Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am enjoying getting to know the games that are available. In my time, however, I have noticed that few games are mentioned from areas outside of Europe and North America (outside of the occasional game from Brazil or Japan). What is the status of game design in the rest of the world? Does it exist? Is this a translation issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Czech Games Edition did some good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My impression is that modern game design is not a vital concept outside the West (and Japan, an Asian country known to embrace and extend Western culture). There are, however, many traditional games from all over the world, some more and some less known. I don't think all the various mancala games of the African tribes have been entered into record, for instance. There are many endemic descendants of Shatranj (broadly speaking, in the Chess family) from various locales, some of which may not yet have English rules. Then of course there are games like Fanorona and Konane that have no obvious relatives.

I do not know to what extent new card and tile games continue to be invented outside North America and Europe. It seems that, although they're commonly regarded as traditional, new variants grow up to become games in their own right over a fairly short historical time-scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hello Gregor wrote:
I am enjoying getting to know the games that are available. In my time, however, I have noticed that few games are mentioned from areas outside of Europe and North America (outside of the occasional game from Brazil or Japan). What is the status of game design in the rest of the world? Does it exist? Is this a translation issue?

I hate to poo-poo your thread here, but Africa is... I can't think of a country in Africa that isn't challenged by something far far bigger than game design.

So that's out.

Asia... the average Chinese person works how much during a week? Something tells me boardgames aren't a big emphasis for people with no time to play. Although...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/445049/i-just-saw-a-similar-...

Mongolia, Thailand, Indochina.... probably pretty close to the same story. I don't know how Russia goes, personally.

NOW, Korea... Gemblo, String Railways, Toc Toc Woodman, and I'm sure there are tons others. Tom Vasel went to a couple game conventions there, and I think you can find them if you look in the dicetower's forum...

http://boardgamegeek.com/guild/24

Australia: These guys should have more game designers. I don't know what gives. Relatively warmer climate and people being outside?

New Zealand: There was something big here, but I can't think of it. Cannot. Think. of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seoul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:

Asia... the average Chinese person works how much during a week? Something tells me boardgames aren't a big emphasis for people with no time to play.

There are some strong game cafes in the big cities. Modern designs? Not sure. I can think of a few, but they're more rethemes than new games.

String Railways is Japanese though.

bippi wrote:

New Zealand: There was something big here, but I can't think of it. Cannot. Think. of it.

Endeavor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.