Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I was wondering if there is an official ruling on whether the number of cards I have left is open information? For example, somebody called tichu and only has 1 card left. I have the lead so knowing that helps me to know I shouldn't lead singles. So, should I be able to ask that? I doubt we'd ever care in a friendly situation, but I was wondering how this would be handled in say a tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyboy157 wrote:
I was wondering if there is an official ruling on whether the number of cards I have left is open information? For example, somebody called tichu and only has 1 card left. I have the lead so knowing that helps me to know I shouldn't lead singles. So, should I be able to ask that? I doubt we'd ever care in a friendly situation, but I was wondering how this would be handled in say a tournament.

No idea about "official", but in most card games, it's public knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen it as anything other than open information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That's good. It seems to make the most sense. I was mostly just curious, because it can really change what you lead knowing how many cards people have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be especially hard to play well if you aren't allowed to know when your opponents are down to zero cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The iPad version shows card count in hand if that means anything.

In my experience, It's safe to infer that card count in hand is open information. It seems like hidden card count is usually explicitly denoted in the rules such as in Condottierre. You are only entitled in that game to know if other players have cards or not which is denoted in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
It would be especially hard to play well if you aren't allowed to know when your opponents are down to zero cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How could you call Tichu if you.only had one card in your hand? You have to call Tichu before you play your 1st card, yes? Am I missing something??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
raile wrote:
How could you call Tichu if you.only had one card in your hand? You have to call Tichu before you play your 1st card, yes? Am I missing something??

In my scenario they called Tichu before they played, but that player is now down to 1 card left and I have the lead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duh. I am an expert in missing the obvious interpretation... shake

monkeyboy157 wrote:
raile wrote:

In my scenario they called Tichu before they played, but that player is now down to 1 card left and I have the lead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I'm in agreement that it should be open information. But one player we taught (a bridge nut and rules lawyer) was very quick to ask if it was in the rules. He seems to think you should have to count everyone's cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate it when people ask how many cards I have every 5 seconds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I hate it when people hold their cards in such a way that I have to ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate it when people complain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.