Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Long
United States
St. Helens
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So many times, we find ourselves in need of a good game to play but without time, and surrounded by people who we barely know...

Well, maybe not that often. But in a few weeks I'll be at PAX East and likely stuck in a line with some other people, needing something to do. While video games and "talking to people" is all well and good, I'd rather play a game!

However, I don't think breaking out and setting up a game of Arkham Horror would work that well in an area of limited space and with limited time.. so I need some help. Here's the criteria for what I'm looking for:

Fast to play (max of 30 minutes, or rounds going quickly)
Easy to teach (need to be able to teach it easily to people who may not board game)
Easily transportable (not body cavity transportable, but in a small messenger bag or something)
Not much setup (might not have much space)

Some ideas I've had were Zombie Dice (never played it, but heard it's good) and last year I tried Munchkin although it took a little while to teach due to all the various different cards, and can take awhile to play through. I've thought about Fluxx, but don't really know if that would work well..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d say you must have a look at nestorgames.
They are specialiced in "fun to take away" and nearly all their games fit your criteria.
Most of their games are rather good, it´s hard to give you a more precious reccomendadion without knowin number of players, preference of luck and strategy, ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Food Fight!
fits the bill for me for 2-4 players.

Nyse 1-10 players
I haven't played it, but Ben is a fellow member of the Board Game Designers Guild of Utah (http://BGDG.info) with a good track record for abstracts with Nestor games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hive abstract
Blokus Duo abstract
Ingenious: Travel Edition abstract
Coloretto card game
Parade card game
Fairy Tale card game
Mr. Jack Pocket deduction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KT
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A second vote for Hive
Interplay is a great small two player game, that simply doesn't get recommended enough
Army of frogs is nice because its a four player
Travel editions of things like cathedral, or quoridor could go down well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Long
United States
St. Helens
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool stuff! Thanks for the recommendations, I'm gonna have a ton to look through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Parade and Fairy Tale, they're both good choices.

Also have a look at Sluff Off! (specifically the recently released Wizard Extreme version), Haggis, Biblios and Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have a 3-deck plastic box that I use to carry For Sale and Drahtseilakt (the German version of Relationship Tightrope) and the related counters. With the Drahtseilakt deck I can also set up a game of No Thanks! and use the counters from For Sale for the tokens. All three are quick games for 3-5 players, and the plastic box has simple latches to keep it from springing open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Long
United States
St. Helens
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NYSE looks perfect, although I am not sure if I can find a copy... And I'll need to play Death Angel before I buy it, I'm not sure if I can teach the rules quickly enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For NYSE you might want to check with Ben Stanley as he was trying to trade one in a recent math trade. He might have a spare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three fun and easy to transport, teach and play games are:

Saboteur
Pickomino
Space beans

I would also second the votes on No Thanks and Hive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Traders of Osaka (just practice explaining how the scoring works ahead of time )
R-Eco
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation (original set that travels well)
Biblios

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick stevens
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Looney Bin- teachable in less than 2 minutes, playable in half an hour...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Unnamed Object.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Boddy
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
At the risk of getting a severe beating, I suggest up Munchkin. It doesn't require much space, it's two decks of cards, a die, and some counters, and people can come and go fairly quickly. You can deal new people in at any time.

EDIT: Ah, you've tried it. Try Fluxx then. Same sort of deal, it's portable, the rules are easy (though change often), and people can easily come and go without feeling they have to stay to finish the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
pdboddy wrote:
At the risk of getting a severe beating, I suggest up Munchkin. It doesn't require much space, it's two decks of cards, a die, and some counters, and people can come and go fairly quickly. You can deal new people in at any time.

EDIT: Ah, you've tried it. Try Fluxx then. Same sort of deal, it's portable, the rules are easy (though change often), and people can easily come and go without feeling they have to stay to finish the game.

