Simon Germann
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hi there,

BrettspielWelt has been quite disapppointing for me so far, from what I experienced.

Don't get me wrong... I think it is an awesome gaming platform, and I think the crew are doing a fantastic job.

I'm talking about the community of players, which too often ruined my gaming experience there... I have to say that I've been very surprised about the amount of nastyness some people I have been playing with on BSW displayed...

Here is a short summary of what I mean, categorized in different player types (everything is based on real experience) :

The Griefer :
Griefer : "Hey! ATTACK [Player X] !! He is 1st and not me! Why did you attack ME? You su**! If you don't know how to play the game, get lost"
And then comes the end of the game, you realize that the griefer is often well placed on the podium, and that apparently he did pretty well considering everybody was against him during all the game, as he pretends...
Additionnally, I usually get this at the end :
Griefer : Thanks for the game, except for [Griefer target - usually me] who ruined the game!!

The Quiter :
There is this breed of players who are seeking a high % of win for their stats, and who will systematically leave the game (or worse - stop playing until everybody else get tired of waiting) if he has not a significant probability to win. I think I've read some complaints here about that type of players.

The Stressed :
The stressed is a type of player who wants to play fast, usually very fast. You'll start to be flooded by nasty messages if you don't play at his pace. I mean, I understand that it can be very irritating when players take a while (like several minutes) to play, but all is relative here. The typical stressed will start to harass you if you take more than 5 seconds to play, which is in my view still quite reasonable .... (Special niche : Caylus).

The Insulter :
The insulter is a subtype of the griefer, who will start to flood the chat with nasty and insulting (usually CAPS ON), as soon as there is something that doesn't please him/her in the game.

Of course, I can understand that some players are disappointed because the game doesn't turn out the way they want, because other players takes a lot of time to play, because they want to win ... But I also think that the keyword when playing games is to have "FUN", and that some of the players seems to forget it ...

Im aware that you can /report players, and you can keep track of them so you don't play with them again... The problem is that unfortunately, I have been encountering these type of players actually more than nice and fairplay players. Which lead me to question the community and to write this post...

Am I particularly unlucky? Did you have similar experiences? What is your feeling about the BSW community?

I apologize if my post is redundant to any other post - I didn't find any similar one when I searched for it.

Simon.

(edited for format inconsistencies)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen L
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about those problems you've had.
Is it possible for you to find like-minded gamers to join in games with you on the site? That way you might be able to avoid all of that unpleasantness!
?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to disagree - I consider it to be a fairly user-unfriendly platform with an ambivalent community because each game's implementation is generally done BETTER elsewhere (if it's been done elsewhere).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the same on most every site that has multiplayer games - generally worse with sites that tend to attract a younger crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note: there is a bit of a cultural disconnect perhaps with your "stressed" category. Certainly my anecdotal evidence, and a widely held belief, is that European players simply play faster than US players are accustomed to. If presented with roughly equal choices, there tends to be much less dithering and analysis paralysis with European players than with their US counterparts. (Ever wonder why your European import games' play times from the box seem out of whack? They aren't for their original audience...)

Whenever I get on BSW, I try to mentally prepare myself for what I consider speed play (not a bad exercise, considering). If you want to take your time, or if there are new players, make it clear BEFORE YOU START that this is a learning/training game, or that you will be playing at a more deliberate speed.

To sum up: you will encounter many players on BSW who play faster than you, and are on BSW to play FASTER. Not to say this explains away all behavior, but you'll meet those who want - and regularly play - 7 minute games of San Juan, and suddenly has to deal with you, who wants to take all day trying to figure out which role to take on turn one...

Alex Yeager
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomo Sakata
Canada
Port Coquitlam
BC
flag msg tools
I understand. I've experienced -- not too often though -- the "
quiter, stressed, insulter", and excessively aggressive players
(who only trys to kill all of meeples in Carcasonne rather than
scoring himself).

Those people were unpleasant enough to make me wanna set up a
kill file, but BSW's kill file [/add bad **] [/save bad] turned
out to be completely useless. It doesn't prevent them from
finding me and vise versa. What's the point?

It is stressful to see those unpleasant players nearby
when you log in to game lobby, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my negative experience on BSW has been with quitters and it's the reason I no longer bother with it. I've had a few isolated instances of the other types you describe but not more than I would expect from any other multi-player online venue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
At least on BSW they only harass you if you take too long. On Asobrain your opponent can actually *kick you out of the game* if you're taking longer than they think is necessary, and you have to rejoin, even if you were the one who started/hosted the game. Once this got done to me b/c I took longer than 20 seconds to think about a Carc move.

