Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam K
Poland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've a question. In rules there is a sentence: "the player who issues the challenge announces the number of cards he or she intends to flip over..."
question is - can I announce zero?

When in game there are only 2-3 players, and they have only 1-2 cards, there will be very good to announce zero cards. I can't put new (because I've only one - for example) so I've to challenge - and sometimes is good to announce 0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan brown
Canada
les coteaux
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
no you must at least bid 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did try it with three players and there isn't really much fun in the game. You can't play it with two normally.

But you need to bid 1 on a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
I did try it with three players and there isn't really much fun in the game. You can't play it with two normally.

But people can get eliminated during the game so you can drop down to 3 or 2 easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monika Żabicka
Poland
Wodzisław Śl.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is, not only with few players, that if someone has only the "skull" card left they can be easily eliminated by the others. since they're obligated to announce 1 the rest will put down skulls only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot that thing for a moment, you guys are right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veridiana wrote:
The problem is, not only with few players, that if someone has only the "skull" card left they can be easily eliminated by the others. since they're obligated to announce 1 the rest will put down skulls only.

I've seen this situation arise a couple of times now and only once did everybody pass to eliminate that player. Almost always there are some players (usually those who've already won one challenge) who are just too greedy not to raise the bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I might just be missing some rules from the game...

Why would somebody only have the Skull card left?

Haven't you lost if this is the case? (as you will always have at least one card down, must bid 1, and must take from your own pile first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:

Haven't you lost if this is the case? (as you will always have at least one card down, must bid 1, and must take from your own pile first?

Someone can overbid you. I guess it depends on the group you play with but I've seen that happen often enough (the dynamic is a bit like the prisoner's dilemma).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runkst wrote:
mfl134 wrote:

Someone can overbid you. I guess it depends on the group you play with but I've seen that happen often enough (the dynamic is a bit like the prisoner's dilemma).

I understand you don't definitely "lose" as in "out of the game", but you also can't ever win. How can I possibly score another point? Do you have an example?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still win by eliminating all other players. I admit this will be very, very difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One could even say it is impossible aside from poor play from the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel B
France
Paris
flag msg tools
I'm just a villager! Believe me!
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:

Haven't you lost if this is the case?

At least in the French edition, there's a rule that explicitly says that when you only have one skull card left, you are eliminated at the moment this card is revealed. Note that if the challenger do not choose your card to turn over, you're still in for a new round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herve Marly
msg tools
I can illustrate your question by a example in a party once I played.
They were only three players in the end of the game :
Arthur had a "Rose card" in is hand,
Beatrix and Claude had a "Skull card" in they hand.

The challenger, Arthur, had to bet because he had only this last card (like the others). He said "2 cards". Beatrix did not overbid and so Claude.
Arthur first had to flip over his own card, that was a rose, good…
Then (after a pretty long reflexion time) he choosed to flip over the Claude's card. Bad luck, he had lose because the Claude's card was a "Skull". Arthur was out of the game (because he has to discard his last card), and Claude also because his "Skull card" was flipped over.
So, Beatrix won this game because she was the last player "alive".

Whaouh ! what a suspens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
manur wrote:
mfl134 wrote:

Haven't you lost if this is the case?

At least in the French edition, there's a rule that explicitly says that when you only have one skull card left, you are eliminated at the moment this card is revealed. Note that if the challenger do not choose your card to turn over, you're still in for a new round.

Page 8 of the English rules also say this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, 2 players left. Player 1 has a rose. Player 2 has a skull. Player 1 plays first and bids 2. Who wins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
So, 2 players left. Player 1 has a rose. Player 2 has a skull. Player 1 plays first and bids 2. Who wins?

As far as I can tell, they are both "eliminated", which sounds like nobody wins. How you want to interpret that for purposes of recording the game result is not clear.

If you must declare a winner, it seems reasonable to say those 2 players tied as the sort-of winners, since they lasted the longest - all other players were eliminated earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
mfl134 wrote:

As far as I can tell, they are both "eliminated", which sounds like nobody wins. How you want to interpret that for purposes of recording the game result is not clear. :)

If you must declare a winner, it seems reasonable to say those 2 players tied as the sort-of winners, since they lasted the longest - all other players were eliminated earlier.

Alternatively, I might even rule that Player 2 wins.

My reasoning, Player 1 was given the chance to win by bidding 1. So therefore I rule it in favor of Player 2 who obvious did a good job bluffing or had a great poker face.

Alternately, lets say Player 2 had to bid first here. Player 2 bids 1. Player 1 needs to pass to win.

So, basically to avoid ties I will say that the challenger loses first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masoud Tabatabaei
Luxembourg
Luxemborug
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use a house rule like this: when a player's last card is revealed and it is a skull, that player puts back the skull in his other discarded cards and draws a new one randomly. This way the other players don't know whether in the next turn he has a skull or a rose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
masoudtab wrote:
We use a house rule like this: when a player's last card is revealed and it is a skull, that player puts back the skull in his other discarded cards and draws a new one randomly. This way the other players don't know whether in the next turn he has a skull or a rose.

The rules cover that as well. When your last card is revealed to be a skull, you are out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.