Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
The War of the Austrian Succession is something of a bastard among English speaking historians. Left in the shadows of the War of the Spanish Succession and Seven Years War, it's importance is too often forgotten, as it was the beginning of the rise of Prussia and the decline of Austria, while it set the path of antipathy and war between France and Britain that would not end until 1815. It is was not without its tragedies (Culloden, British invasion of Cuba), comedies (Jenkin's Ear), and moments of heroism and incompetence.

Even finding games, or in the case of Fontenoy and Culloden good games, covering its most famous battles can be difficult. Therefore, I'd like to design some scenarios for the war using the excellent Hold the Line system and upload them as pdfs, but I'm not sure how to do this. If anyone would be interested in transferring the game documents to pdf for me, I would gladly shower them with geekgold.

Of course the pieces are limited, but I think the British pieces can be used for the Austrians and the Americans for the Prussians and Jacobites.

Here are the battles I can make:
Mollwitz 1741
Chotusitz 1742
Dettingen 1743
Villafranca 1744
Hohenfriedberg 1745
Fontenoy 1745
Tatamagouche 1745
Prestonpans 1745
Soor 1745
Kesselsdorf 1745
Falkirk 1746
Culloden 1746
Piacenza 1746
Rocoux 1746
Lauffeld 1747

Of course the Seven Years War could use the same treatment for some of its lesser known battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This would be awesome. Greatly looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I would disagree with this though...

Quote:
it set the path of antipathy and war between France and Britain

I think that path was set much earlier, at least as far back as 1066.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea! There is some reference here: http://independentwargamesgroup.blogspot.com/2010/01/battle-... http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=241685
for maybe the counters but others

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This would be awesome. Greatly looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

It will take time with schoolwork, but I ought to be able have it done before July.

Quote:
I think that path was set much earlier, at least as far back as 1066.

I see what you mean, but let me clarify. The nations of Europe are pretty much a revolving door of warfare and tension. I'm thinking of the period of the fiercest competiton between the two kingdoms, which came with the end of the Thirty Years peace and continued unabated until Waterloo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
The War of the Austrian Succession is something of a bastard among English speaking historians. Left in the shadows of the War of the Spanish Succession and Seven Years War, it's importance is too often forgotten, as it was the beginning of the rise of Prussia and the decline of Austria, while it set the path of antipathy and war between France and Britain that would not end until 1815.

Coincidentally, I just played my first two games of Maria this month. It's a strategic-scale game and not a tactical game, but it did give me a broad idea about what this war was about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be willing to lend you a hand. What sort of documents are you working with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Roper
South Africa
Hout Bay
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
If anyone would be interested in transferring the game documents to pdf for me, I would gladly shower them with geekgold.

Save the Gold Sean and install this http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator

You can then create a PDF from any application as it installs as a printer.
It is a totally legal open source project, not shareware and no nag-ware or watermarks in the final document.
I have used it for several documents, for the Geek and other sites, and never had a problem with it.

Cheers
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Save the Gold Sean and install this http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator

You can then create a PDF from any application as it installs as a printer.
It is a totally legal open source project, not shareware and no nag-ware or watermarks in the final document.
I have used it for several documents, for the Geek and other sites, and never had a problem with it.

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris, I'll take a look at it for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Coincidentally, I just played my first two games of Maria this month. It's a strategic-scale game and not a tactical game, but it did give me a broad idea about what this war was about.

I played Maria a year ago and just got a copy for my birthday. Impressive game, although I wish it covered 1745.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I would be willing to lend you a hand. What sort of documents are you working with?

So far I'm just trying to find maps of the battles online. I did start looking for Osprey books, but pickings are slim, which is silly. They have a book on Fair Oaks but not one on Fontenoy! I am going to lean on their book for Culloden, which will also take care of Falkirk and Prestonpans.

If you know any book books, or of any Osprey books for the battles I listed, let me know and I'll pick them up. I certainly want to do some scenario playtesting, although many of the HtL scenarios are imbalanced, just as they were in history.

btw, great avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did some work today, making early maps and setting parameters. Here is what I have so far:

Unit Designations
The Austrians use British pieces and the Prussians use American pieces.

Unit Rules
Cavalry
Hits on a roll of 3-6 in close combat. It costs 2 CP and the charging cavalry cannot be adjacent to any units.

Highlanders
Use the ranger units. They may force march without a leader being present. At 1 hex they hit on a 6. In close combat they hit on a 3-6.

Prussian Army
At the end of each turn the Prussian player may improve the moral f 1 unit by 1, even if it is adjacent to the enemy.

MOLLWITZ – April 14, 1741 - Schwerin Saves Prussia’s Honor
Prussia Goes First
VICTORY CONDITIONS
Prussian: 6 VP in 20 turns or less.
Austrian: 6 VP or avoid Prussian victory.

CHOTUSITZ – May 17, 1742 - Frederick’s First Victory
Austria Goes First
VICTORY CONDITIONS
Prussian: 6 VP in 24 turns or less.

DETTINGEN – June 27, 1743 - The Luck of George II
France Goes First
VICTORY CONDITIONS
French: 6 VP or avoid Pragmatic victory.
Pragmatic: Exit George II and at least 3 infantry off the map at Dettingen (town hex).

VILLAFRANCA – April 20, 1744 - Sardinia’s Great Stand
France Goes First
French: 4 VP in 16 turns.
Allies: 6 VP or avoid French victory.

FONTENOY – May 11, 1745 - Maurice’s Triumph
Pragmatic Goes First
French: 6 VP or avoid Pragmatic victory.
Pragmatic: 6 VP in 20 turns or less.

