Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Kosareo
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to pick up this game since I don't have a Martin Wallace-esque economic game. I read through the rulebook posted here on the geek but it seems that the components were significantly downgraded in this new reprint.

Cardboard chits instead of wooden cars?

Cardboard chits instead of wooden salesman markers?

"Colorful" paper money instead of cardboard chits?

Cardboard chits instead of wooden tiles for factories?

Is this a change for the better or worse?

Anyone with the new version or who's seen both feel free to chime in please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have the new version. I haven't really seen the old components to compare to, but the components seem fine to me. The price is also cheaper for the Mayfair edition. If you don't already have the first one, I don't see how you'll really notice much. However, those that have played with the treefrog edition would probably notice. I think you're fine to get the mayfair edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the new version and I think it looks great. The only real concern I'd have is the paper money -- but then, my wife and I hate paper money and have a set of metal coins and a set of poker chips (depending on the denominations called for by a game) we use to replace paper money in ALL games we play).

But yeah. Totally worth it. Great looking game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mats Blohmé
Sweden
Simlångsdalen
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have the Treefrog original and maybe the wooden parts are nicer but I think the Mayfair board looks better and in any case you'll get a really good game.
I would be quite happy with the Mayfair edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick,

Totally worth getting. And, since it is relatively inexpensive compared to the original, I highly suggest you get the last copy available at Underhillls Games in an effort to help out everyone's favorite FLGS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a huge fan of the new edition.

I too was worried about the cardboard,but these counters are freaking massive. They are like 3 counter sheets glued together. As well, the graphics on them are nice too, and gives the game a good feel.

As for the paper money, it is paper money, and I almost always use poker chips instead. BUT, I have to tell you, as far as paper money goes, this is top notch. Great color and 2-SIDED. I am thinking of trying it out instead of the chips. I'll let you know the results.

If I owned the original, I would probably sell it in favor of this reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Steck
United States
Benton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the artwork in this edition is beautiful, the colors of board and counters are quite vibrant and bold. The counters are of excellent quality, probably the thickest I've ever seen. The only downfall of this game is the paper money, which is slick and slightly hard to handle, though it too, is full of bright, vibrant colors and is pleasing to look at, if not use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
Kazinova wrote:
...the components were significantly downgraded in this new reprint.

"Colorful" paper money instead of cardboard chits?

The original had colorful paper money as well, so that isn't a downgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Kosareo
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
Nick,

Totally worth getting. And, since it is relatively inexpensive compared to the original, I highly suggest you get the last copy available at Underhillls Games in an effort to help out everyone's favorite FLGS! :D

Oh no, they still have that copy? I was staring at it for twenty minutes trying desperately to convince myself to just buy it but I was already picking up 7 Wonders and BSG Exodus so I was over budget as it was.

You're killing me smalls...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Kosareo
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone was curious I did pick up the game since I happened to be near my FLGS last night. I'm definitely happy with the chits in this game, they are massive as reported above. At least twice as thick as the Le Havre chits (which are pretty good themselves).

I had already read the rules and I'm itching to bust it out tonight at a board game party friends are having. So excited!

Thanks everyone for the responses and encouragement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to join in on the crowd here to say that yes, all of the cardboard pieces here in this game are top notch. Honestly, I've never seen sturdier counters made of cardboard. The paper money is beautiful, and the board in general looks more pleasing to the eye than the previous version. I think this reprint was a step up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
The original had colorful paper money as well, so that isn't a downgrade.

Although there was also the separately sold Treefrog wooden money in a bag that could be used for Automobile or Steel Driver (I think). "Notes" were the same size as Automobile factories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.