I think the anonymity of the internet just lends itself to rudeness; FTF gaming (at least with my regular gaming friends) is much more cordial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Morristown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The very first time I played on BSW, I had someone yell at me because of the way I was playing Carc.

Very off-putting. For the most part, I only play on BSW against people I know, usually someone that doesn't live nearby, and we use it as a way to hang out/chat (usually skyping as well). Either that or I only play games I know VERY well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
At least on BSW they only harass you if you take too long. On Asobrain your opponent can actually *kick you out of the game* if you're taking longer than they think is necessary, and you have to rejoin, even if you were the one who started/hosted the game. Once this got done to me b/c I took longer than 20 seconds to think about a Carc move.

I think the anonymity of the internet just lends itself to rudeness; FTF gaming (at least with my regular gaming friends) is much more cordial.

Really? I've only seen it when you take 3 minutes or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'd definitely agree with the sentiment of playing with friends -- just joining random games is going to run you into trouble a fair amount of the time in any online situation.

Sure, the /bad list is pretty useless, but look at it this way... when you find people that are, like most, a joy to play with, use the /add friend list. It's a lot more positive welcome when you log on than a list of undesirables.

Once you've found a few polite players, you'll generally find several in their games, often fellow citizens of one of more metagame cities (I'm certainly no fan of the metagame, but those who take the time to join a city usually are far more often more civil than those just coming in for a game).

I've not had a really bad experience on BSW in ages, mainly because I know enough people there now that I don't need to join games from the lobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
simgermann wrote:
BrettspielWelt has been quite disapppointing for me so far, from what I experienced.
Agreed. I want to play there, but time is short, and if I am going be berated, or invest time in a game only to see someone quit, it's not worth it... they should perhaps have a Karma system, like DoW Online...

simgermann wrote:

The griefer :
Haven't seen this much on BSW, but I am guilty of this IRL, Settlers, Chinatown, etc... still struggling with it.

simgermann wrote:

The Quiter :
A lot of this. Scum of the scum. I add them to the bad list, but I suppose it doesn't work - I've never seen any name in red or anything like this.

simgermann wrote:

The stressed :
(Special niche : Caylus).
Also, Dominion...

simgermann wrote:

The insulter :
Not seen this on BSW but occasionally on DoW online & AsoBrain.
[/q]

moonglum01 wrote:
It's the same on most every site that has multiplayer games - generally worse with sites that tend to attract a younger crowd.
http://www.boardgaming-online.com/ has been a great exception, as far as I have experienced.

AlexYeager wrote:
Just a note: there is a bit of a cultural disconnect perhaps with your "stressed" category. Certainly my anecdotal evidence, and a widely held belief, is that European players simply play faster than US players are accustomed to.
My experience is the opposite, but YMMV, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike berk
United States
rancho cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I dont know a game very well, Ill type beginer in the description.
Or as others say let the person know you play a little slow. Its also nice to find someone with a similar win percentage as you, since you will be competitive against each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Lauck
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
could say the same about greeks and Tichu... that's why I only play with registrated users and users I know if possible. But most people are friendly IF you talk to them before the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, I've pretty much given up on BSW for many of the reasons the OP stated. It seems to me that the developers care more about their metagame than about building community tools for people who may have somewhat different attitudes and expectations. I think this has limited their growth and will continue to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Zbiek
Germany
Olching
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hiya everyone,
over 30.000 new persons visit and play in the BSW a year. So the most important thing in your BSW experience is to find friends and "real" persons you enjoy playing with. Thats like in real life.

Hope you enjoy
alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
The solution is really quite simple - join a city. Everything changes.

If you are an English speaker go to the BSW English board and browse the thread about the English speaking cities - or look elsewhere for a city that speaks your native language. Pick one that might fit you and contact the mayor about possibly joining. I have found the citizens of my city to be fantastic folks. And most of the citizens of other cities are the same. Put just a little skin into a city and you get way more gaming fun back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bootstrap wrote:

But I'm sure you understand that this is very attractive for some people and is completely uninteresting to others.

I don't want to join an online community in order to play games.

