Popular Tags: [View All]
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point I have moderated well over 100 games of Mafia. I recently got the Werewolves of Miller's Hollow because of the additional roles and not having a criminal theme. I fell comfortable with moderating the game up until it comes time to make accusations.

In Mafia I learned to handle the accusations as follows: The first three people accused stand trial. People are accused just by having their name shouted out. When a person goes to trial they have to state why they are not a member of the mafia. After the accused have presented their case there is a vote and whoever gets the most votes wins.

Thematically the idea of a trial (and innocent until proven guilty) worked for mafia, but I am not sure this process works the best for Werewolf. The rulebook certainly describes a more free form approach.

The last time I played this specific game, I allowed accusations to be open (not taking the first three). This led to seven or eight people accused, since once someone got accused they immediately accused their accuser. I decided to get the number of accused down by calling for an informal vote. For each person accused I asked if it was the will of the village that they go up for a vote as a werewolf, and had people vote with a verbal Aye and Nay. If it sounded like there were Ayes than Nays they stood accused. Once going through this process, I then asked if anyone wanted to speak on behalf or against the accused. After everyone had said their peace, we voted and whoever got the most votes was lynched.

This process worked fairly well but seemed just a little cumbersome,which is why I thought I would ask for some input.

For what it is worth, I almost always play with a group of teenagers (or pre-teens) and the group sizes will usually be on the larger end (18+ players)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I dunno... we just have everyone point at the count of 3, then have a run off between the top vote-getters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best moderation is less moderation. Moderators invariably influence a game's natural progression and change outcomes (ESPECIALLY when they think they never do).

When there are enough votes to eliminate someone, a moderator can say so. Or a player could point it out and avoid moderation entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two common methods:

1. Nominations. Anyone can nominate someone for lynch, or second a nomination. Once you have a couple of nominations seconded, ask for (brief) defences and then vote off between them.

2. Sudden death. On a count, point to who you want to vote for. If there's a majority on one person, that person is lynched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
davidme wrote:
The best moderation is less moderation.

To clarify the above,
Modern moderators moderate in moderation.

That being said, I go out of my way to muddy the waters when I moderate so I can laugh at everyone's flailings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a method I like to call the "Angry Mob".

During the day some rabble rouser will stick their fist into the air and will denounce their suspect, calling on others to join their mob. While the fist is still in the air, the victim can plead their case, but not for too long. If the mob instigator was moved by their pleas, they put their fist down. If they are maintaining the rage, they let it be known, and others who wish to join the mob also raise their fists. On the count of three, if more than half the village has their hands raised, the victim is dead.

If the lynch was unsuccessful, that victim cannot be targeted/nominated again that day. (Fine print: if the instigator was convinced not to proceed, that doesn't count as a failed mob lynching)

Like most methods, sometimes the villagers can't make up their minds or the mobs fail to get enough. In that case I start a slow countdown (from 10?) to nightfall. If panicked villagers try to raise some mobs in that time, I will pause the nightfall, but if their attempts fail, will resume where I left off.

Works for us laugh

Blog Entry: "We Are The Angry Mob"
http://cafegames.wordpress.com/2009/10/26/we-are-the-angry-m...

(Yep Kaiser Chiefs reference)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sightreader wrote:
davidme wrote:
The best moderation is less moderation.

To clarify the above,
Modern moderators moderate in moderation.

That being said, I go out of my way to muddy the waters when I moderate so I can laugh at everyone's flailings.

Yes, I've played games similar to Mafia/Werewolf like this similar game you're running. They weren't as much fun as the real game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
davidme wrote:
Yes, I've played games similar to Mafia/Werewolf like this similar game you're running. They weren't as much fun as the real game.

We were playing Werewolf (lately, Ultimate Werewolf with copious playing aids)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.