Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:
Kirenx wrote:
I knew it would be a card based game. But one designed by Corey Konieczka? The guy couldn't even design a proper war game, I would have to have a lot of information on Rune Age to have any faith in it.

Looking at your admittedly meager ratings, I'm thinking you'd be better off just avoiding FFG games altogether instead of making statements about subjects that you obviously know nothing about.

Really? I own Arkham Horror (All Expansions), Runebound with most of the expansions, Descent with the 3 non-RPG expansions, and Runewars. Wait could it be that YOU don't know what you are talking about? Yup, seems like it. My advice, don't be such a rabid fan boy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to get back on track...

There is a mini site at FFG now:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=155...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cezary Gronek
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littleweb wrote:
FFG did have a mock-up of the box but the game cards were cutouts of the artwork and text inserted in card sleeves.

Anthony Lazaroski wrote:
I was at the event and got to play it a few times, and actually Rune Age uses nearly all new artwork.

Could you tell me what size do the cards have? From the entry on FFG website it looks like the small ones, like they use in many recent games. I hope the cards have standard size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
Really? I own Arkham Horror (All Expansions), Runebound with most of the expansions, Descent with the 3 non-RPG expansions, and Runewars. Wait could it be that YOU don't know what you are talking about? Yup, seems like it. My advice, don't be such a rabid fan boy.

And how many Corey K games are on that list? Put the keyboard down before you hurt yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysson Lago
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagremor wrote:

Could you tell me what size do the cards have? From the entry on FFG website it looks like the small ones, like they use in many recent games. I hope the cards have standard size.

Standard American Sleeves, according to the FFG website http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:
Kirenx wrote:

And how many Corey K games are on that list? Put the keyboard down before you hurt yourself.

You didn't talk about Corey games, you stated FFG games in general. I restate my earlier advice. Stop being such a fan boy. I stated my opinion albiet a negative one based on my knowledge of the designer and the information given about this specific game. I honestly do not believe this will be a good or balanced card game. If you disagree that's fine, but resorting to personal attacks because you are upset is not particularly constructive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
You didn't talk about Corey games, you stated FFG games in general. I restate my earlier advice. Stop being such a fan boy. I stated my opinion albiet a negative one based on my knowledge of the designer and the information given about this specific game. I honestly do not believe this will be a good or balanced card game. If you disagree that's fine, but resorting to personal attacks because you are upset is not particularly constructive.

You admit that you've only played one game by Corey K and yet you claim that gives you the ability to discern how this game will play, which has nothing in common with that game other than the theme. When this obvious lack of knowledge - which is what it is - is pointed out to you, you resort to multiple instances of name calling and defensiveness. And then you want to accuse someone else of "personal attacks"? Fascinating logic, that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB and Kirenx, please sort this out in geekmails or somewhere else.

The rest of us have no interest in your little squabble, and getting subscription notifications from this thread only to read another one of your remarks about your disagreement is tiring.

Thank you.

edited for grammar and sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:
Kirenx wrote:

You admit that you've only played one game by Corey K and yet you claim that gives you the ability to discern how this game will play, which has nothing in common with that game other than the theme. When this obvious lack of knowledge - which is what it is - is pointed out to you, you resort to multiple instances of name calling and defensiveness. And then you want to accuse someone else of "personal attacks"? Fascinating logic, that.

I didn't say that is the only game I played by Corey, rather the only one I own. But it is specificly my experience with the game I own (not the theme but the design and balance aspects), the information about this card game and my experience with other card games that has formed my opinion about how this Runewars card game will most likely play out. My 'name calling' in telling you to stop being a fan boy was a direct response to your unnessesary insults and an attempt to have to realize your behaviour as being misguided and inappropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Celtic Joker wrote:

The rest of us have no interest in your little squabble, and getting subscription notifications from this thread only to read another one of your remarks about your disagreement is tiring.

Thank you.

Sorry Celtic Joker, you are correct. I was a bit taken back but the insults in response to my opinion but I should not have allowed myself to degenerate to this level of bickering. If ScottB continues to troll I will no longer respond as I see this is doing nothing but upset other forum members.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celtic Joker wrote:

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littleweb wrote:

an expected MSRP of about $40. The game will include 250-300 cards.

This is where I am disappointed. I don't like Dominion but they at least put out a starter set with some variety. Yes they planned on making expansions if it sold well but FFG Plans on making expansion regardless of how it sells. This will be just like RE:DBG VERY limited in re-playability. The card combination's are very limited. This needs 500 cards in the BASE set then 250 card expansions would be fine. I really enjoy RE:DBG but again 250 cards is NOT enough variety in the way DBG games work.

Count me out it they are just pulling the old FFG Expansion machine on this one. How about they sell me a complete game that doesn't need a expansion in order to be fun for more then 4 plays. BSG was a great release. And I can't think off the top of my head of any other FFG games that didn't need a expansion to breathe new life into it a couple months after release.

For those FFG Fanboys who are going to defend the new FFG practice of selling half the game now and the other half in 6 months I do have a FFG Fan Microbadge and really loved them a few years ago but the new practices kind of turns my stomach. This will have 300 cards and they have 500 cards ready and the other 200 (plus the 50 they make up between now and then) will be a expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Admin note:

As a general reminder, users are always expected to express themselves in a courteous and respectful way. Our policy is to issue a warning on a first offense and to follow future offenses with temporary posting suspensions of increasing length. Rather than responding to content that you find offensive or otherwise violates our Community Rules, please consider flagging any offending posts as violations by using the icon. This serves two functions - first, if enough users flag a post then it will be collapsed from general view. Second, flagging posts helps bring them to the attention of the forum moderators.

Finally, in extreme circumstances you can hide all content posted by a user from your view by using the Hide User's Posts option in the menu found under the person's username. Please remember that making any public mention of who is on your Hide List is considered a zero tolerance offense.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:
littleweb wrote:

an expected MSRP of about $40. The game will include 250-300 cards.

This is where I am disappointed. I don't like Dominion but they at least put out a starter set with some variety. Yes they planned on making expansions if it sold well but FFG Plans on making expansion regardless of how it sells. This will be just like RE:DBG VERY limited in re-playability. The card combination's are very limited. This needs 500 cards in the BASE set then 250 card expansions would be fine. I really enjoy RE:DBG but again 250 cards is NOT enough variety in the way DBG games work.

Count me out it they are just pulling the old FFG Expansion machine on this one. How about they sell me a complete game that doesn't need a expansion in order to be fun for more then 4 plays. BSG was a great release. And I can't think off the top of my head of any other FFG games that didn't need a expansion to breathe new life into it a couple months after release.

For those FFG Fanboys who are going to defend the new FFG practice of selling half the game now and the other half in 6 months I do have a FFG Fan Microbadge and really loved them a few years ago but the new practices kind of turns my stomach. This will have 300 cards and they have 500 cards ready and the other 200 (plus the 50 they make up between now and then) will be a expansion.

Warning: Post is largely conjecture.

Well to be fair it sounds like the set-up itself is entirely different from Dominion. There are only a few scenarios and each scenario has it's own method of set-up, there doesn't seem to be any sort of equivalence to the "deal out ten card stacks and start" kind of thing." The event deck might be randomized but I wouldn't be surprised if most or even all of it is determined by the scenario itself. It's an entirely different sort of game (Other than sharing a single core mechanic) so already calling it out on low variety is simply unfair.

Honestly, it sounds like much of the replayability will be derived from the asymmetrical nature of the factions coupled with the focus of the scenarios. With four factions and five scenarios that would be a minimum of twenty plays to see all the game has to offer, which completely ignores repeating any given faction and scenario pairing. I can't imagine they lose their appeal after a single play, even the brief description makes the game sound heavier than that. Plus, if you play with three or two players you open up a world of combinations that leave certain factions out (I'll be mostly playing two player probably, so I'm not expecting to run through all the possibilities anytime soon after getting it).

