money as they were OOP. So, I forgot all about it. I got interested again when it was supposed to come out by Mayfair and then when I saw the colorful board, colored paper money (yeah, I like paper money) and all the colorful tokens I thought it looked great and bought it as soon as it came out! I am happy with the way it looks.

Worth the wait? YOU BET!

Wooden cars? yeah, sure they would be neat... but I don't want to spend more money for them as the cardboard ones look great too! I didn't care for the wooden salesman either. Sort of clumsy looking.

Of course, these are just my opinions on this game.

Jim
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my copy today and I'm not at all disappointed. I would rather forgo the wooden pieces and pay $20 less. I'm ok with it because the cardboard was rather high quality. My main thing that I was happy about was to be able to actually PLAY the game and have a copy. The quality of components is a nice plus, but not always vital.

As a boardgame consumer who operates on a budget, I want to be able to buy more games. The fact that Mayfair kept it with the $50 range makes me happy and allowed me to buy an extra game I might not have gotten otherwise. At $75 I would have balked at it. At $50, it's a lot easier to swallow.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see the OP point of view, but I'm far from being disappointed. I have waited for the game for as long as he has... I was not about to spend 120 dollars for the Treefrog version. So,when I opened the Mayfair version last night, a nice big bag of wooden cars would have been pretty cool to see, but I am OK with that. The production quality is high. I feel the new board design is ten times more attractive. The pieces are thick and will withstand many plays.

I felt the wooden blocks for factories in the original seemed odd, and I prefer the new cardboard ones.

I am excited Mayfair has printed it, and looking forward to playing it. I think it is great game!

If I want wooden cars they are available.... Now I need to convince myself a $20 bag of cars is really necessary....

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The new Mayfair instruction manual on the first page talks about a deluxe version. It is suppose to have wooden cars and wooden distributers as well as the cardboard ones too. Maybe we will be able to buy an official upgrade for around $20 from Mayfair and "pimp" out the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible it's just referring to the previous Treefrog version?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the original treefrog version come with cardboard cars and cardboard distributers as well as the wooden ones? I don't have the new instructions in front of me or I would type in the statement from page one toward the bottom right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
done111 wrote:
Did the original treefrog version come with cardboard cars and cardboard distributers as well as the wooden ones? I don't have the new instructions in front of me or I would type in the statement from page one toward the bottom right.


No, it was wood. But it was very generic. I would have kept mine had it had nicely shaped classic automobiles and salespeople with faces chiseled in. But it didn't, just some plain wood.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I thought the wood in the Treefrog version was anything but generic. The car-shaped meeples and stylistically human distributors were very well done. They make the game a pleasure to play.

I also like the original board, as it's functional and attractive (fill patterns honestly don't even register with me). I too would like to see a picture of the Mayfair board, to see if I like it more than the original. I didn't think the deluxe board was an improvement (too busy for my tastes).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, this is the new board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Steve. I guess what's being called the deluxe board is also the Mayfair board.

I guess I could get used to that, but there's an awful lot going on there. I prefer the original.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayfair's new instruction manual implies better components are available from them. First page says: "In addition to the standard version of Automobile, we also make a deluxe version. It contains 144 wooden cars and 40 wooden salesmen (in addition to the cardboard cars and salesmen) that may be used alternatively." I'm keeping my fingers crossed over here that they actually have something like this in the works.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juanlu Bermudez
Spain
Málaga
Málaga
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I miss in the new edition is an insert to store the components. And maybe cardboard coins instead of paper money, too. In the other hand, there have been great little improvements: the character tiles, the big loss cubes and the factories that actually look like factories.

Overall, I'm very happy with the new edition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to weigh in here too.

My copy of the new edition showed up at my door on Saturday. I opened it up, and was very impressed. I love the new art, and the card board counters are great.

I play with some... lighter gamers, and this game is going to be a lot easier to teach, simply because the cardboard is labeled with what the piece is. I would gladly trade non-descript wood, for labeled pieces.

Put me in the "Happy Customer" column.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who are really wanting the wooden tokens you can enter coupon code "Automobile" for 30% off of them with Mayday. It is a great game and I really fell in love with the Tree Frog components so this was a no-brainer for Mayday.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:
... particularly when you are tying to tell a business you aren't involved in how to operate.


