Subject: I-phone interface with Yomi rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Kow
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I could be getting a I-phone soon, wonder anyone using the I-phone to play online?

How is the interface, friendly enough to play comfortably?
Love the game and hope this works so any advice or feedback is appreciated.

Cheers
Jerry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't play it on an iOS device, because there's no Unity plugin that works for iOS. Believe me, I tried.

EDIT: Well, after googling a bit it appears that Unity is capable of supporting iOS, but the Yomi and Puzzle Strike implementations on Sirlin's site do not support it. The Unity webpage even shows an iPhone and an Android phone on the front page for "Unity 3" which I assume is a new version of the tool that's capable of supporting these devices. I'm not sure how much work it would be for the Sirlin team to update their site to Unity 3 to allow this...

http://unity3d.com/unity/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
United States
Los Angeles
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Playing Yomi online currently exists exclusively through the use of the Unity web player. The upside of this is that the online play is incredibly smooth and more or less bug-free. The downside is that it only works on Windows and OSX; it is not possible to install the Unity player on iOS (the iPhone operating system), so you cannot play Yomi online through the iPhone.

One way that this could ultimately be worked around are the potential for Apple to eventually allow Unity on the iPhone (not likely).

A more likely fix is simply having an iPhone version of Yomi. I know Sirlin has expressed an interest in the existence of such a product, but as of now (as far as I know), no one has gone to him and proposed that they program it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Kow
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG,

This SUCKS! lol. I started playing yesterday and was so addicted. Its a shame if it cannot be supported on the Iphone. Argg..

Maybe i would not get Iphone afterall.lol.

Jerry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
There are over 1,000 Unity-powered games on iOS right now. The development tools for Unity on iPhone are terrific. That said, the iOS version would need a different licence for us to buy, and more significantly...an entirely different UI. UI is actually most of the development time for this kind of software. It would be a major project and we can barely even get the web version in shape right now.

Even though Unity on iPhone is great, another idea is that these card games in particular might end up with better UI using standard Cocoa interface stuff, like general set of Apple UI elements. In any case, no one is working on this yet, and I would love to iPhone and iPad versions at some point. I'm just spread a bit thin right now, but I think someday you'll see it happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Kow
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David for the reply,

Yomi's a fun game, and i look fwd to the time when i can play it on the move. For now, thats quite a strong deterrent to getting my new I-phone.Lol.

Jerry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Adams
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you are dead set on there being Android versions, use UI kit. The tools are great, and your game will "feel right" on iOS. Apple has put more money into UI design and development than most devs will spend on their whole app. If you can use that for free, do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you must play yomi on tour iPhone use teamviewer when you are away and splashtop at home. Both are EXCELLENT aps for so many reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Kow
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean theres a software to play Yomi still on the I-phone?
Please elaborate..

Jerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamviewer basically lets your iphone remotely view and control your home computer.

Anything your computer can run can be viewed and manipulated with your iphone remotely. I wouldn't recommend trying to play an action game that way but card games work fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.