HOHENFRIEDBERG – June 4, 1745 - Frederick’s First Great Victory
Prussia Goes First
VICTORY CONDITIONS
Prussian: 7 VP in 24 turns or less.

PRESTONPANS – September 21, 1745 - Bonnet and Cockade
Jacobites Go First
VICTORY CONDITIONS
Jacobite: 6 VP in 18 turns or less.
British: 6 VP or avoid Jacobite victory.

SOOR – September 30, 1745 - Victory Against All Odds
Prussia Goes First
VICTORY CONDITIONS
Prussian: 5 VP in 24 turns or less.

KESSELSDORF – December 15, 1745 - Last Hurrah for “the Old Dessauer”
Prussia Goes First
VICTORY CONDITIONS
Prussian: 6 VP in 24 turns or less.

FALKIRK – January 17, 1746 - Last Chance for the Jacobites
Jacobites Go First
VICTORY CONDITIONS
Jacobite: 6 VP in 20 turns or less.
British: 6 VP or avoid Jacobite victory.

CULLODEN – April 16, 1746 - Tragedy on the Moors
Britain Goes First
Jacobite: 4 VP or avoid British victory.
British: 7 VP in 20 turns or less.

PIACENZA – June 16, 1746 – Austria Ascendant
France Goes First
VICTORY CONDITIONS
French: 4 VP in 16 turns or less.
Austrian: 6 VP or avoid French victory.

GRAND PRE – February 10-11, 1747 - The War in Acadia
France Goes First
VICTORY CONDITIONS
French: 4 VP in 24 turns or less.
British: 4 VP or avoid French victory.

ROCOUX – October 11, 1746 - The Fate of Liège
France Goes First
French: 6 VP in 24 turns or less.
Pragmatic: 6 VP or avoid French victory.
ERRATA
French starting CP: 4.

LAUFFELD – July 2, 1747 - The Last Great Field Battle
France Goes First
French: 6 VP in 24 turns or less.
Pragmatic: 6 VP or avoid French victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:

I see what you mean, but let me clarify. The nations of Europe are pretty much a revolving door of warfare and tension. I'm thinking of the period of the fiercest competiton between the two kingdoms, which came with the end of the Thirty Years peace and continued unabated until Waterloo.

so the Hundred Years War was a prelude?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred_Years'_War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
so the Hundred Years War was a prelude?

No more than Nevsky fighting the Teutonic Knights is a prelude to the eastern front of both world wars. The Hundred Years War was a prolonged dynastic struggle, rather than a competition for an overseas empire and Flanders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just letting everyone know that the scenarios for the War of the Austrian Succession will be coming soon to the file downloads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The file has been uploaded!

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65452/scenarios-for-the-wa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely Brilliant! I'm looking forward to trying some of these out. I love the background information, pictures and bibliography.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Downloaded and tipped... thanks for the work.

Looks great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both. Feel free to post session reports or let me know how the scenarios go over in your gaming circles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this Sean, I get my copy of Hold the Line tomorrow, and I'm excited about the possibilities the system holds, but this just increased that tremendously. Fantastic work!

Jacob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
They look great and thanks. I am hoping you enjoyed the project sooooo much you can't wait to do the same for the 7 year war
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
They look great and thanks. I am hoping you enjoyed the project sooooo much you can't wait to do the same for the 7 year war

I've thought about doing this, but I'm unsure. There is certainly a wealth of battles that can be covered. Here are the ones I would do.

Lobositz 1756
Prague 1757
Kolin 1757
Plassey 1757
Hastenbeck 1757
Rossbach 1757
Leuthen 1757
Krefeld 1758
Zorndorf 1758
Bergen 1759
Minden 1759
Kunersdorf 1759
Kloster Kampen 1760
Torgau 1760
Villinghausen 1761
Valencia de Alcántara 1762
Freiberg 1762

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frédéric Mariusse
France
Saint Romain de Lerps
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumb up for your awesome work !

You have created a new complete expansion for a great game!
I can't wait to play your scenarios laugh

Have you planned to work on other small battles like those fought in War of Bavarian Succession ?

This is very encouraging to people to work on homemade expansions.
What do you think Sean, and other Hold the Line experts around here, about the flexibility of the HtL system ?
I mean flexibility both in battle scale and period.
For example from Louis XIV's wars to Crimean War (or even American Civil War or Franco-Prussian War)?

Frederic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, I hope this little module will be enjoyable.

I'd say it is a good an flexible system. It cannot really do justice to the early wars of Louis XIV, but I'm already adapting it to Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition. So far, so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frédéric Mariusse
France
Saint Romain de Lerps
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
Thank you, I hope this little module will be enjoyable.

I'd say it is a good an flexible system. It cannot really do justice to the early wars of Louis XIV, but I'm already adapting it to Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition. So far, so good.

Thank you for your answer about Louis XIV's era.
And great news concerning BC adapted to HtL (or the opposite ? )

Frederic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if we can not figure out a way to create our own counters for the game.

As Worthington apparently will not provide us with an expansion with just the counters we need to play other conflicts, it seems we will be forced to help ourselfs.

Appreciating the work Sean did on the extra scenarioes, for me personally it would be more fun to play those with chits actually representing the units, rather than use something else as...

I've yet to recieve my copy of the game - it got stuck in a shipment awainting some other game to come back in store - but from what I understand it's a game that with minor modifications can be used to play any conflict of that era.

Seems like someone is seriously missing out on an easy way to cash in on a great system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.