Recommend
15 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Innovation» Forums » General

Subject: Wow! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Tuepah
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Okay, finally got this game and there isn't much else to say except this is awesome!

I'm not sure why this is not rated higher...this is probably the first game I have played easily over 10 times in 2 days and the first game that after playing multiple times in a row, I still want to play! I just can't get enough....and maybe this is because I have been playing so many deck building games lately, but man-o-man do I love the idea of having every single card actually being unique.....feels so fresh to me not having the same card twice.

Another thing....chaos? Really? Okay I can see where chaos can be seen. But to me the chaos in this game is more like suspense. This game literally plays like a thriller....you have the lead now but you may not later...and I don't find the chaos to crazy either. Any games I have played, the tide hasn't turned that significantly that it can even be termed as chaos. At the very most, your opponent manages to snag a card or two that helps him/her because your defense happened to be not good enough in a particular icon...I think this fits perfectly, reminds me of a war or a team sport, where your defense may be weak in a particular area and the opponent capitalizes. This just makes me want to get revenge when this happens! in a good way!...

Mind you I have only played 2 player but I don't see any reason why I wouldn't enjoy it with more players...each player will have an advantage in a particular area and this to me would just make it that much more suspenseful....some cards by the looks of it would be significantly weakened though.

Anyways I gotta pry my mind away from the game for a bit....I picked up Glory to Rome as well but have yet to open it for obvious reasons...if that compares to Innovation's excitement in any way, shape, or form, I'm going to be a happy man or quite a while. I am a shoe-in for the expansion.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Williams
United States
Lake Mary
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree with your first paragraph. I have a pretty short attention span, but when I started playing this one, it was the ONLY game that I played, 25 games in a row (over the course of a month).

Then... I played it with four players, and the accusations that this game is chaotic seemed true enough. That doesn't mean that it's a bad game with four, but it's entirely possible to go through the whole game without ever having drawn a single red car, for example, and it becomes a completely tactical game, with no real long term planning.

Having said that, I'd play it with four, too. Anytime. I just prefer it with two.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kandell
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tuepak wrote:
I'm not sure why this is not rated higher...this is probably the first game I have played easily over 10 times in 2 days and the first game that after playing multiple times in a row, I still want to play! I just can't get enough....


7.38 and winner of "Golden Geek Best Card Game 2010" isn't high enough?

Quote:
I picked up Glory to Rome as well but have yet to open it for obvious reasons...if that compares to Innovation's excitement in any way, shape, or form, I'm going to be a happy man or quite a while.


While a very different game, GtR shares the wonderful chaos from super-duper-card-powers, so I think you'll be satisfied. GtR has only 40 types of cards (and no "ages"), so it's easier to develop a strategy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tuepak wrote:
Okay, finally got this game and there isn't much else to say except this is awesome!

I'm not sure why this is not rated higher...this is probably the first game I have played easily over 10 times in 2 days and the first game that after playing multiple times in a row, I still want to play! I just can't get enough....and maybe this is because I have been playing so many deck building games lately, but man-o-man do I love the idea of having every single card actually being unique.....feels so fresh to me not having the same card twice.

Another thing....chaos? Really? Okay I can see where chaos can be seen. But to me the chaos in this game is more like suspense. This game literally plays like a thriller....you have the lead now but you may not later...and I don't find the chaos to crazy either. Any games I have played, the tide hasn't turned that significantly that it can even be termed as chaos. At the very most, your opponent manages to snag a card or two that helps him/her because your defense happened to be not good enough in a particular icon...I think this fits perfectly, reminds me of a war or a team sport, where your defense may be weak in a particular area and the opponent capitalizes. This just makes me want to get revenge when this happens! in a good way!...

Mind you I have only played 2 player but I don't see any reason why I wouldn't enjoy it with more players...each player will have an advantage in a particular area and this to me would just make it that much more suspenseful....some cards by the looks of it would be significantly weakened though.

Anyways I gotta pry my mind away from the game for a bit....I picked up Glory to Rome as well but have yet to open it for obvious reasons...if that compares to Innovation's excitement in any way, shape, or form, I'm going to be a happy man or quite a while. I am a shoe-in for the expansion.



Could you please explain this to my game group. They just don't get it. My copy is collecting dust but it's soooooooo goooooooood.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tuepak wrote:
Mind you I have only played 2 player but I don't see any reason why I wouldn't enjoy it with more players...

I can't speak for you, but the reason I prefer 2-player is that with more players some of the powerful card effects are magnified AND you need fewer achievements to win. It's pretty easy to get a good early scoring card and win the game in Age 4. An early Gunpowder is particularly devastating; with 4 players you can easily score 8-12 points per action. Two of those and 4 achievement actions and that's game.

The effect is to make the game outcome much more random.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Leung
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
tuepak wrote:
Mind you I have only played 2 player but I don't see any reason why I wouldn't enjoy it with more players...

I can't speak for you, but the reason I prefer 2-player is that with more players some of the powerful card effects are magnified ......
The opposite is also true though. Take archery, it barely has any uses in a 2 player game and is quite obvious the card has multi-player design in mind. I sometimes wish the game has more than what is just enough to play and actually designate cards for a specific number of players to play. (Take Agricola and 7 Wonders for example.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
tuepak wrote:
Mind you I have only played 2 player but I don't see any reason why I wouldn't enjoy it with more players...

I can't speak for you, but the reason I prefer 2-player is that with more players some of the powerful card effects are magnified AND you need fewer achievements to win. It's pretty easy to get a good early scoring card and win the game in Age 4. An early Gunpowder is particularly devastating; with 4 players you can easily score 8-12 points per action. Two of those and 4 achievement actions and that's game.

In our group, we have found that the supposed chaos of the four-player game is balanced by the increased ability of the players to reign in a leading player: When a player gets a combo down that will win him the game if it isn't disrupted, the other players soon coordinate their efforts to bring him down again. The result is a game with a lot of back-and-forth, often with a dramatic and exciting climax. (that sounded dirty!)

But of course, sometimes a player gets an early lead that his opponents can't catch up with, and we have seen runaway victories in our games. They are definitely in the minority, though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
theatog wrote:
Take archery, it barely has any uses in a 2 player game and is quite obvious the card has multi-player design in mind. I sometimes wish the game has more than what is just enough to play and actually designate cards for a specific number of players to play. (Take Agricola and 7 Wonders for example.)


I think Archery is one of the most important cards in the two-player game! I rarely try to think about what cards my opponent has in hand, but if my opponent has a 1 in hand, and I'm ahead in technology level, I will try to avoid keeping a high-level card in hand, lest I give up my tech lead to Archery. If I need to return a card from hand for some reason, and Archery is the only card I have available, I will often take an extra draw action just to keep Archery in hand. It's great to be able to concentrate on scoring and not worry about an opponent being ahead in tech, because you know that a well-timed "meld Archery, dogma Archery" will catch you up.

I once won a game because I had sailing in hand and Archery in my score pile, and arranged to return Archery to an otherwise empty 1 pile. I melded Sailing at some point, which my opponent thought was just to get the symbols I needed. A well-timed "Dogma Sailing to meld Archery, Dogma Archery to get an 8 from my opponent's hand" caught me up in technology and won the game for me. We deemed this the "Boat full of archers just over the horizon" strategy.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.