Along those lines, We Didn't Playtest This At All would be great for a line game too. Simply a deck of cards. But don't bring just that game, since it would verge on too fast and too light for more than 5-10 plays, would probably get old after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan brown
Canada
les coteaux
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SquadronROE wrote:
So many times, we find ourselves in need of a good game to play but without time, and surrounded by people who we barely know...

Well, maybe not that often. But in a few weeks I'll be at PAX East and likely stuck in a line with some other people, needing something to do. While video games and "talking to people" is all well and good, I'd rather play a game!

However, I don't think breaking out and setting up a game of Arkham Horror would work that well in an area of limited space and with limited time.. so I need some help. Here's the criteria for what I'm looking for:

Fast to play (max of 30 minutes, or rounds going quickly)
Easy to teach (need to be able to teach it easily to people who may not board game)
Easily transportable (not body cavity transportable, but in a small messenger bag or something)
Not much setup (might not have much space)

Some ideas I've had were Zombie Dice (never played it, but heard it's good) and last year I tried Munchkin although it took a little while to teach due to all the various different cards, and can take awhile to play through. I've thought about Fluxx, but don't really know if that would work well..

Zombie in my pocket.
Play between 5 and 20 minutes, small and can be played from 1 to 8 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SquadronROE wrote:
NYSE looks perfect, although I am not sure if I can find a copy...

http://maydaygames.com/nyse-game-by-nestorgames-205.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Look at FFG's Silverline series...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shumate
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I'd like to recommend the following:
Mr. Jack Pocket
Dixit (It gets very small if you remove the box and just include a scorepad)
Tichu / Saboteur / Bang! / Most other good card games
Dominion (Much smaller with a subset of the included cards)
Dune Express (I made a copy which is contained within an Altoids tin and which has magnetic pieces)
Citadels - Although I haven't personally played it, I know that it is very small and looks like a great deal of fun

EDIT: P.S. - Love the avatar! Earthbound is the best RPG EVER!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Pass the Pigs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:
I´d say you must have a look at nestorgames.

Not if he's in the US and needs the game in the next few weeks. Still waiting for an order I placed with Mayday in early November.

FWIW, my FLTS owner tells me that Pirate Fluxx is the best Fluxx ever.

Most of my favorite games in this niche (Roma, Traders of Carthage, Hoppladi Hopplada!, Kupferkessel Co.) aren't easy to find in the US right now.

But I agree that Parade, Fairy Tale, and Incan Gold would all be great choices. The first two scale surprisingly well from 2-5. Incan Gold skews toward slightly larger groups (and works well with all ages).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill C.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bananagrams if you have space? Great game! I play it often with Mom. Any number of players.

Bohnanza, with a rubber band around it to keep the cards in, or just put them in ziplock bags.

Jambo plus its expansions all fit in the same box and is for two players: this is another one that might need a ziplock bag/some rubber bands around the box.

Battle Line is very easily transportable for two players, particularly taken out of its box, but it does take up table space.

Ninety-Nine, three players exactly, single deck of cards, great trick taking game-- and free. Scorepad on scrap paper.

Ditto on Hive, if you have someone in your family or group of friends who likes abstract strategy games/chess. Micropul is a free game that you might like, too if that sort of thing floats your boat.

-I have thought about this sort of thing often while stuck at college waiting for the next class. Not so much this semester since I have only 10 minute breaks between three two-hour studio classes on M/W, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also "second" Fairy Tale & Parade...you might also want to take a look at Court of the Medici and The Battle for Hill 218...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet one more nod for Fairy Tale, which teaches and plays very fast, and works with 2-5 players.

Coloretto is the other rec I'd echo. Needs at least 3 to play, but (colorblind people notwithstanding) anyone can pick it up quite quickly and it plays in a reasonable amount of time.

Hive is decent, albeit slightly heavier and takes up slightly more space. So when you're going somewhere like PAX, I think games that are a single pack of a cards are probably more ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.