Subject: Many questions.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael H.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Hi! Yesterday I played my 4th game of Last Frontier and finished it more or less successfully. I really LOVE this game!

There were some questions I hadn't been able to answer, here we go:

1) Are dead marines staying on the board and do I have to take them with me to be allowed to start the last shuttle before the reentry token hits the 4?

I played this way: I replaced my dead marines with the KIA counter and let two marines each carry them every time the group was moving and of course aaall the way back to the shuttle. During exploration phases this is very easy, the casualties didn't handicap my movement even in the slightest.

2) In a single exploration turn, two marines could easily carry e.g. 8 casualties one by one from a space to another (both occupied of course), couldn't they?

3) For which of the following I'm getting VP for? (if rescued in a shuttle of course)
- inactive Marines (KO, seriously wounded)
- dead Marines

Alien animals are hit as determined in the chart 7.0A, column "Defense": Acid Sprayer - Human, Predator - Human, Herbivore - Alien.
4) But if you kill them with a K result, which of them are spraying acid?

I played with only the "alien" ones being full of deadly acid.

5) If I get a "K" result on a down alien, does it spray acid? Or is the only safe way to kill them downing and waiting (and perhaps down them again^^)

Berserk units: The rulebook says, it will attack any active unit.
6) So, you could be ambushed by an alien and an insane scientist, and with some lucky placement rolls, the berserk jumps onto the alien (because it's closest unit)? *g*

And last but not least the insane crew member riddled me: He appeared and attacked (of course -> berserk). I saw a very short section in the rulebook about "subdue".
7) Is the only way to get rid of the mad crew member, to attack in close combat and hope to roll a 3(=KO) or 6(=S)? If he dies, is he accounted for 1 crew member, or only if he is alive and subdued or KO?

Ooof, much more text than I expected.. Some hints or opinions would be appreciated, thanks in advance! I can't wait to play again.. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see people are still enjoying our second product, as we approach its 20th anniversary. I don't have the rules handy right now so I'm doing this from memory, but I'll check it all when I get a chance.

chobe wrote:
1) Are dead marines staying on the board

No, you remove them immediately, along with all their gear.

chobe wrote:
2) In a single exploration turn, two marines could easily carry e.g. 8 casualties one by one from a space to another (both occupied of course), couldn't they?

Yes. During exploration movement you're basically getting unlimited tactical moves.

chobe wrote:
3) For which of the following I'm getting VP for? (if rescued in a shuttle of course)

Just the inactive Marines.

chobe wrote:
Alien animals are hit as determined in the chart 7.0A, column "Defense": Acid Sprayer - Human, Predator - Human, Herbivore - Alien.
4) But if you kill them with a K result, which of them are spraying acid?

Just the Aliens. Even the acid sprayer animal doesn't have acid for blood.

chobe wrote:
5) If I get a "K" result on a down alien, does it spray acid?

Yes. There is no safe way to kill them; if you down and wait, they might pop up, surprise, and kill you.

chobe wrote:
Berserk units: The rulebook says, it will attack any active unit.
6) So, you could be ambushed by an alien and an insane scientist, and with some lucky placement rolls, the berserk jumps onto the alien (because it's closest unit)? *g*

Right. It took some testing to get them all to work right together, and they're a little clunky by modern standards, but the point of the behavior rules is to make some things act in unexpected, illogical ways while others seem cunning.

chobe wrote:
7) Is the only way to get rid of the mad crew member, to attack in close combat and hope to roll a 3(=KO) or 6(=S)?

Or you could try to get two Ls in a row, as they add up to an S. Or you could just shoot him and hope to avoid a K, depending on how fed up your boys are getting at having this fool shoot at them.

chobe wrote:
If he dies, is he accounted for 1 crew member, or only if he is alive and subdued or KO?

Regardless of what happens to him, he's one crew member unless you lose track of him again (i.e., an alien abducts him, or he kills everyone and disappears back into the cup). If he makes it out alive, he's one live crew member instead, which is why you might want to take pains to avoid hurting him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.