Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:

No, the key word is "better". You know the level of quality you are getting before you buy it. You pay for it because it is less expensive that the other alternative. To expect it to be better than the known quality level is the unreasonable part.

Turns out that with medium-term mechanical reliability, this isn't true.
Quote:

When I buy a product, I am satisfied if it meets the expected quality level. I am happy if it exceeds those expectations, and I am disappointed when it falls short. To expect more for less, particularly in today's economy, is borderline delusional. To demand more for less is simply irrational.

And yet the US car industry in its decline consistently offered less quality for a higher price. It's unclear why people bought the cars, although brand loyalty, advertising and inertia all played a part.

I was specifically offering the similar priced cars from Japanese and Korean brands as the comparison, so it isn't a matter of higher prices, they were the same or cheaper.

However, this is now entirely off-topic. Perhaps we could continue elsewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Ward wrote:

No, the key word is "better". You know the level of quality you are getting before you buy it. You pay for it because it is less expensive that the other alternative. To expect it to be better than the known quality level is the unreasonable part.

Turns out that with medium-term mechanical reliability, this isn't true.
Quote:

When I buy a product, I am satisfied if it meets the expected quality level. I am happy if it exceeds those expectations, and I am disappointed when it falls short. To expect more for less, particularly in today's economy, is borderline delusional. To demand more for less is simply irrational.

And yet the US car industry in its decline consistently offered less quality for a higher price. It's unclear why people bought the cars, although brand loyalty, advertising and inertia all played a part.

I was specifically offering the similar priced cars from Japanese and Korean brands as the comparison, so it isn't a matter of higher prices, they were the same or cheaper.

However, this is now entirely off-topic. Perhaps we could continue elsewhere?

Actually, I was referring to the OP with my last paragraph to try and stay on topic. The choices people have with the game Automobile are to pay for a 1st Edition through 3rd parties, or to buy a 2nd Edition readily available. To pay for the 2nd Edition, knowing that the components you want are part of the 1st Edition only, and then be upset about it is the initial point that was made.

I'm not sure where anyone came up with the conclusion that the Detroit automakers were smart companies, so their inclusion in this discussion is really beyond off topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ciscokidnj wrote:
Ward wrote:
hrhtomas wrote:
Ward wrote:
... particularly when you are tying to tell a business you aren't involved in how to operate.

Go easy on him for that. Most smart companies actually like negative feedback. The alternative is having no clue as to why you lost a customer. Haven't you noticed how many store receipts literally beg or bribe you to provide feedback?

"I bought a competing product because I felt it was a better value" and "I didn't buy your product because it was too expensive for me" are criticisms smart companies pay attention to. "I'm upset that your product isn't better than expected" is the type of complaint that smart companies disregard. Smart companies appreciate criticisms, as they may be able to improve their business because of it. They turn a deaf ear to irrational complaints though, because they realize that those types of customers are impossible to please.

I will cite one situation that shows this to be incorrect (there are others).

Coke II...Coke's base of consumers (who have no say in their operations) hated the product change, complained, and got the product changed back to the now "Coke Classic".

Doesn't apply. Those who bought and complained about Coke II didn't know they would not like it. They had the expectation that it was as good or better than the original (as Coca-Cola marketed it at the time) and the product fell short of that for them. It actually is a good example of the first example in that consumers were switching to other brands rather than drink Coke II. Coca-Cola paid heed and reverted to the original formula.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two extra factors may come on here: the rumours of a deluxe Mayfair edition and disappointment that Mayfair couldn't match warfrog components despite being much bigger.

It is probably unhelpful to compare inflated secondary market prices. I don't recall the initial price was so high.

b>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  |