United States
Bay St. Louis
MS
flag msg tools
It's a funny name
badge
SucK it, pancreatic cancer!
mbmbmbmbmb
I got in my first play of the new version of Automobile last Saturday. I like the game.

Durant's role power seems to be exceptionally weak, especially when compared to Ford. In essence, their special abilities are the same, except that Durant's factory will always be built before Ford's factory, as well as any others. However, Ford's factory can be built before any other players' factories except for Durant, and Ford's position as first on the turn track seems to be a terrific advantage for other aspects of the game.

Is there something deeper here that I'm missing? Ford power and position seem to be more powerful than any of the other roles, and Durant seems to be the weakest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that Durant is built out of order, pre-action phase, and it doesn't require an action. It's perhaps not the best option on round 1 (other than to put up a quick factory that you'll likely to close before too long), but it can be used to snipe a luxury spot on rounds 2 and later, and definitely has its uses throughout.

That said, being able to max out a factory space or drop that parts factory with Ford is terribly useful. Going first in the action order is a mixed bag (others should be able to build factories past yours, making it hard to avoid loss cubes with your Ford-action builds). The imbalance is there, certainly, but you have to decide during the Executive Actions phase how important it is for you to get first choice in the Select Character phase next turn...

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Durant gets to place a factory before Ford. Sometimes that makes all the difference.

Also, in the first round, Durant can get factories on two different types of cars. Ford can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also mention the obvious, Ford only lets you build in a spot you already have, whereas Durant only gets you a new spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Wilz
United States
Bay St. Louis
MS
flag msg tools
It's a funny name
badge
SucK it, pancreatic cancer!
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
I'll also mention the obvious, Ford only lets you build in a spot you already have, whereas Durant gets you a new spot.

Ah! We may have been doing that incorrectly. Thanks to everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
pwilz wrote:
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
I'll also mention the obvious, Ford only lets you build in a spot you already have, whereas Durant gets you a new spot.

Ah! We may have been doing that incorrectly. Thanks to everyone.

That sneaky Les.

By the way Pat that idoitic game of Mag Blast lasted another hour after you left. It had to be the longest game of Mag Blast ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls