Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We drove on up to Newcastle to play some games, We brought along Boomtown and peurto rico! We have had Boomtown for a while now and I was hoping to get a shot at playing it for the first time. There was a rugrat running around so we decided not to play PR as he is fascinated by bits and games, and makeing a mess of games.

Jeff3 brought out Citadels as we could play it sprawled around the living room.

The players were Jeff, Jeff2, Jeff3, Tammi and April.

Jeff2 started out as king as the oldest. The first half of the game we played with the TV on and a toddler wandering around. So it was clearly distracting, but not bad, in a lacidazical kind of way. Eventually the television got turned off and Aiden went off to bed. The big trick this game was using the wizard to steal empty hands. Tammi had her hand stolen and then it got passed around the table in the next turn as well. The bishop wasn't much in the game, he spent a lot of time vacationing in burmuda. April had a bunch of green buildings but never got to see the merchant so she started taking the assassin and killing him from spite. Which was a pretty cool tactic.

The game ended with April filling her city first, but with small buildings. Then Jeff2 built his eigth, and tami and me. Tami could have ended the game the previous turn if Jeff3 hadn't thiefed her. I had the warlord and nobody had the bishop giving me a powerful position at the end of the game. I killed one of jeff2's buildings taking him out of contention for the 5 colors award. I won the game with 32, tammi had 31, Jeff2 had 30 I think, April had 25 I think she said, and I forget what Jeff3 had. It was a very close game all around.

An interesting thing is that if someone is building a lot of small buildings, it may not be in the best interest of the other players to warlord them down. As they will be stuck with few points. It almost seems that you have to escalate your building costs as the game goes on. As you need the quality buildings to get the big points. In the middle/endgame you probably shouldn't build small buildings unless you are a building behind the people with the most buildings up. So if I have 5 buildings and two other people have 5 buildings up. And I build a one gold Temple, I have essentially lowered my city's potential max score. the obvious exception to this would be if you can finish your city when nobody else is in a position to fill theirs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh we have been playing that rule wrong then, but it hasn't seemed to have hurt our games much, it certainly helps avoid the kingmaker situation we had in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.