Seth Bell
United States
New Milford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everybody-
Just wondered if anyone lives in or has lived in Harrisburg, PA. I'm thinking about taking a job there and wanted to get a feel for the town. Let me know what you like and hate about the town.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seth,
Like any primarily government town, Harrisburg is an absolute ghost town on weekends and after 5 pm. So, aside from a few shady characters walking around, there's no one out. There's a nice park and some older houses by the river, and city island is alright, but mostly Harrisburg seems very ghetto. This is from being there a few times on layover switching greyhound busses. Other than that, there's the usual generic suburban sprawl around Harrisburg...pretty much any chain store is there. There is some sort of boardgaming group in the area, however. I hope I was helpful.

P.S. Philadelphia on the other hand is a much better city and close to New York, DC, and Baltimore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'll have to agree. Harrisburg is a dump. Can't say that as a resident, only a visitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Harrisburg is kind of a hard city to categorize. It's generally small. People who live in Pittsburgh or Philly consider it almost like moving to the suburbs.

It has its own minor league team, the Harrisburg Senators on City Island. Inner city is 7 streets wide from the Susquehanna river to Cameron Street. The river side front street is beautiful. Once you hit Cameron Street you hit "The Hill, which has low income housing up until you hit about 20th Street, where the houses get nice again. It has most of the standard urban problems. Public schools aren't that great. Crime/drug activity high in certain areas, other areas really rather nice. Near a lot of good State Parks, including a very close and nice Wildwood lake Sanctuary.

Cultural life is fair to midling. It has the Sunco performance theater which has an IMAX and science center. It will get Art/Folk acts like Dar Willams, LadySmith Black Mambzo, Tibetan Monks, etc. There is a Harrisburg Symphony. There is also yearly Shakespeare in the park which is free and quite good. It also has the National Civil War musueum which I've never been to.

It is about 30 minutes from Hershey, home of America's favorite Chocolate. They have a hockey team the Hershey bears, and their stadium draws Sting, Aerosmith, and even U2 once.

Traffic is generally good.

Nearest gamesstore is in Palmyra which is maybe 35 minutes away. It's called Pasttimes and its great. There is a gaming club that meets in a library in New Cumberland which is just on the other side of the river every other week. There used to be a Central PA gamers club that met in Harrisburg. I haven't heard about them lately, but I don't live in town anymore so that would explain why. They may have morphed in to the New Cumberland group.

Anything in particular you want to know?

We moved out of the city years ago and have been glad for it. But we didn't live in the best part of town, and have kids. There are plenty of places within a short commute, so its a fine place to work if you want to live in suburbia.

If you move to Carlisle (30 minutes away)and start a Carlisle gaming club let me know!

Not like you'll pick a job offer based on your gaming possibilities, but here is a link to the New Cumberland group just so you can see what potential is there for that one small portion of your decision making.
http://www.boardgamerspastime.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Bell
United States
New Milford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of jobs do most people in Harrisburg have? Do they all work for the government or are there tech industries?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
A whole lot of people work for the government. I don't think anyone would classify it a techie town, though it of course has some.

Here's a list of the top 20 employers in the Metro area followed by their number of employees. Not sure what the date is on this but it looks like what I would have expected. As you see a big drop off after the government employees.

Commonwealth of PA State Government 31,200
U.S. Government Government 11,600
Hershey Foods Corp. Food, Food Processing 5,600
Highmark Blue Shield Insurance 5,600
Tyco Electronics Corp. Electronics 5,332
Hershey Medical Center Health Care 4,251
PinnacleHealth Health Care 3,587
EDS Corp. Electronics 2,708
Rite Aid Corp. Drug Stroe Retail 2,375
County of Dauphin County Government 2,175
Fry Communications Publishing 1,688
Capital Blue Cross Insurance 1,661
PA Steel Technologies Steel Manufacturing 1,500
Roadway Express Trucking 1,500
Bookspan Book Club 1,200
Holy Spirit Health System Health Care 1,194
County of Cumberland County Government 1,093
Harrisburg School District Public Education 1,100
West Shore School District Public Education 1,015
ABF Freight Systems Trucking 834

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.