Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine has an eight year old son who I've been introducing some cool games to recently. Dominion is one he likes a lot.
He's also a pretty big Harry Potter fan so I figured I would turn him on to the TCG. I'm not going to hit him with Magic: The Gathering quite yet so Harry Potter seems like a good pick.
I dug out my small batch of HP cards that I bought waaay back when it came out and then picked up a starter and a booster box.
All the cards I have right now are from the base set.

I want to put together a couple of decks to play with him this weekend, so I have some questions:

--Is there an ideal number of lessons to include in a 60 card deck? 24 like in Magic?
--Do certain pairs of lessons work together better than others?
--Which of my witches/wizards would make the best starting characters?
Harry Potter
Hermione Granger
Draco Malfoy
Professor Flitwick
Dean Thomas
Hannah Abbot
Professor Snape

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad V
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For starting characters from the base set I would recommend Hermione and Snape. I typically put 20 - 24 lessons in my decks. I would recommend a few more potions for Hermione because her special power. She can really bring out some big spells or creatures early in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, plan to have only one or two colours in your deck. 24 lessons is probably as high as you want to go. If you start with someone who has a free lesson, or have wands or cauldrons, you can go lower, but probably no lower than 16. The general idea is to find a method of attack that you want to use, and design the deck to support it.

Maybe you like the hard-hitting monsters who cost lessons to play? So take Hermione to put the lessons back quickly, potions for healing and brown for monsters.

Maybe you like the really big monsters. Just go brown brown brown and put Hagrid in the deck. To be super-nasty, put in some red lessons and Steelclaw spells.

Want to make your opponent cry? Go for all red and steal the cards from his hand before he gets to play them.

I don't recall there being any sensible strategy with all blue cards.

My son had to learn to read when he was 6 so he could play this game without showing me his cards, so I do encourage you to introduce it to the 8yo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
24 lessons is probably as high as you want to go (typically). Depending on your starting character and the cost of the cards you use, you could probably get away with 20-22.

Depending on the cards you use, any lesson types can work well together. I only include 2 lesson types in my decks. You can easily get away with 3 types if your starting character provides one of them for you.

Of the characters you listed, I like Snape the best. Granger is good for decks that require a high lesson count. Potter is good for spells decks because he wastes less turns drawing cards. Plus, it's Harry friggin Potter. How can you play HPTCG without Harry Potter?

Quick rundown of the lesson types:
Creatures - damage and more damage, plus a little creature healing and defense
Transfiguration - good for getting rid of cards in play and swapping cards
Charms - some light damage, some decent creature defense, and some hand discarding
Potions - best for healing, provides some damage and creature defense but at a premium.

A good mix of offensive and defensive cards works well. Built the right way, all offense and all defense can also work, but the all-defense strategy is pretty boring to play.

A lot of 2-damage creatures can be just as effective as a few powerful creatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.