Michael D'Amico
United States
Milford
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the game I played last night we had two odd scoring card draws:

1. First draw of the game had all Early War scoring cards dealt and played.

2. First draw of the Mid War had all the Mid War scoring cards dealt and played (including SE Asia).

As the USSR I had the Europe scoring card for the opening draw and I had South America and Africa for the first Mid War draw. The Americas had been ignored during the Early War as there was heavy battling going on in Asia and Europe. I was able to coup Panama during Turn 4 and for the most part I was able to keep my opponent out of most of the Americas during the remainder of the game.

And in another bit of oddity, for the second game in a row the USA ended the game in the Late War with the play of Wargames. Yesterday the USSR lost by one point while the previous victory was 3 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Totonchy
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames is the one card in the game that I am not crazy about. It has great artwork on it though. It is usually the USSR that wins with wargames play. If the US was already ahead by 7 in late war, it is likely that the US was probably going to win anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gazpar wrote:
Wargames is the one card in the game that I am not crazy about. It has great artwork on it though. It is usually the USSR that wins with wargames play. If the US was already ahead by 7 in late war, it is likely that the US was probably going to win anyway.

You're just jealous, Matty, because it is YET another movie where the geeky guy gets the cute gal and its not you.

You have to get over your crush on Ally Sheedy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D'Amico
United States
Milford
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gazpar wrote:
My opponent, who used Wargames to win, shares your sentiment. I on the other hand, have no problem with it. I also offered to let him take the play of it back, since the card says you "may" end the game immediately so that we could finish it out, and wouldn't you know, he declined.

As for who would have won, that's a topic open to debate. Between the two of us, looking at the board and doing a simulated deal for what would have been the final hand, we felt it would have been close, with me actually looking good to win. Europe and Asia were in the discard pile, and some scoring cards would have come up in regions where I had a pretty strong lock. Throw in final scoring and it would have been close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play that 2+ scoring cards in one hand only after the initial 1st round deal is a misdeal. This allows time to get things going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D'Amico
United States
Milford
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weed131 wrote:
We always play that 2+ scoring cards in one hand only after the initial 1st round deal is a misdeal. This allows time to get things going.
That's an interesting idea. But I think I like the switch up in play. I would think it generally helps the US in the Early War for the USSR to not be able to jump out of the gate too strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.