JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I really really wanted to like James Franco and Anne Hathaway as hosts, but I honestly thought they were the worst hosts in a very long time.

Anne is adorable and her exuberance is cute, but her attempts at humor fell so completely flat.

Then there's James Franco, he was the polar opposite of Anne's excitement, I suppose that could make for a good combo, but I thought they had no, zero, zip chemistry together. He was so laid back, he looked bored.

And open your eyes, James, for gosh sakes!! And when Anne is talking Stand Still and face forward!! Have you never been taught that?

TomA thought he looked like Billy Crystal:

Anyway, when he came out in drag, that was worse than Rob Lowe dancing with Snow White to Proud Mary.

So, what did you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple notables.

1.Kirk Douglas. Several minutes of extended awkwardness.

2. Justin Timberlake. Bansky? You even out obscured the king of obscurity. Good job telling a joke to 80 million people that only 12 dorks like myself even got.

3.Natalie Portman. Congratulations...soon Luke Skywalker will be amongst us.

4.Christian Bale. Seriously, quit with the English accent, it's freaking me out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
Anyway, when he came out in drag, that was worse than Rob Lowe dancing with Snow White to Proud Mary.

Oh no! I had blocked that from mymemory. Ack!

I missed the show last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Confirming, once again, why I never watch award shows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Several minutes of extended awkwardness.

I love fast forward technology! It's the only way I can watch the Oscars now. I skipped past Kirk Douglas and all of the acceptance speeches.

Jatoha wrote:
Okay, I really really wanted to like James Franco and Anne Hathaway as hosts, but I honestly thought they were the worst hosts in a very long time.

Ugh, they were horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Several minutes of extended awkwardness.

I love fast forward technology! It's the only way I can watch the Oscars now. I skipped past Kirk Douglas and all of the acceptance speeches.

I actually liked Kirk, yes he was a bit awkward at moments and he did run on about one minute too long, but he was also hilarious and completely willing to poke fun at himself.

he was much much much better than the opening sequence.

Oh, and speaking of sequences... that auto-tune thing in the middle was absolutely worthless... geesh, every sketch bombed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
Oh, and speaking of sequences... that auto-tune thing in the middle was absolutely worthless... geesh, every sketch bombed.

Agreed. Auto-tune was cute a couple of years ago. Now it's been done to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
Jatoha wrote:

Agreed. Auto-tune was cute a couple of years ago. Now it's been done to death.

I didn't watch the show, but I would disagree on this one. As long as "musicians" constantly feel the need to auto-tune the crap out of their worthless voices, it obviously isn't being done to death or they would've gotten the point by now.

EDIT---to add quotations around musicians as without the quotes I was giving auto-tune-using hacks too much credit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
He was so laid back, he looked bored baked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
1. I think James Franco was stoned for the entire thing. There was a point near the end of it where he looked like he was getting clearer, but after the next commercial break, he looked out of it again.

2. The auto-tune gag was pretty stupid, but it worked really, really well with The Social Network.

3. The Best Male Supporting Actor and Best Male Actor categories were pretty much locked up months ago. I'm not really sure why the other nominees bothered to show up.

4. Trent Reznor won an Oscar! I'm glad, because the soundtrack is perfect for the type of movie it was. It was very subdued, and that main theme is easily identifiable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:

4. Trent Reznor won an Oscar! I'm glad, because the soundtrack is perfect for the type of movie it was. It was very subdued, and that main theme is easily identifiable.

Yeah, I was happy to be wrong about who would win that one. Now that Reznor's won, I think it's time for Nick Cave & Warren Ellis to take one home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring back John Stewart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Firestone IV wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

Yeah, I was happy to be wrong about who would win that one. Now that Reznor's won, I think it's time for Nick Cave & Warren Ellis to take one home.

Trent Reznor's transformation into a New Age easy listening musician is now complete. Sad really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
Bring back John Stewart.

Yes, I agree, I loved his hosting stint!

As I remember, there were some bad reviews of him at the time.

