John Lardinois

Dayton
Ohio
msg tools
mbmb
I'm pretty new to board gaming and in just a short while I've found that I'm somewhat particular to games with miniatures. Although I enjoy euros and abstracts there is something about moving detailed thematic figures around a board or map that's especially enjoyable.

Since there seem to be fewer miniature games out there that have good prepainted minis than those that do not I've decided to try my hand at painting hobby. I realize that its a time commitment and a learning experience but I believe it would be something I'd like doing since I already enjoy other artistic endeavors.

1) Is it possible to only spend $50-60 at first on painting supplies and have enough tools and supplies to match or beat the looks of pre-painted minis? Recommendations for paints, colors, and brushes or anything else I'd need? Hints and tips you've gained on painting the typical plastic board game mini?

2) Are there any miniature/figure based board games that you would recommend picking up that have great game play and nice figures to paint? I already have LNOE w/ expansions and cyclades, which I love playing, ready to paint (mansions of madness is the way). Even if you don't paint your miniatures feel free to chime in with your own fav figure based games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's possible to start painting minis without spending an arm and a leg. Go to a craft store and check out the acrylic craft paints. The cheapest brands are about $1 each (and they go a long way). You can get a pack of various brushes for $5-$10 (the biggest expense), and spray primer or sealer for a couple bucks eash (although when painting soft plastic minis you need to choose carefully or your figures will end up "sticky").

That's about all you need to get started.

My favorite board games for painting are Descent, Last night on Earth, and Battlelore (if you like a smaller scale). I actually have several threads on those forums showing pics. Here is an old tutorial I did on doing "the dip" a quick and painless way to paint miniatures...but DO NOT use the Krylon spray sealer I suggest in the first couple posts, read a bit further to learn from my initial mistake.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/448494/last-night-on-earth-z...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an answer to question 1, yes. You could probably buy the basic colors and a couple good brushes for that amount, even buying the premium brands(GW, P3, Reaper Master Series, Vallejo). Get a black, white, brown, grey, a metallic, and the other basics. It takes very little paint for a figure, and you can always pick up other colors as you need them. Also get a primer and some kind of clear coat.

As for which games, my first answer would be Battlelore, but the base game is currently out of print. Descent: Journeys in the Dark includes lots of little heroes and monsters. The games you have include some really nice minis that beg to be painted. You also might think about picking up a few inexpensive minis to learn on (Reaper comes to mind).

Have you ever given any thought to a miniatures game? I've really been enjoying Warmachine.

My two cents. Hope this helps.
jw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I recently purchased Battles of Westeros, not knowing whether I'll ever have the opportunity to play it, specifically because I liked the idea of painting the minis. A game like this, with many units which employ the same palette, should help you contain your initial investment in paints. Similarly, the lower your expectations for attention to detail, the fewer different colors you can get away with, so smaller-scale games with many minis of the same faction will help keep costs down.

For BoW, I think I'll end up having used 7 colors (two browns, red, white, chainmail, and gold, with a little bit of black to darken the armor on the heavy infantry), a small container of Minwax for brush-applied dip, an exacto knife, some Elmer's glue, and some Gale Force 9 flock. Brushes and storage for the completed figures are I think the only other supplies I'll need--may or may not get some spray on flat coat, depending on how I feel about the sheen.

Don't discount the cost of storing your minis after they're painted, though, if you're on a tight budget. Most people who are willing to put in the work to paint in the first place are unwilling to just toss the figures back in box once they're done. Wal-mart or a Big Lots equivalent may be able to sell you something perfectly adequate pretty cheaply, but there are pricier options available as well which may appeal for their organizational virtues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
You mentioned Cyclades. I'm a fairly new painter myself, but I recently tackled those figures. If you click on the image, I briefly describe in one of my comments below the image the process I go through with my painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$50-60 is plenty of money to get started painting, and you'll quickly find it's very easy to paint minis better than the pre-painted ones that come with most games.

I never thought I'd have the budget/patience for painting, but it's become one of my favorite hobbies. I think you'll find it's a really rewarding experience.

My one bit of advice-
it's easy to save paint, it's not as easy to save brushes. take REALLY GOOD CARE of your brushes and you'll save a lot of money.

EDIT:
Also, try google searching some Warhammer forums. Those guys really know their stuff. Dry brushing and washing are really neat tricks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.