United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk Death Angel is a card game based around the 3rd edition of games workshops space hulk. The theme is similar, a team a blood angel terminator marines boarding the hulk in an effort to find a certain location and wipe out as many genestealers as possible.

First impressions were ok. The pop out tokens were good quality, and the box is well sized and is the usual good fantasy flight standard. The printing on the cards are good but i feel they are a bit flimsy. The amount of handling the marine cards and action card get, as well as the fact they dont get shuffled more than once a game, would suggest that a sturdier material would have been a better option.

Learning the game is fairly straight forward. I did to a little jumping backwards and forwards of the rule book for my first play, but halfway through game one the rulebook was pretty much discarded. Once you know what everything means on the cards, and the order everything should be done in you will probably never read the rule book again.

Gameplay is fairly straight forward. Choose your actions, resolve them, then let the genestealers attack, then draw a new event to spawn new genestealers and resolve other effects, then start again.

Despite all 6 teams having the same actions they are all slightly different, with some teams being more powerful at attacking, supporting, or moving.

Having the genestealers attack you can be nasty. 1 genestealer has a 2/6 chance of killing a marine, and with more genestealers attacking the same marine the number goes up. Support tokens given in the action phase can allow for a re-roll but the more genestealers there are the less likely your marines are too survive.

I have to admit for my first 2 locations I was thinking to myself what the hell is everyone on about, death angel is really hard to win, im blowing through this, and then on my third location things just started to go downhill and all the marines were slaughtered.

The game has a small amount of the tenseness found in regular space hulk, but is lacking on a few points. The first being that you are playing against the game only. This is a bit of a double edged sword, as it works well as an ice breaker game, or a warm up game, or something to play with people who are generally very sore losers. The fact that the direct strategic opposition of space hulk is missing is probably the most disappointing part of death angel. The game does has a depth of strategy, but you are only beating the system. Death angel does have its own level on tension, the feeling of being overwhelmed when the odds go against you. I would say to think of death angel as a space hulk on a smaller scale.

As a solo game death angel works, and even includes rules for this. The problem with death angel solo is that if you do win no-one will see it, other than that it still plays well and is enjoyable if your into solo gaming.

There are a lot of negative reviews about death angel, primarily about the combat dice. I would say that it is easier for a marine to kill a stealer in death angel than space hulk, and also easier for a group or stealers to kill a marine. You take out all of the maneuvering, overwatch, the set maps, etc, and have a combat system which has to represent all of this in one dice roll, and I think they have done well for it.

Overall I would reccomend this game if you like solitaire/co-op games and you are a fan of the space hulk/40k theme. If you like the theme but prefer a more competitive game id suggest getting space hulk instead as it is a better game overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you hit it on the head. I agree completely, it's a tense game and the dice hurt, and it's a good game but not a favorite, even solo. Space Hulk is my preference as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Miller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nice review and I share a lot of your feelings about the game. My only issue with the game is that if you lose a couple of space marines on the first or second level, you may as well just start over. The odds become so overwhelming that continuing almost seems pointless.

Still an enjoyable game though. Its fun trying to get your space marine's special abilities to work together to see how far you can get.

-Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, good review. I'm actually just about to start my first play, and I can't wait to 'discard the rule book and never look at it again' as you mentioned. For me it's been a huge pain, a really terribly written rule-set; though now I do finally think I get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah the rulebook isnt great, very badly laid out, although thankfully not very big. Like I say once you have got a game under your belt you wont need to read it again as everything is on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ok, I'm gonna admit something here: I played this a few times solo around xmas time...and cheated with the dice rolls! Yes..I totally cheated! (so what no one saw...I still feel guilty).

My point is...a few bad roles can really slaughter you. The tokens work like clue token rerolls in Arkham Horror, which I guess is part of the strategy...make sure you have rerolls!

I'm still undecided if I like this game. I enjoyed playing it solo...the wife hated it (ie: thought it was stupid) playing it 2p (though she loved my other xmas present, Castle Ravenloft). As for solo, I enjoyed it...until I discovered one of my other xmas presents...Nintento DS.

hmf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this game about 3 days ago, and in this 3 days i had :

2 2p games
2 3p games
8~10 solo games

My win rate? 2 games out of the 13++ games (yup it's THAT hard ninja)

Even with that amount of games in such short time, I'm still looking forward to my next game That alone already showed me that I didn't make a wrong choice for buying this game

I don't think a few bad dice rolls could kill you in this game. Sure losing a few marines in the early levels could heighten the difficulty level quite a bit, but with good maneuvering and some support tokens, it's not impossible to survive swarms of 4 GS (even 5 or more with Gideon and Lorenzo ) ,and win

Also a sincere advice : Let your marines die if you might, just don't let BOTH marines of the SAME combat team die. I'd take 3 less marines anyday than having an action less
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Mononen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this game on sunday and yesterday had even time to play it 2 times on solo. Excellent solo game. The first game (I had Flamer, Powersword and Librarian) I was slaughtered quite quickly after the first terminator fell and never even saw the 3rd location. The second Game I tested the rest of the teams (Thunderclaws, Thunderhammer & Shield, Assaultcannon) I easily defeated the first 2 rooms with 0 casualties. In 3rd room one terminator from the red team(Assault cannon) was killed, but right on the next turns Event phaces event he was resurrected \o/...
But he was killed later in the last room.

So the first game was utter slaughter and the second I won with just 1 casualty. The Assault cannon teams Move & activate command became my absolute favourite.

Fun game. Have to try it today with wife :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.