TomA and I were saying maybe they did this on purpose. Get a really terrible host then people won't pick apart the performances of decent hosts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Melissa Leo was &%*$!?#*$ hilarious - unfortunately, my kids were watching at the time. But as my wife remined me, it wasn't anything they don't already hear on the schoolbus every week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Melissa Leo was &%*$!?#*$ hilarious - unfortunately, my kids were watching at the time. But as my wife remined me, it wasn't anything they don't already hear on the schoolbus every week.

yes, that was funny! She was sweet, she was so excited and seemed truly shocked to have won.

Her f-bomb was edited out for us, wasn't it for you?

My kids didn't even notice because our dvr occasionally will blip and lose sound for a word or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
Her f-bomb was edited out for us, wasn't it for you?

Yes, the sound was edited, but since her mouth was not, and there was a noticeable silence in the audio, it wasn't terribly effective.

But, like I said, it won't damage my kids for life or anything. As a matter of fact, when I told my wife that the only thing that made King's Speech an R was the langauge, she was eager to go see it with the kids.

Heck, even The Karate Kid and Back to the Future had some bad language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, I understood the joke when Sandra Bullock talked about Moms being late to pick up their kids from school - because I watch General Hospital from time-to-time. blush Of course, one of the in-jokes on the show is that his character is also named Franco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
chansen2794 wrote:
Scott Firestone IV wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

Trent Reznor's transformation into a New Age easy listening musician is now complete. Sad really.
Thank you for beating me to that.
I kept remembering the angry young man from the Head Like A Hole video, and comparing that to this new, pip-squeaky, awkward-looking shill in a suit that was up there last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nunemaker
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirk Douglas had more energy than most of the people standing behind that microphone.

I had fun following twitter feeds during the broadcast.

To quote somebody from twitter yesterday during the show: "they were the 83rd best hosts of all time".

Some other funny tweets that I was reading while watching:
@ebertchicago wrote:
"Urgent to producers: You're not running long. You're running slow."
"I hope James Franco does better on the oral exam for his PhD."
"Host for next year: Kevin Spacey."

@thesulk wrote:
"Anne Hathaway looks mascary."
"I always forget that Christian Bale talks like a 19th century chimney sweep."
"I'd like to thank Cate Blanchett for wearing my grandmother's chair."
"Great, now kids all over America are gonna want to be a stuttering king when they grow up."

@normmacdonald wrote:
"bring back kirk douglas. this is getting dull."
"that was very insulting saying oprah was coming up and then showing a giant elephant. shame on you academy"
"the winner of this gets an award plus gets to breathe some of oprahs air"
"when hairplugs met sally"
"by the time the dead guy montage starts kirk douglas will be in it"
"hey watching this show raises an intersting question. Is there a writers strike or something?"

Worth repeating:
"I'd like to thank Cate Blanchett for wearing my grandmother's chair."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
fightcitymayor wrote:
I kept remembering the angry young man from the Head Like A Hole video, and comparing that to this new, pip-squeaky, awkward-looking shill in a suit that was up there last night.

Trent Reznor's music has really toned down over the years, and may not be to everyone's tastes, but he still does pretty much whatever he wants when it comes to his music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norm MacDonald is awesome.

I said the same thing when Kevin Spacey came on! I love Kevin Spacey! We need to start a petition or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snunemaker wrote:

@normmacdonald wrote:
"bring back kirk douglas. this is getting dull."
"that was very insulting saying oprah was coming up and then showing a giant elephant. shame on you academy"
"the winner of this gets an award plus gets to breathe some of oprahs air"
"when hairplugs met sally"
"by the time the dead guy montage starts kirk douglas will be in it"
"hey watching this show raises an intersting question. Is there a writers strike or something?"

I was never a fan of Norm MacDonald. I'm even less of a fan now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
Bring back John Stewart.

If only we could. Alas, he has been dead for three years. He was always a favorite of mine and his California Bloodlines album is still one of the greatest folk-rock albums ever made. I suppose his family is still living off the residuals from Daydream Believer.

Or did you mean Jon Stewart?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
MAISON ABREU: Lair of Abreu, you know, that guy below. Do not mistake this for other Maisons or Houses or even Abreus.
badge
I do look good on this chair, dont I?
mbmbmbmbmb
I cant find a dish of Oscar but here have a cookie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.