Laurent Lebas
France
Le Havre
Normandie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

I'm new to the GBOH system and after reading the rule I've some questions

Regarding the leader's command range, the rules say that the path between leader and unit can be obstructed by enemy units or terrains. Is it allowed to bypass these obstacles (considering there are enough command range points) or must the path be a straight line?

I'm quite lost when it comes to several units involved in shock combat.
One unit attacks two units in his front hexes. Does it lead to one or two different combats? Do the two defending unit get a numerical advantage?
Same when attacking one unit with two units (combined attack): one or two combats? does the rules of numerical advantage apply here?
I don't really see when there's a numerical advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laurisa wrote:
Hello

I'm new to the GBOH system and after reading the rule I've some questions

Regarding the leader's command range, the rules say that the path between leader and unit can be obstructed by enemy units or terrains. Is it allowed to bypass these obstacles (considering there are enough command range points) or must the path be a straight line?

One unit attacks two units in his front hexes. Does it lead to one or two different combats? Do the two defending unit get a numerical advantage?
Same when attacking one unit with two units (combined attack): one or two combats? does the rules of numerical advantage apply here?
I don't really see when there's a numerical advantage.

Hey Laurent,

Good questions.

Is it allowed to bypass these obstacles (considering there are enough command range points) or must the path be a straight line?

The leader's command range is obstructed by a) enemy units b) terrain.
The command range must bypass those hexes that the leader (if moving), could not move through. So the path the command range must take, has to go around enemy units and terrain that the leader could not move through. (see 5.42).

One unit attacks two units in his front hexes. Does it lead to one or two different combats?

This leads to one combat. The "Numerical Advantage" does take effect. Because the defender has the Numerical Advantage there will be a two column shift that benefits the defender.

Do the two defending unit get a numerical advantage?

Yes.

This is the same as above, except that the advantage goes to the attacker. The attacker, with two units, gets a two-column shift that benefits that "one" attack. If there were three units attacking one, the advantage would be an additional two-column shift as a benefit to the attacking side.

Both of these are from 8.17.2, under Numerical Advantage, bullet point two on page 15.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Lebas
France
Le Havre
Normandie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Will

first many thanks for your help! Things are much clearer now! I've questions regarding the example given in the rulebook (page 14).It says Hittite chariot CH-2(D)has the option to shock the Egyptian LI (w). Instead of attacking this unit, is it allowed to shock the Egyptian SI (X)?Or attack W and X at the same time as they're both in its front hexes?
If the Hittite player decides not to shock the Egyptian LI (W), doing nothing, is D involved in the adjacent combat between C and X, thus giving a numerical advantage to the Hittite side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laurisa wrote:
Hi Will

first many thanks for your help! Things are much clearer now! I've questions regarding the example given in the rulebook (page 14).It says Hittite chariot CH-2(D)has the option to shock the Egyptian LI (w). Instead of attacking this unit, is it allowed to shock the Egyptian SI (X)?Or attack W and X at the same time as they're both in its front hexes?
If the Hittite player decides not to shock the Egyptian LI (W), doing nothing, is D involved in the adjacent combat between C and X, thus giving a numerical advantage to the Hittite side?

First many thanks for your help!

You are welcome! All these games are confusing at first. The more you play the more "sense" they seem to make. It will become second nature after a handful of games.

In the rulebook (page 14, it says Hittite chariot CH-2(D)has the option to shock the Egyptian LI (w). Instead of attacking this unit, is it allowed to shock the Egyptian SI (X)?

Yes, (D) could certainly attack the SI (X). There would be stiff resistance, however. First the Shock Superiority Chart would have the Attacker's hits (Tripled!!)

Or attack W and X at the same time as they're both in its front hexes?

Yes, it could do that, however that would be even more costly as it would shift the Column 2 columns to the left, in addition to the 3x penalty!

No. If the Unit D is not involved in the attack then there can be no "superiority" in numbers. It would take Unit D attacking along with C to
get the numerical advantage.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Lebas
France
Le Havre
Normandie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the rulebook is well written but this example of shock combat resolution should be more detailed, especially for people who have never played any GBOH game before. Many thanks for your help, I really appreciate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.