Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been slowly trying to get members of my family - who do not really like board games - to try some of my board games. Keeping in mind here that when they think of board games they either think Sorry or Life, or something really complex and complicated that takes 5 hours to play.

I finally got a chance to introduce them to their first real strategy game, Scotland Yard. They seemed to enjoy it.

I wrote some thoughts about that, and on getting new players to try games in general, here: http://www.islaythedragon.com/2011/02/longest-yard.html

Do you guys ever try to get your non-gamer family members or friends to try new games? Got any recommendations for good family-friendly yet still strategic and fun, games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
All the time. And after two years with 100% success in all but one case(she still plays Dixit and TTR ).

Light and quick (30-45 mins):
Dixit 4-6 players
The Downfall of Pompeii 2-4 players
Carcassonne 2-5 players

Quick but somewhat clever (45mins):
Pandemic 1-4 players
Revolution! 3-4 players

Family friendly but longer (60-90mins):
Catan 2-4 players
Ticket to Ride 2-5 players
or TTR:Europe or TTR:Nordic etc.

Longer but 'tricky' (60-90mins):
RoboRally 2-8 players
Small World 2-5 players

For converting people I would get one of these: Catan, Ticket to Ride or Pandemic - make sure you are the rules Tsar before you play.

Interestingly while its good, I would not use Scotland Yard to convert people as I think it's possible too much for non-gamers.

Happy Gaming!

PS: I note you have already got Settlers and Smallworld - How have these gone down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This past holiday season, I had good success teaching my family to play Pandemic and Long Shot.

Pandemic works because it's a co-op. That's a different concept in gaming for most non-gamers, and you can help your family members understand and play the game. Just be careful you don't run the whole game yourself. Let them make sub-optimal decisions!

Long Shot worked for me partly because of the theme. My grandfather use to own a few racehorses. It also works because the rules are simple, turns go quickly - so little down time, and luck factor makes for a more "party" style game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't had a chance to test Smallworld with my family, but my parents get really frustrated playing Catan. They can't take it when the dice rolls don't give them anything for a few turns, so I'm trying to skew towards non-dice games. Carcassonne is definitely on the list to try out, as is Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've convinced/drafted my inlaws, parents, and brother/SIL into a number of games.

Hits:
Long Shot
Wits and Wagers
Forbidden Island
Fearsome Floors
Dominion [my mom]
Word on the Street
Yahtzee Free for All
Thurn and Taxis
Thebes

Piqued interest, but need another shot:
Summoner Wars
Zombies
Space Hulk
Castle Ravenloft [started late, and had trouble getting immersed - they were just reading the "take two damage" instead of the flavor text]

Not real successful:
Red November
Arkham Horror [We won, but i don't think they were in the mood to be immersed, which truly is a big part of the game]

Probably the 'easiest' of those to introduce to nongamers are Wits and Wagers, Word on the Street, Yahtzee FFA, Small World ["it's like Risk but faster"], Long Shot [especially great with a bunch of people], and Forbidden Island. Thebes and Thurn are good too, Thebes has a good theme and the time track is a new thing to many nongamers; I actually prefer Thurn to Ticket to Ride, but Thurn is a little more fiddly with all the point cards and the concept of "all of one color, or one of each color" [which isn't that difficult but doesn't click with some people].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to get my mom who always seem interested in board games, but rather kinda scared to play any, with dixit. She absolutely love it. Other than that, she played hive, but it was an okay for her.

On the other hand, I've successfully made my bro-in-law and sister played few board games as well. They've played (in order) carcassonne, dixit, TtR: Europe, tikal, settlers of catan, stone age, fresco.
So far, their top favourites are dixit, TTR: Europe and tikal.

I'm surprised that they can handle Tikal (although I know it is simple, the mechanic is new to them). Their feedback after the 1st game,was it's a little difficult. Now after the 4th game, they really like it.

Other games that I'm planning to get them play soon, Survive!(this should be family friendly as well) and Homesteaders(to introduce them to auction/bidding mechanic, although there's an auction variant in Tikal, we haven't try that ye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My family likes Pirates Cove, Stone Age, Dixit, and my younger brother and sister both love Dominion.

1d10 = (10) = 10 (for something different)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 11857. kvenosdel
  • 1d10 =
  • (10) =
  • Tue Mar 1, 2011 10:28 am
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
Other games that I'm planning to get them play soon, Survive!(this should be family friendly as well) and Homesteaders(to introduce them to auction/bidding mechanic, although there's an auction variant in Tikal, we haven't try that ye

Homesteaders is a wonderful game and one of my favorites but if you really want to teach them a family friendly auction game i would recommend Ra instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the suggestion Kenny, appreciate it. I played Ra only one time but it wasn't a pleasant experience for me
The reason why I'm considering Homesteaders is because I'm in a position to get a 2nd hand homesteaders from a local guy. Anyway, I will consider this in near future, thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.