Subject: The Dune boardgame-Not the AH version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Waddel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I used to read Dune incessantly when I was younger. I couldn't get enough of it! The plot, the politics, the themes, everything Frank Herbert packed into that book is amazing. Once I saw the 1984 movie, I was like, "Huh? What is this?" I mean, they changed a whole bunch of the book, and sped up the plot to make it fit within the 2h 17 min running time.

But, Parker Brothers came out with a decent board game in the same year. Parker Brothers is known for making awesome board games and this one is no exception.

Based soley on the movie, this makes use of a "roll the dice, move your pawn, and beat the opponents to the goal" mechanic. And, this simple formula works wonders. Addictive gameplay, betrayals and simple gameplay will have you playing this game for years to come. The plot is loosely based on the movie, and there are 4 different "factions" that vie for control of Arrakis (aka Dune). There are the Atreides (with Leto, Jessica and Paul), the Corrinos (Shaddam, Irulan and Helen Mohiam), the Fremen (with Liet-Kynes, Chani and Stilgar) and the Guild (which I can't remember off the top of my head who is in that one, sorry). You all vie for control of Dune and use Spice Harvesters, spice tokens, cards and combat to get rid of your opponents. Every once in awhile, someone will draw the dreaded "sand worm" card, and people in the Desert (the outer ring) will die unless they are on certain tiles or have an "ornithopter" card handy. You can also "bet" on spice and get a return of even greater spice if the player rolls that.

All-in-all a great game with much more depth than the surface would suggest. I would recommend this to all Dune collectors and fans out there.

-My Comparison to the Avalon Hill Version of Dune Board Game-
Incidentally, when most fans think of a Dune board game, they instantly think of the AH version of Dune. While vastly more complex and strategic, the AH Dune game lacks in one particular area, and that area is streamlining. The Parker Brothers version of Dune has seamless gameplay from one aspect to another. To me, the AH wersion of Dune is blocky, and very stunted. It doesn't have a good "flow," which to me is similar to "Axis and Allies." Usually, when playing a board game, I would just like to sit down, refresh on the rules, and start playing right away. I don't really like to sit down and pore over many rules and teach people the nuances of the game before it starts. Combat in PB Dune is great. It is really fast to resolve and easy to play. With AH Dune, you just "choose a leader, choose some troops and cards, compare numbers" and you are done for the most part. In PB Dune, you might die on the first combat! It really lends to much planning and strategy. Also, you don't have to worry about moving the "storm." I know that the designers of AH Dune were looking to cram as much as possible from the book (which, in and of itself is dense and complex), I think that they tried to hard to cram too much in. It really needs an overhaul, IMHO. I'm not saying that I'm the one to do it, but it really needs that element of "randomness" that makes the PB version excellent.

If you are a Dune fan, get both games and try them for yourself. If you are into AH board games, then you might just try this one to see if it meets your tastes without dismissing it out of hand. If you are one seeking a great board game to kill time with your friends, then get Dune from Parker Brothers. I think that I picked up my copy off of eBay for around $5-$10. You won't be disappointed (even if you thought the movie wasn't the greatest).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game and hope to try it out very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Boddy
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
someotherguy wrote:
russdogg99 wrote:
Parker Brothers is known for making awesome board games

That says everything you need to know about this review.

So does that mean thumbsup or thumbsdown?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re: This Review

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D.
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I though I hallucinated this review, having taken much acid in the late 80's. But If the guy is serious. I say to each their own. If this guy likes the game more power to him, and if he thinks

Quote:
Parker Brothers is known for making awesome board games

Than that's okay....but I'm still getting that felling like I've taken 6 hit's and listening to Bauhaus for 12 hours straight.

If he's kidding I think it's brilliant though. Like a positive review of tic-tac-toe. very Andy Kaufman.
My hat off to you sir for making my day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agustin Galan Nieto
Spain
Madrid
SPAIN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh God, It sounds great.

I want to get a copy of this game. I'm look for a game in this way. Easy rules, dice, some of luck, and with a clear mechanicsm.

Thank's for your review. I will see it at ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I owned this game - I bought it when it came out, and even forced my older daughter to play it with me.

But it only took a couple of plays to exhaust the system's possibilities.

In short, David Lynch's movie is much better than this game. I've enjoyed it for many more hours. (Is it a little campy to look at? Certainly, but who the hell thinks they know how people will dress and act eight thousand years from now?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In short, David Lynch's movie is much better than this game. I've enjoyed it for many more hours. (Is it a little campy to look at? Certainly, but who the hell thinks they know how people will dress and act eight thousand years from now?)

You are not alone. Outside of The Elephant Man, I think Dune is Lynch's best work. Frank Herbert felt the same way too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Waddel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
What I didn't like about the movie was 2 things:

1.-The "Wierding Modules": This really had a horrible plot effect on the movie. It really didn't fit in, but I think that Lynch thought that the "sci-fi" element was lacking, so it needed something. This was totally unnecessary, IMHO.

2.-The Baron Harkonnen: No where in the book did he ever float. He used "suspensor fields" (part of the 'Holtzmann Effect') to keep his bulk from weighing him down. If you don't believe me, go back and read the book. Also, the planet of Geidi Prime never had anything like "heart plugs." And, the Baron is a Homosexual, and Feyd (being that he is Aberforth Harkonnen's son) loves women.

Two redeeming factors: Sting (as Feyd) and Patrick Stewart (as Gurney Halleck).

There's my $.02 for the thread. Now get back to the topic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Rettore
Italy
Riese Pio X (Treviso)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:

But it only took a couple of plays to exhaust the system's possibilities.

Every game has a mechanic and various possibilities. The aim isn't learning or trying them, the aim is mastering them to win. If anyone's looking for deep strategy and planning, this is the wrong game.
If anyone's looking for an hour of fun killing other players and buying tons of weapons and shields with spice tokens, this could be the right game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Montoya
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
PLAY MORE BOARDGAMES!
badge
“I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up.” ― Marty Feldman
mbmbmbmbmb
I own it...and for a 1984 Parker Brothers "roll-and-move-and-fight" game, it's fun enough.

That said, I am considering it for my next culling.

Fun?...can be.
Good?...just ok.
Needed?...not really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.