Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How to diferentiate the first from the second edition on a shrinkwrapped box? Are there any differences?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Fox
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd Edition
Plastic Insert
Cardboard coins

1st Edition
Cardboard insert
Wooden Coins

I think that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluef0x wrote:
2nd Edition
Plastic Insert
Cardboard coins

1st Edition
Cardboard insert
Wooden Coins

I think that's it.

I think the question was on a shirnk wrapped box, not an open one, I am also interested in the asnswer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just a guess, but maybe the new one will have Awards posted on the front, such as Tric Trac d'or?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1st edition not on store shelves.

2nd edition soon to be on store shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Fox
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think the coins would look different on the back cover photo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shaking it might be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluef0x wrote:

Oooh, that's an excellent point. Yes, the coins in the 2nd edition are going to be plastic versus the wooden coins in the 1st edition.

I'm pretty ashamed, by the way, that I want a copy of the 2nd edition just for the coins and the insert (at least the coins keep me from wanting it *just* for the insert).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
bluef0x wrote:

Oooh, that's an excellent point. Yes, the coins in the 2nd edition are going to be plastic versus the wooden coins in the 1st edition.

I'm pretty ashamed, by the way, that I want a copy of the 2nd edition just for the coins and the insert (at least the coins keep me from wanting it *just* for the insert).

Actually the coins will be cardboard in the second edition as can be seen from some pics in the gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Snell
Canada
Penticton
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one that's really discouraged by the fact they cheaped out and went with cardboard coins? I would have loved wood coins. I also prefer cardboard inserts over plastic. I'll have to try finding a 1st edition once the madness settles and people have reigned in their expectations about what a 1st edition is worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Fox
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entica wrote:
Am I the only one that's really discouraged by the fact they cheaped out and went with cardboard coins? I would have loved wood coins. I also prefer cardboard inserts over plastic. I'll have to try finding a 1st edition once the madness settles and people have reigned in their expectations about what a 1st edition is worth.

I don't know if I would call it "cheaping" out. Apparently there was a detailed blog post a while back as to why they went with the differences in the second edition.

Personally, I think the wood coins seem a bit out of place in the first edition; even though I generally prefer them over their cardboard counterparts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entica wrote:

I'd be interested to know how the retail price is going to be affected by these changes; I don't want to feel I'm paying more for less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entica wrote:

I'd trade you my first edition in a heartbeat. The cardboard insert in the first edition is flimsy, so the contents shake around more, it just bugs me. I could give or take the wooden coins as compared to the cardboard ones. The wood is nicer, I suppose, but the cardboard doesn't bother me in games like stone age, so I'd be fine with it.

Seriously, if you want to trade when the 2nd edition is released. I can either buy myself the second edition and you paypal me the cost and shipping fees or whatever, but I would do it if you are interested.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
entica wrote:

I'd rather have the cardboard. The wooden coins look kinda cheap.

I'm also willing to bet that when the Leaders expansion comes out, first edition owners will be stuck with wooden $1 and $5 coins along with the new cardboard $9 coins. I'd rather have it all one way or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
entica wrote:

I'd be interested to know how the retail price is going to be affected by these changes; I don't want to feel I'm paying more for less.

You know what? I'd rather they reduce the box size and price. So much air in the box at the moment.

It will EASILY fit in Alea-sized box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
This is just a guess, but maybe the new one will have Awards posted on the front, such as Tric Trac d'or?

Probably not - the award was announced about a week ago, and they say that the 2nd Printing should be in stores within the week.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dunn
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some of the reprinted versions and I can confirm they do have the Tric Trac d'or 2010 Award symbol on the front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Snell
Canada
Penticton
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entica wrote:

Ok, after seeing that interior photo of the 2nd edition, I have to totally take back what I said about the insert. The 2nd edition insert is far superior.

As for the cardboard coins... we shall see
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
bluerat wrote:
I have some of the reprinted versions and I can confirm they do have the Tric Trac d'or 2010 Award symbol on the front.

Really? That was fast - and really cool.

Is it a sticker, or is it printed onto the box itself?

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamethyme wrote:
bluerat wrote:

Eric

What about the quality of cards? Have they improved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shawn_low wrote:
fellonmyhead wrote:
entica wrote:

You know what? I'd rather they reduce the box size and price. So much air in the box at the moment.

It will EASILY fit in Alea-sized box.

Ya but there's 7 Wonders in there... they need a BIG box to contain all that awesome pile of Wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrescan wrote:
Gamethyme wrote:
bluerat wrote:

Eric

What about the quality of cards? Have they improved?

Also, I noticed in this picture

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/929416/7-wonders

The second stage of wonder has an icon instead of words, that's new too right? Did they change all the wordings to icons now? If the quality of cards is improved as well, will I really have to upgrade my copy? And the talk of Leaders expansion only having cardboard coins shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
bluef0x wrote:
2nd Edition
Plastic Insert
Cardboard coins

1st Edition
Cardboard insert
Wooden Coins

I think that's it.

the wonder boards of the 2nd edition have icons instead of words for special abilities (like play last age card or play discarded card for free) which is stupid really, icons were definitely not needed there, 1st edition was fine with words. so I think 1st edition is the best edition right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.