Popular Tags: [View All]
Camelorn
Germany
Koblenz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Vassal, all the modules there are eather playable online or via mail: http://www.vassalengine.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
gte910h wrote:
The other player will at most be able to have the manual, possibly not even that. Will not be able to send or receive pictures of the game nor have a copy of it.

Any suggestions? (Not chess, I hate chess).

Have you considered Mabiweb, Yucata or other sites like these?

They are play by turn so you don't have to be on line at the same time and have dozens of good games set up with all the graphics and rules available along with chat windows to enable banter if desired.

I keep in touch with several long distance gaming friends and family this way. We game and chat almost like we could be together in person.

So if your friend has internet access at all this could be the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Would love to see some non-wargame recommendations as well. While I play a lot of boardgames, I've never really sat down and figured out how many turns a given game would be if I did it PBEM.

Is there a list out there somewhere on what modern games work best PBEM - aka the most gameplay for the least amount of discrete turns - particularly if there are 4+ players?

Obviously Diplomacy, as a simul-turn game... but what else? Wallenstein/Shogun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good site for playing by email is www.gamesbyemail.com. They have Axis & Allies, History of the World, a RISK clone, Acquire, and a few others. You receive an email when it's your turn and the game can go at whatever pace the players want.

I also 2nd the VASSAL engine. It's not the simplest thing to figure out, but once you do, it's great, free, fun! Even the most picky board gamer can find a module that they like, give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing 2-player Commands & Colors: Ancients the past month (on our 5th game) via VASSAL log files. Fairly clean in execution. You generally can complete 1 full turn for both sides in a day with one mailing each. At times you might have to send an incomplete turn to get a decision made, but not that often.

Works well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Östlund
Sweden
Eskilstuna
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dtolman wrote:
Would love to see some non-wargame recommendations as well. While I play a lot of boardgames, I've never really sat down and figured out how many turns a given game would be if I did it PBEM.

Is there a list out there somewhere on what modern games work best PBEM - aka the most gameplay for the least amount of discrete turns - particularly if there are 4+ players?

Non wargames PBeM! I play a lot of 18xx gmaes PBeM, like 1830, 1856 and 1870. ATM I also play 18C2C and play test 18OE. I also know there are those playing AoR and Adv Civ PBeM even though I have not tried it.
/Arne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Albea
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Here's the wiki on Online Games:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/On-line_Games#

I highly recommend http://goldtoken.com and http://gamesbyemail.com.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
dtolman wrote:

I play Wallenstein as a play by turn at http://www.spielbyweb.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arne_oestlund wrote:
dtolman wrote:

Non wargames PBeM! I play a lot of 18xx gmaes PBeM, like 1830, 1856 and 1870. ATM I also play 18C2C and play test 18OE. I also know there are those playing AoR and Adv Civ PBeM even though I have not tried it.
/Arne

Advanced Civilization is great online, but where can you play AoR? Warhorse tracks cards but it's not the full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gieger
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, on gamesbyemail.com you can play the original version of axis and allies against friends or strangers. I have 8 games going on right now! Invite me to a game if you wana challenge... Pm me for my email to invite me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zalkalzar Black
msg tools

Alamaze won many Game of the Year Awards for PBM, is PBEM supported by website and forum. It is multifaceted, up to 15 player strategic fantasy. Check out www.alamaze.co and the link there to their forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Mouse
msg tools
Diplomacy at http://usak.asciiking.com/

All maps are auto updated. All communication is automated through your email. There is a slight learning curve, but their are newbie games where Chris Babcock will actively help (not with moves, but with how to use the site).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig M
msg tools
mbmb
I'm still trying to recruit for a PBEM playtest of a new 5-player planetary colonisation game. Message me if you want more details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.