Jeremy Kingsbury
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thought I'd put everything in the subject for easier finding, cause I've been looking and looking, and can't find an answer.

Can A character who did not earn the Explored marker close the explored gate or is he drawn into the portal?

So If Gloria Goldberg pops out of a portal from the dreamlands, and lacks the clue tokens to seal a gate at Independence square, can she just sit put at Independence square until Joe Diamond can meet her there with the needed clue Tokens, and then have Joe Close the Gate, Collect the Gate Trophy and Seal with his clue tokens?

Or if Joe would go to Independence square while Gloria has already explored it, are her shouts and warnings of
"DON'T GO INTO THE GAZEBO IT'S A PORTAL TO THE DREAMLANDS!" not heard by Joe, who is drawn into the dreamlands instead of being able to kick down the gazebo and utilize all the fine knowledge gathered in the form of clues telling him just what a fine mixture of gasoline, holy water and goat hair is needed to permanently torch and seal a Gazebo and portal to an other world?

Assuming Gloria can wait and direct traffic around the Gazebo of doom until an investigator with the wherewithal to close and seal the gate appears, does Gloria have Encounters in independence square till she leaves?

Thanks for any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wetootwaag wrote:
Thought I'd put everything in the subject for easier finding, cause I've been looking and looking, and can't find an answer.

Can A character who did not earn the Explored marker close the explored gate or is he drawn into the portal?

No. The explored token signifies that you have learned how to close the gate in your journeys. If you don't have it, you cannot close it, because you have no idea how. You would be drawn through the gate instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
wetootwaag wrote:

No. The explored token signifies that you have learned how to close the gate in your journeys. If you don't have it, you cannot close it, because you have no idea how. You would be drawn through the gate instead.

+1

You can however try to get items, such as books or research materials, to the person with the explored marker sitting on the gate, in order for them to get the clues to seal the gate in question.
Unless you already have such items on hand, the time it takes to attempt this generally makes it an inadvisable strategy. Additionally, monster surges can make such a tactic difficult to implement even if all the resources are already on hand.

wetootwaag wrote:
Assuming Gloria can wait and direct traffic around the Gazebo of doom until an investigator with the wherewithal to close and seal the gate appears, does Gloria have Encounters in independence square till she leaves?

Assuming an investigator can deal with any monsters on the gate (or that pop up from monster surges), they can stay on an explored gate as long as they like.
Gates completely replace Locations, which means even if an investigator has an explored token and is on a gate, they do NOT draw encounter cards for the location that the gate has replaced. This also means you cannot use the special ability of a location that has been replaced by a gate (Science Building) while the gate remains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem Schmidt
Netherlands
Biddinghuizen
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Trying to hit that arrow!
mbmbmbmbmb
What Jeremy says makes sense, though. I asssume he won't be punished if he makes ita house rule.....:D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gentleman Loser
msg tools
mbmbmb
thirdeye333 wrote:
What Jeremy says makes sense, though. I asssume he won't be punished if he makes ita house rule.....

Nothing wrong with a house rule, if the people at your table like the game better that way. That said, Arkham Horror is balanced in part by the provision that clue tokens are non-transferrable. The proposed house rule would essentially provide a way around that limitation. As such it could have a huge impact on the games difficulty. I would be cautious introducing it until you've given the game a good couple of session with the rules as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.