Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ilan Tadmor
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I've played London six times with different folks and like it a lot. One observation I had was that who ever got the East India Company card on the initial draw won. Has anyone else noticed the same thing? Is the game "broken" or is there another explanation to this situation? Has anyone considered playing without this card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EIC can give a big money boost early in the game, but it's one-and-done (absent hospitals and Whitehall -- I did play one game where I got to play EIC four times in all). But I've not seen evidence that it's a game-breaker. I don't think your sample size is sufficient, and you obviously haven't examined what else those players have done to win their games. At best, you've established a correlation, but not causation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 8 bucks gained, vs 5 from Covent Gardens and a bunch of other early cards. And you have to have 4 bucks in hand and a card to get it to work, at a time when money is short (or take a loan costing you money down the road).

A once a game instance of getting 3 bucks is broken? I don't think so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilan Tadmor
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Make that now 7 for 7. How many games would be a large enough sample?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ITadmor wrote:

I've played twice since you've posted this and both times the person who played EIC lost. How many players are you playing with and what are your typical scores?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ITadmor wrote:

Sampling needs to be random to whittle away the possibility of some systemic bias screwing up the results. No number of games played by you is going to be enough to statistically declare the game to be objectively broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a problem of independent measures more than sample size. Group thinking may be a factor.

ITadmor wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.