Railways of the World» Forums » General

Subject: cube colors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dario Catalano
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had an issue with cube colors in RotW first edition. Everybody else in my group seems to be able to distinguish blue and purple cubes easily. For me they look totally indistinguishable. Moreover, as there are other annoying issues in the 1st edition and I really love this game, I was thinking of upgrading to 2nd edition. Looking at the pictures posted here, however, it is (very) unclear to me if upgrading is actually a good choice for me. From what I see here I would have no troubles at all in distinguishing colors. Things get less exciting when watching this picture, if this is reality I would have more troubles in telling apart blue from purple (but still not nearly as many as I have now with the cubes of 1st edition).
Moreover this post raises some serious concerns on me.
So my question is, does anybody having my same colorblindness, experienced problems in distinguishing blue and purple cubes in the new edition of the game?
Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to the 2nd edition, but, if you can tell the city colors apart on the 1st edition map then you could just buy some pink cubes and use those instead. Then get a sheet label and print the pink new city markers (available in the files section) and you'll be good to go.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/528748/the-blue-cubes-must-g...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't address the difference between 1st & 2nd edition, but here's a suggestion for the cubes...

Get a silver sharpy and put a dot in the middle of (or a diagonal slash across) each face of one of the colors. The silver should stand out clearly and make the cubes much more identifiable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dario Catalano
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you guys for the quick responses!

Actually I was considering to buy pink cubes. However shipping cost to Europe are just too high. If I have to pay 30$ (or even more if I have to pay customs duties) for a bunch of pink cubes, this costs me more or less the same as buying the new edition and selling mine half the price. Moreover, this latter solution would solve other issues I have with the 1st edition (glossy map and mexico cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender talks about it in the 1st Edition vs 2nd edition pictorial review he did. One of the pictures you posted is from that review:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/611359/so-youre-wondering-ab...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dario Catalano
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks. However in that review is written that (I quote)

"The purple and blue of the cities is quite distinct (unless you're colour blind, perhaps), and matches the colours of the New City markers and of the cubes exactly."

My problem lies in the "unless you're color blind" part. I am not totally colorblind (I was not even aware of this problem before buying this game) but clearly I have some issues with blue and purple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catadario wrote:
Thanks. However in that review is written that (I quote)

"The purple and blue of the cities is quite distinct (unless you're colour blind, perhaps), and matches the colours of the New City markers and of the cubes exactly."

My problem lies in the "unless you're color blind" part. I am not totally colorblind (I was not even aware of this problem before buying this game) but clearly I have some issues with blue and purple

I must admit, the second picture you posted looked very distinctive to me. So I think your best bet is probably going to be replacing one of the colors entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the second printing of Railways of the World. The colors of the cubes do match the city colors exactly, just as Ender states in his review. I have found that computer monitors and LCD camera displays do not reproduce purple very well so it is hard to see the difference between blue and purple. The contrast between the two *is* greater than shown in the picture. However, since color is subjective I cannot answer the question of if you will be able to tell the difference. (When I take pictures of Ticket to Ride with me playing blue and my wife playing purple the purple almost always looks blue.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catadario wrote:
Thank you guys for the quick responses!

Actually I was considering to buy pink cubes. However shipping cost to Europe are just too high. If I have to pay 30$ (or even more if I have to pay customs duties) for a bunch of pink cubes, this costs me more or less the same as buying the new edition and selling mine half the price. Moreover, this latter solution would solve other issues I have with the 1st edition (glossy map and mexico cards)

check this site: http://www.spielmaterial.de/english5/
and go to -> Pawns & other figures -> Wooden dice and octogons

they have cubes 8x8, 10x10 and 12x12. I don't recall what size the cubes in RotW are, but if I remember correctly there wasn't a perfect match..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both www.spielmaterial.de and www.bedi-spielematerial.eu/index.php are in Germnay, and have cheap cubes that have low shipping here, so it should be even cheaper to send to Italy.

I've ordered from both companies in the past, no complaints with either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dario Catalano
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very good suggestion! Thank you. RotW cubes should be 8x8 and, according to what's reported in some other posts, pink cubes should work fine (at least for the first printing of the game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.