Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Rubio
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have the Survival Kit as well as Black Ops. I haven't gotten to Black Ops yet, but I will. So far, I love the feel of the game, but I do have a few observations and questions...

1) Is an unarmed Ant ridiculously powerful? Or am I missing something?

2) What good is an Axe to anyone with an unarmed combat bonus of +/-2?

3) In what order do Events occur? I just happened to draw (in this order):
Heroic Stand, Mercenary Assistance, then Aggressive Assault. BEFORE I drew any zombies... call it luck or bad shuffling, but it happened.

4) What are the skulls in the top left corner of a character card for?

5) The box. I don't think I'll be putting any additional expansions in it any time soon. It's a little thin and flimsy.

6) The hit chits. It might be just me, but I use the x's for everything. But maybe I'm lazy.

7) Nowhere in the rules are the Character Cards called out and/or discussed. Seems like a pretty big oversight.

That's it. I love the game and look forward to playing it more regularly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Harvey
United States
Endicott
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi there! I'm glad to hear how much you like my game! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, but things have been pretty hectic for me here. Anyway, I'm always here to help so I'll address your questions as best as I can:

1) Is an unarmed Ant ridiculously powerful? Or am I missing something?
- Yes, Ant is VERY powerful, and that comes mostly from his training as an MBI Soldier. To balance that out, however, if he becomes infected his new powers will surely do more harm for the rest of the team than any of the other characters would. So in exchange for having a strong character in the beginning of the game you run the risk of making the game even harder to win if Ant is killed.

2) What good is an Axe to anyone with an unarmed combat bonus of +/-2?
- For those who have just the core game, the axe really only acts as pseudo-fodder for Honey Dear's character attribute (being able to discard items to heal herself) as well as balancing the deck out (if the deck was only filled with the critically important cards, the game would get boring because you know you'll always draw something you need or an enemy/Countdown. Having some cards that feel "worthless" gives the game some more variety).
While the axe is pretty useless in the base game, it won't always be that way. With coming expansions the game builds upon the axe and it becomes a very powerful tool. In Radioactive Rumble, for example, the axe (or the combat knife) is needed to amputate the feet of irradiated characters. Without it, the radioactivity spreads and continues to slowly kill your character (and that health can't be regenerated). The axe will also come in handy when playing with the Intrigue expansion because characters may become trapped behind doors or panels that need to be blasted open with a powerful weapon (which would be hard to find if you can't move very far), or hacked open with an axe.

3) In what order do Events occur? I just happened to draw (in this order):
Heroic Stand, Mercenary Assistance, then Aggressive Assault. BEFORE I drew any zombies... call it luck or bad shuffling, but it happened.

- Events are played out in the order they are drawn. So for your example, you would play Heroic Stand first (the player who drew the card takes a hit of damage and puts the card aside until a Zombie with 3 hit zones or less is drawn); then Mercenary Assistance is put to the side with 3 chits (every time a Zombie with 3 or less hit zones is drawn, a chit is removed until all three are used) [NOTE that the first time a Zombie is drawn that has 3 or less hit zones it is killed by Heroic Stand and not Mercenary Assistance]. Finally, Aggressive Assault is played and the player who drew it keeps it next to their character card. The next time THAT player draws a Zombie, the card's effects are used.

4) What are the skulls in the top left corner of a character card for?
- That is your RESPAWN COST. If your character's health drops completely, you are considered killed unless you can pay the respawn cost (by discarding your collected Zombies to match the number of skulls - so for example a character with a respawn cost of 3 skulls needs to discard Zombie cards equaling 3 skulls (or more, if an even payment can't be made). You then return to the game with HALF of your total health (rounded up to the nearest whole). Respawning drops your total point score, but it keeps you from becoming Infected. This system is explained on page 16 of the Survival Kit rulebook and on page 13 of the core game rulebook.

5) The box. I don't think I'll be putting any additional expansions in it any time soon. It's a little thin and flimsy.
- Originally, my planned expansions were going to be simple packs of 18 or so cards, but since I have a habit of making things more complex than I intended them to be I ended up making the expansions more in-depth (thus requiring more pieces). Since the Survival Kit had already been produced when I made the Black Ops expansion bigger, the box's ability to store future expansions was destroyed. It's my fault for not realizing my knack for wanting to make things bigger ahead of time.
However, to make up for this I am creating a "Survival Chest" that will consist of a casewrapped 8.5x11x2" rigid setup box that can hold all of the coming expansions and the Survival Kit and/or Core Game [I promise this box will be big enough because I've already mapped it out and made a mock-up that fits perfectly]. The Chest will come bundled with the game and some expansions, or it can be sold separately as just the empty box for people who already have the game and expansions. Customers who have purchased the Survival Kit prior to the Chest's release (like you) will get a discount on the empty Chest.

6) The hit chits. It might be just me, but I use the x's for everything. But maybe I'm lazy.
- Perfectly understandable, because I do the same thing. I included the different types of chits for the people who want to be able to tell the difference between player hits/zombie hits/headshots/etc.
You will find that the chits in the Black Ops expansion are very specific though, because depending on which Soldier marks you, you have to use the matching chit to avoid confusion. The numbered Marked chits and the Executed chits are the only ones that absolutely MUST be used the way they were intended to though.

7) Nowhere in the rules are the Character Cards called out and/or discussed. Seems like a pretty big oversight.
- The character cards ARE discussed in the rulebook, but not in a specific section dedicated just to those cards like the Items or Zombies. That's because every aspect of the Character Cards are explained in the sections they pertain to. For example, the respawn cost on the card is discussed in the "Respawn" section; using your character's items is discussed in the "Equipped/Unequipped" section; the unarmed combat rules are discussed in the "Combat" section; and the player's health track is discussed in both the "Taking Damage" and "Respawn" sections.
In the near future, I plan on overhauling the rules and mechanics using the feedback I've been getting so that another rulebook can be released that is more clear. Obviously, all customers who have purchased the game before the new rulebook is implemented will get theirs for free.

I hope that cleared up your questions! Let me know if you have any more feedback for me, it really does help!

Also, I'm not sure if you've seen this, but I've been putting together a game FAQ over on the TOG forums. I will add your questions and my answers to it so that the players over there can see them too.

http://togentertainment.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=eeicca...

Thanks again, enjoy the game!
Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.