Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

HeroQuest» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Are we going crazy, 2 girls and 1 non gamer playing HeroQuest in 1 night rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamison Munn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tonight at my place was game night. Me and friend decided to get into some old school dungeon crawling action. One friend had played HeroQuest before and one had not. We started on the first quest when the Amanda showed up. She was quickly talked into taking command of the Dwarf. I was playing the bad guys. For an intensive purposes the first quest ended with the Barbarian walking into the 2 Chaos warrior room and wounding one of the them. The Wizard rushing to help his comrade cast a mighty genie to attack the unwounded warrior. After a miraculous block the warrior emerged unscathed and chopped down said Wizard while the Dwarf and Elf rushed to help. The Elf also fell before the warriors were dispatched a dejected Barbarian & Dwarf escaped through the stairs. Not all was lost however the Dwarf managed to score over 200 gold pieces!

Sadly after that game Amanda had to leave. As the forces of evil I decided my friends could spend some gold and revive their friends and skip to the second scenario. As we were preparing to start one of my non gamer friends got off work. Now this person probably hasn't played a board game in 5 years or so and back then he was talked into a game of Axis & Allies (not by me) and said it was one of the worst experiences ever. He decided the painted minis and cool furniture were enough that he would give it a shot. While the other two players were deciding on what character to give him my friend Jessica came downstairs, now earlier before quest 1 we had tried to talk her into playing so each player could control one hero. She had politely declined and by politely I mean you got a sense that she would not be playing HeroQuest tonight or any time in her life. Yet here we were an hour later and she takes command of the Dwarf. Also keep in mind it was fairly late in the night I expected both would decline playing me and the other two hardcore gamers would play 1 more quest and call it a night. Needless to say my mind was blown.

So a newbie, a girl and 2 gamers walk into a dungeon. Quest 2 the heroes were trying to rescue one of the princes knights. My friend despite not ever playing a game like this or games in general beside a horrifying A&A game and some monopoly as a youngster, was keen to learn everyones abilities, spells and monster cards to better understand what his character (the Barbarian) should be doing. He also kept a close eye on the various actions he could do never missing a chance to search for treasure or a secret passage. The game went smoothly for the hero's except for the hapless Elf who after missing numerous times the very first Goblin he ran into, was slain by the very next Orc. They clear each room methodically found the secret passage and rescued the Knight. It was past 2 now I started cleaning up the furniture I told the hero players not to forget the quest reward of 240 gold so write it down so if we ever play again you will have that gold. I knew a night like this would probably never happen again.

My non gamer friend said "we can buy stuff?" he had meticulously studied all the game play elements earlier except the armory, now he was intrigued. "Lets play one more."

So a newbie, a girl and 2 gamers walk into a dungeon. Now I have seen it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! I'm not surprised at all! It's a fantastic game that stands up to the tests of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game through a trade and ready to play it with some friends. I agree that it is a good game even after so many years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Each hero is automatically revived after the end of a quest if all the other hero(es) escape successfully.
Just walk over the spot they died to pick up their equipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am itching to break out my old copy and try it out with the wife and grown up kids... I just have to dig it out of storage and reead up on the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
I just have to dig it out of storage and reead up on the rules.

I say "Just do it"...*nike symbol*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to have this game, I loved it, and had 2 expansions. I'll have to keep checking eBay to try and get it cheap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.