Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Woodman
United Kingdom
Wembley
Middx
flag msg tools
mb
Given that gun attacks against sites can only be conducted at low altitude, can a pilot attempt to suppress an attack from a site using guns (assuming he has no other weapons available) if he is at high altitude?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheesh, youve answered your own question really shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Woodman
United Kingdom
Wembley
Middx
flag msg tools
mb
Foolish_Dog wrote:
Sheesh, youve answered your own question really :shake:

Wow - hope that made you feel good.

As it is, it is not made explicit in the rules, but I have been playing it as if this is not a viable option. Even so I was just looking for clarification, as I'm working on the possibility that suppressing fire may not be the same as attacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchy, aint we?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Woodman
United Kingdom
Wembley
Middx
flag msg tools
mb
Only in cases of trolling:)

In any case, I guess its best if we bring this dialogue to an end now. If anyone does have a constructive response to my question, I'd still appreciate a reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a constructive response. Guns can only be used at low altitude, so they cant suppress at High altitude. You answered the question urself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Woodman
United Kingdom
Wembley
Middx
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for this - and I hope you don't mind me saying that I felt this was by far more constructive than your first post.

Indeed,this is how I've been playing it but in my last game ended up in an situation where I didn't want to expend AtG ordnance on suppression from pilots who were over target and at low altitude, but had a pilot who only had guns but with +2 on AtG and at high altitude. I wanted to suppress an attack which might have otherwise divested me of valuable ordnance, and it seemed to me that there was an ambiguity with the rules about suppression on this point. Needless to say, I let commonsense prevail and didn't use suppression, but evaded. The consequence being that the evasion rolls came up an 8 and 10, which meant the pilot being attacked by the site was damaged and I was left without enough ordnance to destroy the target. Of course, if either of these had come up in relation to a gun suppression at +2, the suppression would have been successful.

My initial question may have seemed foolish, but reading the rules around suppression, I wondered if it constituted the same kind of action as an attack (given that the target of suppression cannot be destroyed), and further wondered if there was an intention there to treat suppression in a more abstracted way than a normal attack thus ignoring altitude (though given that suppression attacks involve usual attack modifiers, this was probably just wishful thinking on my part in relation to a particularly tense game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guns can suppress MiGs at high altitude... Just close on the bugger and fill his canopy full of twenty mike mike!

Diff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be miss-remembering, but I think I used guns to suppress a site while flying at high altitude. I wouldn't have allowed such a move as per the intention of the rules, but I was playing the iPad version, so rules enforcement was a job for the app.

Perhaps someone else who has played the game on the iPad can confirm whether the app allows you to "cheat" in this way (or perhaps it doesn't, and it's just my memory which is faulty).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.