Go easy on him for that. Most smart companies actually like negative feedback. The alternative is having no clue as to why you lost a customer. Haven't you noticed how many store receipts literally beg or bribe you to provide feedback?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know nothing about standard production costs of modern boardgames. Are cardboard components really cheaper than wood? If so, why? Cardboard = wood + pulping + forming + cutting + printing + printer sheet flash that gets thrown away.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hrhtomas wrote:
Ward wrote:
... particularly when you are tying to tell a business you aren't involved in how to operate.


Go easy on him for that. Most smart companies actually like negative feedback. The alternative is having no clue as to why you lost a customer. Haven't you noticed how many store receipts literally beg or bribe you to provide feedback?

"I bought a competing product because I felt it was a better value" and "I didn't buy your product because it was too expensive for me" are criticisms smart companies pay attention to. "I'm upset that your product isn't better than expected" is the type of complaint that smart companies disregard. Smart companies appreciate criticisms, as they may be able to improve their business because of it. They turn a deaf ear to irrational complaints though, because they realize that those types of customers are impossible to please.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:
"I'm upset that your product isn't better than expected" is the type of complaint that smart companies disregard.


Yes, doing that has worked really well for the Detroit automakers the past 20 years. cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hrhtomas wrote:
I know nothing about standard production costs of modern boardgames. Are cardboard components really cheaper than wood? If so, why? Cardboard = wood + pulping + forming + cutting + printing + printer sheet flash that gets thrown away.


With the little detail that cardboard can be made from scrap wood or even pulp that has previously done duty as paper.

B>
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Ward wrote:
"I'm upset that your product isn't better than expected" is the type of complaint that smart companies disregard.


Yes, doing that has worked really well for the Detroit automakers the past 20 years. cool


You think an automaker should pay heed to someone who buys an economy car and complains it isn't a luxury car? They'd be doing even worse than they already are. Their issue is not listening to the first two criticisms that I quoted, and allowing themselves to be surpassed in quality by foreign automakers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Ward wrote:
"I'm upset that your product isn't better than expected" is the type of complaint that smart companies disregard.


Yes, doing that has worked really well for the Detroit automakers the past 20 years. :cool:


You think an automaker should pay heed to someone who buys an economy car and complains it isn't a luxury car? They'd be doing even worse than they already are. Their issue is not listening to the first two criticisms that I quoted, and allowing themselves to be surpassed in quality by foreign automakers.


The key word is expected. People probably don't expect inlaid walnut minibars in economy cars, but t hey likely do expect doors that fit or reasonable mileage because cheaper cars from Toyota can manage it.

B>
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Ward wrote:
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Ward wrote:
"I'm upset that your product isn't better than expected" is the type of complaint that smart companies disregard.


Yes, doing that has worked really well for the Detroit automakers the past 20 years. cool


You think an automaker should pay heed to someone who buys an economy car and complains it isn't a luxury car? They'd be doing even worse than they already are. Their issue is not listening to the first two criticisms that I quoted, and allowing themselves to be surpassed in quality by foreign automakers.


The key word is expected. People probably don't expect inlaid walnut minibars in economy cars, but t hey likely do expect doors that fit or reasonable mileage because cheaper cars from Toyota can manage it.

B>

No, the key word is "better". You know the level of quality you are getting before you buy it. You pay for it because it is less expensive that the other alternative. To expect it to be better than the known quality level is the unreasonable part.

When I buy a product, I am satisfied if it meets the expected quality level. I am happy if it exceeds those expectations, and I am disappointed when it falls short. To expect more for less, particularly in today's economy, is borderline delusional. To demand more for less is simply irrational.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:
hrhtomas wrote:
Ward wrote:
... particularly when you are tying to tell a business you aren't involved in how to operate.


Go easy on him for that. Most smart companies actually like negative feedback. The alternative is having no clue as to why you lost a customer. Haven't you noticed how many store receipts literally beg or bribe you to provide feedback?

"I bought a competing product because I felt it was a better value" and "I didn't buy your product because it was too expensive for me" are criticisms smart companies pay attention to. "I'm upset that your product isn't better than expected" is the type of complaint that smart companies disregard. Smart companies appreciate criticisms, as they may be able to improve their business because of it. They turn a deaf ear to irrational complaints though, because they realize that those types of customers are impossible to please.


I will cite one situation that shows this to be incorrect (there are others).

Coke II...Coke's base of consumers (who have no say in their operations) hated the product change, complained, and got the product changed back to the now "Coke Classic".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |