Game 1
Game 2
Game 3
Game 4
Game 5
Game 6 - You are here.
Game 7
Game 8

Game 6 – I carry thirteen food from Game 5, along with a couple of vp-awarding community notables and two home builders. The Clay Deliveryman is on hire as well, but he has a reputation for being late.

Held Occupations:

Chief: The venerable Chief. But he won’t hang with you unless you’ve got a posh crib.

Lord of the Manor: He’s not demanding, but he is convincing. His very presence says get your ducks in row.

Mason: The Mason is nice, no doubt. The only trick is that if you’re planning on using him to go from 4 to 5 rooms (instead of from, say, 5 to 6), then you may have to renovate to stone quickly to make room for your last family member.

Master Builder: Mason, Part 2.

Clay Deliveryman: I used all the clay last time renovating and building ovens. Maybe this timeI’ll get the pottery.

Drawn Occupations:

Conservator: Conservator is tricky this time around. I have no wood grabbing help, so I’m working with a flat 28w. I have no stable or fence building help, so 4(1x1fs)pa is going to cost me the full 20w. That leaves wood for a single wooden hut extension (and neatly, my three 1w minors). I wield the very nice Stone House Extension, which would get me from three to four rooms (and then to six with my occupations), but it would be nice to get to seven rooms. Skipping Conservator, adding a room in clay would cost me 3c and 1r for the renovation, 5c and 2r for the room, and my renovation to stone will cost an extra 1s. Using Conservator, adding a stone room would cost 2r and 5s. It seems that Conservator is the way to go, but I’m mindful of the fact that stone buys the majors. Then again, I do have Stone Tongs, so I’ll give the Conservator a try. (After working through all that, I’ve remembered that because of Lord of the Manor, the difference between six and seven stone room is one vp. If stone appears late in Stage 2, then I’ll probably abandon the seventh room for majors.)

Mendicant: I’m playing solo, so there’s no surprise to leverage. This is one action and one food in exchange for two food – that is, one action for one food. Not good.

Minors:

Beanfield: I’d prefer the Lettuce Patch, but alright.

Clogs: I was told by a friend that these are more comfortable than they look. An easy 2vp.

Corn Scoop: I still prefer Seasonal Worker, but after playing the last game with neither, I’ll take the Corn Scoop.

Millstone: I’ve never played this, but I like the idea of baking 1g into 7f with the Clay Oven. With no vp on this one, it may come down to whether there’s enough stone.

Reed Pond: I like this card.

Stone House Extension: The aforementioned SHE – an obvious yes.

Stone Tongs: It’s a Stone Carrier that you buy with wood instead of food.

Plan:
I’m imagining taking wood in R4 for a room and minors, in R8 for stables on the back of building a seventh stone room (hopefully), and in R14 for fences. I’ll skip Mendicant and maybe Millstone, but I’ll play the rest of the cards.

sr|fs|fs|fi|fi
sr|fs|fs|xx|fi

sr|sr|sr|sr|fi
As in previous games, the xx can be either a stone room or a field.

Key:
fm = family member
occ = occupation; imp = major or minor improvement
f = food; ff = future food; g = grain; v = vegetable
w = wood; c = clay; r = reed; s = stone
sh = sheep; wb = wild boar; ca = cattle
wr = wooden room; cr = clay room; sr = stone room
fi = field; fg = field grain; fv = field vegetable [2(2fg)/1fv = 2 fields with 2 unharvested grain each and 1 field with 1 unharvested vegetable]
us = unfenced stable; fs = fenced stable
pa = pasture [2(1x3)pa 1(1x1fs)pa = 2 pastures, 1x3 each, without stables and 1 pasture, 1x1, with stable]
ac = animal capacity [2(1ac)/4ac = 1 pet, 1 unfenced stable, and either a 1x2 pasture or a 1x1 pasture with a stable]
un = unused space
vp = victory point/bonus point

I’m still developing my notation, and feedback is welcome. Right now my goal is to provide enough information to allow a reader to follow the game without acting it out on a board. Another route would be to provide only the minimum information necessary (like Chess notation), expecting the reader to know the rules (I renovated my 4-room wooden hut, so it must’ve cost 4c 1r) and act out the game on a board (or have an immense memory and a fantastic ability to visualize). While this style of notation might be elegant, Agricola has quite a few more pieces and rules than Chess, so I’ll probably continue providing lots of information.

...and here we go again:

Round 0
[Game 5 Bonus Food (+13f)]
[Game 1 Occupation: Chief]
[Game 2 Occupation: Lord of the Manor]
[Game 3 Occupation: Mason]
[Game 4 Occupation: Master Builder]
[Game 5 Occupation: Clay Deliveryman (+9 future clay)]
Personal Supply: 13f
Other Stats: 2fm/2wr/1ac/13un

Round 1: Major / Minor
- Plow (+1fi) With just one occupation to play, my old habit of plowing early comes back. We’ll see how it works out this time.
Personal Supply: 12f
Other Stats: 2fm/2wr/1fi/1ac/12un

Round 2: Sow +/ Bake
- Starting Player + Minor: Reed Pond (3occ +3 future reed)
- Plow (+1fi)
Personal Supply: 12f
Other Stats: 2fm/2wr/2fi/1ac/11un

Round 3: Sheep
[+1r (Reed Pond)]
- Plow (+1fi)
- Starting Player + Minor: Bean Field (2occ)
Personal Supply: 12f/1r
Other Stats: 2fm/2wr/3fi/1ac/10un

Round 4: Fences
[+1r (Reed Pond)]
- Wood (+8w)
- Build Room(s) (-5w -2r +1wr)

Harvest:
Field: ()
Feed: (-6f)
Breed: ()
Personal Supply: 6f/3w
Other Stats: 2fm/3wr/3fi/1ac/9un

Round 5: Renovation + Major / Minor
[+1r (Reed Pond)]
I almost played the Corn Scoop here, but I remembered I didn’t leave a wood for the Well.
- Reed (+5r) As I type this up, I look askance at taking reed this early since I later have no bonus reed for the Basketmaker’s Workshop.
- Grain (+1g) With no future food coming this time, and stone being saved for the house (so no food from the craft majors), I may need to bake.
Personal Supply: 6f/1g/3w/6r
Other Stats: 2fm/3wr/3fi/1ac/9un

Round 6: Stone
[+1c (Clay Deliveryman)]
- Grain (+1g)
- Sow: (-2g +2(3fg)) After several games sowing later, this feels strange.
Personal Supply: 6f/1g/3w/1c/6r
Other Stats: 2fm/3wr/3fi/2(3fg)/1ac/9un

Round 7: Family Growth + Minor
[+1c (Clay Deliveryman)]
- Family Growth (+1fm) + Minor: Stone Tongs (-1w)
- Stone (+3s (Stone Tongs)) I’m going to try hitting stone pretty hard rather than letting it build up.

Harvest:
Field: (-2fg +2g)
[Convert (-1g +1f)]
Feed: (-7f)
Personal Supply: 1g/2w/2c/6r/3s
Other Stats: 3fm/3wr/3fi/2(2fg)/1ac/9un

Round 8: Vegetable
[+1c (Clay Deliveryman)]
- Stone (+2s (Stone Tongs))
- Vegetable (+1v)
- Renovation (-1r -3s -3wr +3sr (Conservator)) + Major: Clay Oven (-3c -1s)
[Bake (-1g +5f)]
Personal Supply: 5f/1v/2w/5r/1s
Other Stats: 3fm/3sr/3fi/2(2fg)/1ac/9un

Round 9: Wild Boar
[+1c (Clay Deliveryman)]
- Starting Player + Minor: Stone House Extension (-1r -3s +1sr)
[(+1sr (Mason)]
[(+1sr (Master Builder)]
- Fishing (+9f) I don’t have the food to FG.

Harvest:
Feed: (-9f)
Personal Supply: 5f/2g/1v/2w/1c/4r
Other Stats: 3fm/6sr/3fi/2(1fg)/1ac/6un

Round 10: Cattle
[+1c (Clay Deliveryman)]
- Family Growth (+1fm) + Minor: Clogs (-1w)
- Vegetable (+1v)
- Major: Fireplace (-2c)
Personal Supply: 5f/2g/2v/1w/4r
Other Stats: 4fm/6sr/3fi/2(1fg)/1ac/6un
Here I decide the course of R14: Wood/Fences/Build Stable(s)/Wild Boar/Cattle. I’ll need to do everything else before that (including food prep, obviously).

Round 11: Stone
[+1c (Clay Deliveryman)]
- Stone (+3s (Stone Tongs))
- Major: Basketmaker’s Workshop (-2r -2s) One day I’m going to figure out how to play this earlier.
- Family Growth (+1fm) I was going to play the Millstone here, but before I did, I reconsidered my plan for R14. I wanted to buy the Stone Oven for its vp, and I didn’t know if I would come up short on stone, so I left the Millstone. Since I ended the game with 1s, I could’ve played it, but I had plenty of food anyway and the Millstone is worth no vp.
- Sheep (+9sh)
[Cook (-8sh +16f)]

Harvest:
[Basketmaker’s Workshop (-1r +3f)]
Feed: (-13f)
Personal Supply: 11f/4g/2v/1w/1c/2r/1s/1sh
Other Stats: 5fm/6sr/3fi/1ac/6un

Round 12: Family Growth w/o Space
[+1c (Clay Deliveryman)]
- Major: Well (-1w -3s +2ff)
- Wood (+16w)
- Fences (-12w +4(1x1)pa)
- Plow (+1fi)
Personal Supply: 11f/4g/2v/4w/2c/1r/1s/1sh
Other Stats: 5fm/6sr/4fi/1ac/4(2ac)/1un

Round 13: Plow +/ Sow
[+1c (Clay Deliveryman)]
[+1f (Well)]
- Plow (+1fi) + Sow (-4g -2v +4(3fg) +2(2fv) (Beanfield))
- Major: Pottery (-2c -2s)
- Clay (+13c)

Harvest:
[Basketmaker’s Workshop (-1r +3f)]
[Pottery (-1c +2f)]
Field: (-4fg -2fv +4g +2v)
Feed: (-15f)
Personal Supply: 2f/4g/2v/4w/13c/4s/1sh
Other Stats: 5fm/6sr/5fi/4(2fg)/2(1fv)/1ac/4(2ac)

Round 14: Renovation + Fences
[+1c (Clay Deliveryman)]
[+1f (Well)]
- Wood (+4w)
- Build Stable(s) (-8w +4fs)
- Wild Boar (+6wb)
- Cattle (+5ca)
- Major: Stone Oven (-1c -3s)
[Bake (-3g +13f)] I had originally wanted to buy the Stone Oven for its vp, but by this time I realized that I needed it more for food than for its direct vp.
Harvest:
Field: (-4fg -2fv +4g +2v)
Feed: (-15f)
Breed: (+1wb +1ca)
Personal Supply: 1f/5g/4v/13c/1s/1sh/7wb/6ca
Other Stats: 5fm/6sr/5fi/4(1fg)/4fs/1ac/4(4ac)

Final board layout:

sr|fs|fs|fi|fi
sr|fs|fs|f1|fi

sr|sr|sr|sr|fi

Score:
Fields: 5 = 4vp
Pastures: 4 = 4vp
Grain: 9 = 4vp
Vegetables: 4 = 4vp
Sheep: 1 = 1vp
Wild Boar: 7 = 4vp
Cattle: 6 = 4vp
Unused Spaces: 0
Fenced Stables: 4 = 4vp
Clay Rooms: 0
Stone Rooms: 6 = 12vp
Family Members: 5 = 15vp
Points for Cards: 16vp (Reed Pond 1vp, Beanfield 1vp, Clay Oven 2vp, Fireplace 1vp, Basketmaker’s Workshop 2vp, Well 4vp, Pottery 2vp, Stone Oven 3vp)
Bonus Points: 18vp (Chief 6vp, Lord of the Manor 7vp, Clogs 2vp, Pottery 3vp)

Total: 90vp (target 65vp)

Bonus Food for Game 7: 12
Held Occupation: Conservator

Notes:
It bothers me to leave 9r on the board when I have Basketmaker’s Workshop, so I looked back over the game to see if there was a way I could’ve gotten that reed. I came up with this:
R5: Plow, not Reed
R8: Fishing, not Vegetable (1f less than R9 Fishing)
R9: Reed, not Fishing (an additional 4r over R5 Reed)
R12: Vegetable, not Plow
This would’ve left me with 4r at the end, or 2vp. I tried to find a way not to burn 1r in either the R12 or R13 Harvest, but after a quick scan, I can’t come up with anything (Fishing in R8 means one less food, so eating 1g won’t work). Basically, I wasn’t thinking about BMW when I took reed in R5.
I took seven extra stone using Stone Tongs, compared to four extra stone with Stone Carrier in Game 3. I can’t easily see why that is, other than Stage 2 Stone appearing one round later in this game.
I’m going to stop making fun of the Clay Deliveryman’s lateness. In solo, it’s not that difficult to make use of the late clay.

As always, suggestions and comments are quite welcome, and if you see any accounting errors, please let me know.

Thanks for reading and thanks to Play Agricola for allowing me to link to their card scans!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.