If BSW only wants to serve the people who do, that is, of course, up to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Zbiek
Germany
Olching
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hiya folk,

in germany, playing board games is some kind of community fun. Sitting together, chatting and playing games on boards. (perhaps eating crisps and chips or drinking wine) It is some sort of "togetherness" which is the important factor of "german board gaming".
We, in the BSW, want to create a feeling of it, and dont want to strip away this.
Plain clicking down games with the comment "faster, faster". Joining games without chatting. Droping games because of loosing or other strange reasons is not our intend.
So get your friends, find new ones and talk with them, have fun .. enjoy

alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaulW
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglum01 wrote:

Yes agreed. The best solution is to join a town as Bootstrap said. If you don't want to join a town (or don't play enough), then use your 'Friends' list to create a list of people you like to play with:

/add friends NicePlayer
/save

That's what I have done for games like D&D online, etc that I don't play enough to be part of guild/town/etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Germann
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thank you for your contributions to this thread.
I have to say that it was a bit provocative (partly on purpose), apologies for that.

kaysewill wrote:
Is it possible for you to find like-minded gamers to join in games with you on the site?
I guess it is totally possible and I should proabaly work more towards that direction, rather than focussing on unpleasant players spotting

metzgerism wrote:
I tend to disagree - I consider it to be a fairly user-unfriendly platform with an ambivalent community because each game's implementation is generally done BETTER elsewhere (if it's been done elsewhere).
Interesting mirror opinion! Actually, I tend to agree with you about the games' implementation, as I also think that there are better implementation elsewhere "if it's been done" (and as far as I know, there are quite several games which are only available online on BSW). However, what I like about BSW is that you have a lot of different games on a single platform, even if the implementation is not perfect.

moonglum01 wrote:

Agreed. Sad but unfortunately true.

AlexYeager wrote:
Just a note: there is a bit of a cultural disconnect perhaps with your "stressed" category.
Probably. I might be even more prone to that issue because we swiss people tend to be considered very slow and hate to be stressed and pushed laugh

More seriously, as many disconnects as there might be regarding the time a player takes, I think that going ballistic because a player takes between 20 seconds more to play is not appropriate, unless specified otherwise before the beginning of the game, of course.

xtsgarp wrote:
If I dont know a game very well, Ill type beginer in the description.
I used to do that in the beginning. But I used to be kicked out of the game lobby for that reason, non-beginner players being preferred over me. I found that kind of frustrating, so I don't do it anymore unless somebody explicitely asks, or I do it after the game starts ...

Bootstrap wrote:
If you are an English speaker go to the BSW English board and browse the thread about the English speaking cities - or look elsewhere for a city that speaks your native language. Pick one that might fit you and contact the mayor about possibly joining. I have found the citizens of my city to be fantastic folks. And most of the citizens of other cities are the same. Put just a little skin into a city and you get way more gaming fun back.

I'll definitely give that a try, thanks for the advice!

ARMistice wrote:
Hiya folk,in germany, playing board games is some kind of community fun. Sitting together, chatting and playing games on boards. (perhaps eating crisps and chips or drinking wine) It is some sort of "togetherness" which is the important factor of "german board gaming".
Then I cannot agree more with the german concept of boardgaming, and my expectation of a boardgaming session goes in that direction. Unfortunately however, Im still waiting to experience that on BSW

Thanks again for the feedback and advice.
Simon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Danville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every experience I've had on BSW was terrible. The worst of the people I dealt with seemed like elitists, or they were whiny and ruined the game for everyone when a move was made that they didn't consider optimal. I've mostly played Tichu, and people have reacted in the most awful, game-sabotaging ways when you pass them a card they don't like or if you lead with a hand they don't care for early on.

Oh well, I get to play Tichu 2 or 3 nights a week in real life with people I truly enjoy being around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shootfr0mthehip wrote:
Oh well, I get to play Tichu 2 or 3 nights a week in real life with people I truly enjoy being around.
In my experience, playing Tichu on BSW only with one of those people you know in real life as your partner, and only against ranked players (preferably 500 hands), I generally have a good experience. At least enough good to outweigh the bad. And since games take about 1/3 - 1/2 the time, I can get my Tichu fix that way, and leave face-to-face time for other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've played alot in BSW a long time ago. in my oppinion the problem with the community is lacking interesting in fixing those issues by the programmers.

for along time there was no ignore function because it didn't fit to their "be nice to everyone" idea. for a while i was automatically joined in a help channel every time i logged in because someone recommended me for helping him when he was a noob, and i had no choice to prevent that. there is still no good function to keep newbies out of your games if you want to. stuff like that is one important reason (besides much less time in general) why i hardly play there anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destroyer of Islands
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
letsdance wrote:
there is still no good function to keep newbies out of your games

Actually there is now. If you are the first person to join a game and you turn on the "host" option, only you can start the game, and anyone else who tries to join must be "accepted" by the players who are joined (based on rank -- players of higher rank get more "votes"). I check everyone's info before I accept them and reject unregistered players immediately. It has cut way down on bad experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |