M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one more card left in my hand. None in my life pool. May I play it (it won't exhaust me) and still kill the minion, even though it kills me? (since it's the last card I have in my hand?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Mjeh wrote:
I have one more card left in my hand. None in my life pool. May I play it (it won't exhaust me) and still kill the minion, even though it kills me? (since it's the last card I have in my hand?)

Yes, I believe this is covered in the official FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Yes, I believe this is covered in the official FAQ.

Not in the official 0.1 version I have. I'll go look if there's an update.

EDIT: I checked, and yes, there is an 0.2 version, and yes, there's some information on this, but no, it doesn't really answer the question

--------

Quote:
Q: Can a hero player voluntarily defeat himself by playing the last card in
his hand (to move or during combat)?
A: Yes

But that is to voluntarily defeat yourself. Being defeated is often better than being exhausted, so I can understand this.

However. If you have no more cards in your hand you are IMMEDIATELY defeated, according to the rules.

My question is, when I play that last card, does it still have effect? Can I still defeat my opponent (the minion in this case) as well as myself (since I will be defeated too).

Sort of like a final stab at the minion which kills me, but also kills the minion.

Or does it work like being Exhausted. You first play the card, and then find you are exhausted and the card then has no effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see your point. It would seem then that by a literal interpretation of the rules, you can play your last card, but since it immediately defeats you, your turn ends before the combat card can have any effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure if I would say it is either death or a kill. I might think of it thematically as the hero using his/her last burst of energy to strike down the minion and still die. A real dramatic ending if you will. So, I would say that the last card played that kills you still takes effect and then you die right at the same time as that effect takes place. So - Death and a kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hector131 wrote:
So, I would say that the last card played that kills you still takes effect and then you die right at the same time as that effect takes place. So - Death and a kill.

But that's not what the rules say. The rules say that when you have no cards in hand or your life pool you are immediately defeated. So that would happen during the Choose Cards step of combat (3a), and you would never reach the Deal Damage step (3f), so your opponent wouldn't be harmed by that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Hector131 wrote:
So, I would say that the last card played that kills you still takes effect and then you die right at the same time as that effect takes place. So - Death and a kill.

But that's not what the rules say. The rules say that when you have no cards in hand or your life pool you are immediately defeated. So that would happen during the Choose Cards step of combat (3a), and you would never reach the Deal Damage step (3f), so your opponent wouldn't be harmed by that card.

Exactly.

However, this is explicitly stated for the Exhausted state, but not for the Defeated state. Thought I was missing something, but I guess I'll have to do with the implied rule. (Implied because it's explained for Exhausted the one way and Defeated another.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Hector131 wrote:

Yes, upon rereading the combat rules, I would change my statement to say that the hero would be defeated immediately at stage 3a when they choose their last card from their hand and had nothing left in their life pool before the card would deal any damage. I was thinking that the damage was simultaneous, but the cards are chosen then the revealed and so forth and I just made my comment from memory without reading the rules again.

Although - IMO - I think a mutual death would be more fun! devil he he
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.