And yes, I'm an FFG fanboy (Especially Terrinoth). And yes, I've already heard enough to be willing to buy the game sight unseen. Still, we simply don't have enough information to make any statements about how it fails (Or even pointing out any concrete strengths it has).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kaehler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:

Honestly, it sounds like much of the replayability will be derived from the asymmetrical nature of the factions coupled with the focus of the scenarios. With four factions and five scenarios that would be a minimum of twenty plays to see all the game has to offer, which completely ignores repeating any given faction and scenario pairing. I can't imagine they lose their appeal after a single play, even the brief description makes the game sound heavier than that. Plus, if you play with three or two players you open up a world of combinations that leave certain factions out (I'll be mostly playing two player probably, so I'm not expecting to run through all the possibilities anytime soon after getting it).

If my math doesn't fail me, the total number of different different games with 4 factions and 5 scenarios is 140
2 Player: 4-Choose-2 Factions * 5 Scenarios * 2-Choose-1 Faction = 60
3 Player: 4-Choose-3 Factions * 5 Scenarios * 3-Choose-1 Faction = 60
4 Player: 4-Choose-4 Factions * 5 Scenarios * 4-Choose-1 Faction = 20

This assumes that playing as Faction 1 vs Faction 2 is a different experience than playing as Faction 2 vs Faction 1 for any given scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a entry now: Rune Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Rune Age forums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricijs Zaleskis
Germany
Lauter-Bernsbach
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, beeing a big fan of FFG I would like to get my greedy hands on this
On the other hand, reading about this game reminded me of Dominion, where I have everything and like the game very much and something like Thunderstone, which I could not stand.
I hope this game adds more mechanics and adds a nice new flavour which hasn't been introduced so far
If the game isn't a copy of images from the previous Terrinoth games and can delliver the upper stated then this could be a very good deck building game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Miller
United States
Brooklyn
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Descent, the idea of Terrinoth games and Deck Building Games... so I'm in.

That said, in all honesty I'd rather see a Terrinoth RPG. meeple
Of course... it should be based on an original set of game mechanics that doesn't resemble WFRP3e or D&D4e... ... ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mantooth012 wrote:

I was at the event and got to play it a few times, and actually Rune Age uses nearly all new artwork.

As a broad guess, how much, if any, fluff text was there in the game? The few cards I've seen in the previews don't seem to have any. I'm wondering if that's representative of the whole game or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My interest on the game is tweaked right now. Sure, it looks like another Dominion, TS clone, but this one is different. There is one thing I really miss in deck building games is the MTG direct confrontation that is lacking. Maybe this is what will make RA unique. I think it will be great to be able to attack other players directly for once.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
I think it will be great to be able to attack other players directly for once.

Have you tried Nightfall? It scratches my direct combat magic itch pretty well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
soiledshortz wrote:
Teamski wrote:
I think it will be great to be able to attack other players directly for once.

Have you tried Nightfall? It scratches my direct combat magic itch pretty well...

Yeah, I'm not wild about the theme, though.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:
The card combination's are very limited. This needs 500 cards in the BASE set then 250 card expansions would be fine. I really enjoy REBG but again 250 cards is NOT enough variety in the way DBG games work.

That's assuming there's ten of each Kingdom card-equivalent, which may or may not be the case. The number of types of cards is much more interesting than the number of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stabby MacStabbyface
msg tools
AndersGabrielsson wrote:
The number of types of cards is much more interesting than the number of cards.

I'd take it even one more step further. It isn't even the number of card types, but how simple or complex the interaction is. Look at dominion. Plenty of cards, but no interaction. Take the same number of stacks and look at that many different MTG cards and you'll (potentially) see far more interaction within them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.