Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love carcassonne and would like to try this game.

I own discovery and have played hunters and gatherers, I did not think they were half as good as the original carc.
I felt that discovery and hunters tiles were much harder to place than carc. leaving you less avalible option to place a tile.

Do you think this is the case with ARK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ark form what i could tell, from when i owned it was exactly the same as the carc base game, just with different art.

and an additional rules for moving the ark.

don't knwo about tile ditribution but like i said it seemed mostly jsut a retheme rather than a variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Myers
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say, I didn't look at it... [rimshot]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TELBET
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Ark slightly better, but didn't think they were different enough to keep both around - gave away Carc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Begin
United States
Reno
NV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ark is my favorite Stand-alone Carc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you could somehow combine the components/rules, you could have the best of both worlds...

We could call it Carc of the Ovenant! *RIMSHOT*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So do you think I should get to game or pass due to the fact I already own carc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eva
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have them all and have played them all many times. I actually like Hunters and Gatherers best. The ark is my least favorite one. I would not recommend anyone already owning Carcassonne to buy the Ark if they are not really big fans of Carcassonne. I think the Ark lacks versatility and is boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn, and I was going to recommend it, but maybe that's just my faith bias. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, Opinions are all over the place, this is making it hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruton
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I used to fund my games purchases by juggling!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for The City, especially as it has just been reprinted. It is easy to lay tiles and the wall makes a huge difference to the game. I love the fact that the timing of the game is changed by the wall and the watchmen give an incentive (or not) to trigger scoring. The Ark is good, animal scoring instead of farms is a bonus, and moving the Ark a simple but effective touch. But, it is not much different from the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ark is easily (IMO) the best of the stand alone vanilla Carc's.

It is from the same designer as the original and was released after Carcassonne and Hunters and Gatherers, therefore benefits from refinements from both of those titles.

Farms are scored in a different way (similar to H&G farm scoring) and roads are scored different (a scoring mechanic similar to the road scoring in Carcassonne: Inns and Cathedrals). IIRC, the larger meeple (the prophet) is a one time use piece in this game.

Like I said, easily the best version. However, it is getting hard to find these days as the manufacturer went out of business some years ago.

The Complete Annotated Rules for AotC give a bit more background to this: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/37915/the-ark-of-the-c...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.