tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Josefsson
Sweden
Lund
Skane
flag msg tools
Badges? We don' need no stinkin' badges!
badge
Wrath of Ashardalon:

More interesting monsters
Great miniatures
More interesting tiles (doors!!!)
Campaign system
More fun treasure deck for the beginner (but the Ravenloft deck is more of a challenge and a welcome expansion once you cut your teeth)

This is my personal assessment of course. Ravenloft is great fun, Ashardalon is excellent fun (let's hope the next incarnation will be awesome fun - cheesy mary sueness of Drizz'zzftghlmnrzzzt aside )

D&D boardgame is great light adventuring fun. With the growing amount of official and fan made monsters, treasures and encounters this is developing into a working version of D&D 4E: Just a little more fleshing out of the monster movement (unlikely to happen ), an adventure building system (even though it is not very difficult to figure out) and an added downtime / between dungeons enocunters system (fan version already existing, but an official one would be nice - a perfect "small" expansion) and we will have a fully featured cooperative hack'n slash RPG system). cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Second vote for Wrath of Ashardalon I think. Castle Ravenloft is more difficult and has a cooler theme but WoA patches a couple of minor issues and adds a load of cool new stuff like campaigns, chambers, doors, sentry monsters, killer treasures and more equal heroes (couple of duffers in CR) with more cooperative powers.
If you'll end up getting both (and you should!) start with Castle Ravenloft and work your way 'up' to Wrath. But, gun to my head, if I had to pick only one, it would be Wrath...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I will like Wrath of Ashardalon better...while the characters' stats are more even, their skills differentiate them and really make them into their characters (if you know what I mean). The additional aspects like dazed, poisoned, NPCs, etc add to the game also.

The one thing that is bugging me though is the new wimpy tiles. I liked the thicker, larger tiles of Ravenloft. In Wrath the characters seem out of proportion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaare D
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll go against the crowd and vote for Ravenloft. Though I agree with most of the points already raised, I feel the setting makes the game pop just a little bit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msweazey wrote:
The one thing that is bugging me though is the new wimpy tiles. I liked the thicker, larger tiles of Ravenloft. In Wrath the characters seem out of proportion.

I don't get what you are talking about.
Apart from the graphics the tiles are identical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:
msweazey wrote:

I don't get what you are talking about.
Apart from the graphics the tiles are identical.

You know what? I stand corrected, and you are right! It has been a little while since I played Ravenloft, and I must have confused the size/thickness of the tiles with another game!

Thanks...I am no longer bugged by this!whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
In brightest day, in blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power, Green Lantern's light!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of prefer the Ravenloft setting but Wrath of Ashardalon is the better game because of the improvements they made to it (better treasure, chambers, doors, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WoA. Unless you have a particular preference for the Ravenloft theme that is, in which case the differences aren't so significant as to warrant preferring WoA. WoA offers more variety, a smidgen more tactics and is slightly more difficult (a good thing in a co-op I think).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna Banana
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone, I picked up Wrath of Ashardalon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed under the "Stats" of the 2 games that Ravenloft is 2.4 while Ashardalon is only 2.1. Is it actually simpler, or are they the same? (I'm asking because I intent to play with my kids).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.