Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allies

First 11 turns the allies have one main worry : the ports. For a sucesful game the allies must own at the end of 11 turn at least 3 minor ports and 1 full major port. Plan your strategy to maximize the number of ports and don't worry about losses or about accepting attrition. Just take ports and push east.
After turn 11 search for contact, do attrition and push east.

Axis
Attack with armor each turn. Don't worry about losing armor, with so many kampfgruppen to be produced your armord divisions have 4 steps for game purposes, and the combat is about steps much more than about factors.

Salud!
Oscar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raynald Foret
France
Thorigné-Fouillard
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I completely disagree with the advice to the allies player. The success of the first 11 turn is mesured in term of ports, Germans losses and hole in the Seigfreid line.

1 major port and 3 minor ports by the end of turn 11 is a bad result if there's is no major breakthrough in the SF line or if the German army have not suffered heavy losses.

If the Allies focus exclusively on the ports, he needs to aim and acheive a better result than that if he wants to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was speaking about a mininum figure, of course, poor wording on my part. I will edit the original message. If the allies don't have a major port operational by the turn 10-11 (l'ordre de magbitude, pas le tour exact) I see difficult for them to win the game about a decent axis.

And it is not obvious, the allies I've seen on my club focus on the breakthrought, obsessed with not being traped on the bocage or not being delayed too much after a land in Bretagne. For example, both landing in Bretagne have ignored Brest and pushed east. The axis takes large losses in first turns but after the free plane disappears, they are hopelesy stalled without Major Port in the channel, with very few support per turn and an axis able to counterattack with one hundred factors. And without bad tactical playing by the allies, just poor strategic decisions.

Je ne crois pas que vous soyez en complet desaccord avec moi, mais c'est vrai que l'estrategie allié ne doit pas se limiter juste aux port. Etant moi même d'accord avec vous, et l'opération "être d'accord" étant commutative, on ne pas être en "complt desaccord"... Si vous me permettez la petite blague mathématique

So, Mr Foret has reason pointing to me one thing... The allies must not just focus on Ports, but also push east and do attrition on the axis every turn. But, don't forget the ports

Salud!
Oscar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By turn 11 Cherbourg, Marseilles, Toulon were up and running. Vannes, St Malo Dieppe and 2 beachheads are also in hand. That amounts to 2 major ports and 5 minors. The allies will get three random and one air support most turns till the weather turns bad. The Germans only equal that when Hitler is satisfied.

Le Havre is under repair, Antwerp is ready once the Scheldt estuary is cleared. Brest and Calais are about to fall to assault. Thus they'll have 6 majors by the end of November which is the top of the supply table. To take Brest from 3 German divisions and repair it requires several divisions a PLUTO marker and a support. Those resources might pick up major ports faster on the channel coast on the march and be going in the right direction.

Dunkerque, Lorient and St Nazaire are screened. Bordeaux is liberated but not repaired as both banks of the Gironde estuary are contested. Amsterdam and Rotterdam remain in Nazi hands till the end. These are surplus to requirements anyway.

With only 1 major port the allies will have 1 fewer support each turn. That will reduce German casualties, delay PLUTO movement and cut armor replacements. Bad but it will probably be rectified during the winter anyway. Without a single major port it gets much worse, another support a turn lost and only 3 sea transport points. That's probably enough to tip things in the German player's favor just as Oscar says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.