Hide
10 Posts

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Basic Principles of Playing Heroes Well rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D D
msg tools
I think LNOE is a great game, and is well balanced for experienced players.

But from personal experience, and from reading other's posts here, it does seem like the zombies win all the time when beginners play. I've put together a few basic principles for heroes, hopefully it can help folks ramp up their game. And please discuss - I'd love to know if there are additional tips or if I'm off-base with any of these:

1) Agree on a plan and communicate frequently with your teammates

2) Try to stick together (but don't stay in the same square unless you have a good reason to)

3) If you don't have a good gun, SEARCH! Don't let one or two zombies scare you from searching for weapons. Better to risk injury (or even death and resurrection) than to run around unarmed, afraid, and useless.

4) Don't go deep into a building if you don't have to. The doorway is the best place to be.

5) Kill smart:
- For most scenarios, you kill zombies in self-defense, not offense.
- Hand-to-hand fighting rarely kills zombies, but it does kill heroes.
- You'll only get a few precious shots out of a gun before it breaks, so make them count. And carry backup weapons/ammo if you can.
- The walking dead are infinite, so two live zombies on the other side of the map are better than a newly killed one who respawns right next to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spencer
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these are excellent points, especially number 5. I would add a couple to go along with them:

1) Speed is your primary advantage, use it. Stay out of range and out of combat whenever you can.

2) Know your role - All the heroes have different advantages and disadvantages. Work together so you can have the best person for the job on each job. That may mean being willing to part with a good weapon if someone else can use it more efficiently.

3) Team first, player second - Along the same lines as number 2, don't be afraid to sacrifice if it helps the team. If luring multiple zombies away from the manor house at the risk of death buys the team another turn, it may well be worth doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Mather
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone used a 5th Hero in a game? Might just be helpful to offset the rookie Hero player(s). At least it might even up the odds to make the game fun, as opposed to a study in Hero annihilation... zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PsychoZulu wrote:
Has anyone used a 5th Hero in a game? Might just be helpful to offset the rookie Hero player(s). At least it might even up the odds to make the game fun, as opposed to a study in Hero annihilation... zombie

As opposed to a study in Zombie Annihilation?zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junta Wombat
msg tools
There are some luck factors involved as well:

1) A Nurse Becky + Father Joseph combo can really mess up the zombie play due to Joseph's cancel zombie card ability, Becky healing him, and his immunity to the LNoE card.
This "dynamic duo" can only be messed up by "bickering" or "loner", and with just a bit of luck in the rolling, the good reverend will seriously hamper the amount of zombie nastiness coming the heroes' way.

2) The airport + an early discarded flare gun (or even worse: several). This will allow heroes to constantly range kill zombies with a high degree of certainty.
Unless the zombie master(s) get lucky and "take over" the airport (of course subject to cancellation if 1) applies as well), zombies will have to rely on very lucky card draws or (usually) getting the time to run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junta Wombat
msg tools
The main zombie objective is always to prevent heroes searching. If this is successful, heroes will stay awfully whimpy, but with good coordination, and perhaps sacrificing/decoying to keep the living dead concentrating on a single hero (leaving the others free to search) it's absolutely doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junta Wombat
msg tools
And a small reminder that some new players tend to forget:
Heroes may roll for movement before deciding whether they want to move or not.
If in a house and about to be "boxed in" by zombies, a search may yield a good item or other card, and be preferable to an unfortunate low movement roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
msg tools
mbmbmb
PsychoZulu wrote:

I have. Two times now, we've added a 5th for Defend the Manor, and the heroes won one and lost the other. In other situations, experimenting w/ only 3 heroes can be appropriate- depends on the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Calow
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Another important issue to remember (as daft as this may sound) is always read the cards carfully.

We must have played half a dozen games before realizing we were playing the baseball bat/welding torch wrong - can be used multiple times in a fight refers to the same single zombie fight.

Also dont forget to use your hero's powers - Father Joseph's willingness to take a wound to cancel a zombie card (on a 3+), especially if used in the Father Joseph/Nurse Becky team-up becomes a real PITA to zombie players.

I've had this game a couple of months now (just basic box) but have played it extensively over the festive period with my brothers-in-law and we cant get enough of it.

They went from total newbies to tactical-thinking heroes in less than a week.

I'm now eagerly awaiting my Growing Hunger expansion to launch more putrifying horror upon them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.