Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK time to vote for your most valuable minion. This is the guy that really puts pressure on the heroes as they try to undo the Sauron's influence.
Poll
Who is the minion that hinders the heroes better than anyone? During the standard part of the game, not the finale. Vote now!
The Black Serpent, Lord of Harad
The Mouth of Sauron
The Ringwraiths
Gothmog of Gorgoroth
The Witch-King, Lord of the Nazgul
      42 answers
Poll created by ctcharger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised that I'm the only one voting for the Mouth so far. He's the only Minion who starts in a central location, you get him for the whole game (or until the Heroes kill him), and Corruption is Sauron's best friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mouth is decent, but tends to die in a single fight, so not very durable. He is good against Argalad who has the South Eaves Starting Quest since he can reach it in one move and against Eometh and his Advanced Quest. Other heroes don't really need to come within his reach, so for me he either sits in DG hoping someone ends a turn within one or moves off to block a route from/to Mordor.

Black Serpent can move speedily, spawn monsters without needing influence (so you can do Monster Command + Draw Card actions if Shadow Pool for example is maxed for this stage) and can hold his own in a fight (probably 2nd best fighter after WK).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nesci
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Gothmog is a really good protector. It's reasonably tough himself AND you get to hit players with peril before they come there without having to spend a couple of actions spreading influence.
The witch king is next to useless to me instead since he comes into play way too late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the Witch-King arrives too late. What was he doing anyway?

I like the Serpent, he's tough and he johnny monsterseed. He can also move 2 spaces which for minions is a big deal. Also, he is ready to go at the start of the game. He can move 2 and then drop a monster so he can do damage from 3 zones away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ctcharger wrote:
He can move 2 and then drop a monster so he can do damage from 3 zones away.

Er, you recall that you can't place a monster in the same location as a hero, yes? So you can't use the Black Serpent to set up an ambush from 3 locations away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um yeah I knew that but he can place them on a favor or character location with no problem. Placing them in a location that forces the hero to take the long way around or take his chances with a monster tile is fun also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Black Serpent can move speedily, spawn monsters without needing influence

I guess I find the monster-spawning ability a bit lukewarm since generally anywhere I want a monster, I probably already have influence anyway.

Quote:
(so you can do Monster Command + Draw Card actions if Shadow Pool for example is maxed for this stage)

Hmm, I've never viewed a maxed Shadow Pool as a reason not to spread Influence. There is always room for more influence on the board.

Quote:
and can hold his own in a fight (probably 2nd best fighter after WK).

Agreed, but the only reason to fight with him is to block a hero for a turn. Apart from being fierce, he doesn't really do anything nasty, whereas the corruption that the Mouth and Gothmog can provide can potentially be a thorn in the hero's side for the rest of the game -- and if he pays to get rid of it, then that's so much less favor the heroes have to spend on plots. Plus, when a hero does fail to defeat the Black Serpent, you only get to place 1 influence, as opposed to 2 for the Mouth or Gothmog.

I guess what it comes down to is that I figure the heroes are going to reach my plots one way or another, and I prefer to make it harder for them to do anything once they get there than to try to block them with monsters that will just get hacked up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ctcharger wrote:
Um yeah I knew that but he can place them on a favor or character location with no problem. Placing them in a location that forces the hero to take the long way around or take his chances with a monster tile is fun also.

Fair enough. I might be more willing to do that sort of thing if the monster tiles weren't 40% blank. yuk Or if there weren't so many monsters that are so weak that they're actually more likely to empower a hero with decent agility than hinder him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right! I found myself at one point in the game trying to get my guys out of the way! Seems odd that would be the case. I also wish that if the monster wasn't defeated, he should hang around.

I am surprised to see the Mouth so low in the voting.
He starts at the beginning.
His starting location is good.
His corruption capability can be a real pain depending on what you draw.
He does die quite a bit but he inflicts some serious damage when he does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
I guess I find the monster-spawning ability a bit lukewarm since generally anywhere I want a monster, I probably already have influence anyway.

First turn monster token to Osgiliath or adjacent Edoras/Minas Tirith come to mind immediately. I pretty much ignore Gondor for influence early (too expensive for Broken Line of Kings to MT when DG next to Lorien starts with setup influence already) and very rarely bother it mid- to lategame either. Or ride two up to Minas Morgul and drop a monster to Sea of Udun if my starting Plot is there. Mordor is another place I don't use influence in, there is nothing that needs it there.

Quote:
Hmm, I've never viewed a maxed Shadow Pool as a reason not to spread Influence. There is always room for more influence on the board.

My first focus is the SP, once that's full, only take Influence Action if a Plot needs influence to be added, otherwise cards and commands. There is really only so much influence you need spread around, mostly around key locations for Plots, against Thalin influence sees more use due to Peril.

Quote:
Agreed, but the only reason to fight with him is to block a hero for a turn. Apart from being fierce, he doesn't really do anything nasty, whereas the corruption that the Mouth and Gothmog can provide can potentially be a thorn in the hero's side for the rest of the game -- and if he pays to get rid of it, then that's so much less favor the heroes have to spend on plots. Plus, when a hero does fail to defeat the Black Serpent, you only get to place 1 influence, as opposed to 2 for the Mouth or Gothmog.

You seem to have a thing about influence laugh . BS is also key against Eleanor, he can automatically force her to either combat him (which can result in two turns lost, easy, first to fight to a stand-still, second to get defeated) or force her into the Gap of Rohan route to Anfalas by blocking the coastal path. Also, Mouth's Wisdom doesn't come into play that often, he tends to go down in one, Gothmog is more useful for his ability than for his combat, but is perfectly placed to cover Orcs in the Mountains Plot at Mt. Gundabad, Mouth doesn't even have that bonus, no Plot can affect DG and he is generally two moves away from those locations that can have a Plot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mouth tends to end up in Eymn Muil in the couple games I have played. It has 6 links to other zones and tends to get a lot of traffic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
5cardstud
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I quickly narrowed this down to the Mouth or Black Serpent... The Witch-King comes too late, Gothmog always seems out of position for me, and the Ringwraiths tend to tag team with the Black Serpent more than affect things solo.

The Mouth definitely has the corruption thing going for him, but the kicker for The Black Serpent is being able to move 2 instead of 1.

Since I tend to use minions as deterrents more than fighters, being able to move into position is the top priority. On top of that, The Mouth's fragileness really hurts his deterrent ability, despite the free corruption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.