10 Posts

Babel» Forums » Rules

Subject: QUESTION: Red special power. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Demontreal
Canada
flag msg tools
The cards that defect are of the color of the LAST placed card.

Does migrating count as placing cards or not?

i.e.

I play blue over 3 red. If I activate red's power now, then opponent's blue desert. However I first decide to migrate a grey-grey-yellow set over my red-red-red-blue set, getting red-red-red-blue-grey-grey-yellow pile. **THEN** I activate red's special power, does this mean yellow will desert instead of blue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's always the bottom of the stack, no matter how they got there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the cards that were placed last will be on the top of the stack, not the bottom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He means bottom as in vertically.

IE, the deck was:
Red
Red
Red
Blue

He migrates, it's now:
Red
Red
Red
Blue
Grey
Grey
Yellow

Activating red will cause the opposite yellows to desert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew that, but it's confusing the way he said it, since when playing with the actual physical cards, they are on top of the stack vertically from top card to bottom card. Only if you write it out as a list does it make sense the other way.

I just pointed it out to make it clear.

The list you wrote above has the bottom card of the stack listed first. The Yellow card is actually on TOP and the Red cards are on BOTTOM. I think it makes more sense to describe the top/bottom in terms of the cards, rather than in terms of the way an enumerated list is written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I know you know, we're both just clarifying for anyone else who happens to read this later.

Cards are usually laid out like this:

Yes, the red card is physically underneath the grey ones. However, since the cards are overlapping, many folks look down at the table surface in two dimensions only and would refer to the grey ones as "bottom" cards since they are closer to them. Ben is one such person, I've known many others. You're a 3D thinker, taking into account height from the table.

Neither is wrong, it's just some people look at things differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you are all playing this power incorrectly. The cards that desert have nothing at all to do with whatever is at the top of your stack (or bottom of your column, if you prefer). The only thing that matters is what is on top of THEIR stack. So, in this scenario:
Green
Red
Red
Blue
Green
GAME BOARD
Red
Red
Red
Blue
Grey
Grey
Yellow

If we (on this side of the table) use Red power, all the Green cards (1) will defect from their side of the board. The fact that we have Yellow showing topmost in the stack (=bottommost in the column) is irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect most of us are playing correctly and Steve's example is just a typo/mistake.

By the way, I checked and the Rio Grande rules say:
Quote:
The Sumerians attract tribe cards from the opponent. All tribe cards of the opponent's side in this territory that match the opponent's topmost (last played) tribe card, switch sides.

emphasis added

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. My point is that it's the opponent's topmost card that is relevant, not yours (as the OP and others have suggested above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was only trying to address the top/bottom verbiage, and didn't check the example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.