Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We have seen more than 1 game now where one player only builds 1-2 strength in military, and their neighbors build none, and hand that person 18 points (technically 31 points if you add their own -1 counters). Some of us on "the othetr side of the world" see this happening and of course can't do anything about it. Meanwhile I'm having to build a 7-8 strength military to get the same number of points.

Same thing is possible if someone starts building science, and their neighbors keep passing them more free build science cards.

In other words, its a problem caused by people ignoring their neighbors.

Is there a way to stop (or discourage) this from happening? Some games it just seems that the best "strategy" is to sit between the two new players, or the two players least likely to look outside their own city.

Have other people experienced this frustrating situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is a problem or kingmaking.

Maybe that person feels the -3 VP per side is worth ignoring building any military because they do not want to get into the arms race while passing up on other routes to points? Plus, if both neighbors are working on Military, then they are more likely to see other cards which will help them in their own strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the situation you speak of, the following is occurring:

#2: No Military Power
#3: 1-2 military value (1 card in 1st or 2nd age)
#4: No Military Power

What are #1 and #5 in this scenario doing?

A small investment (again, 1 card for 1-2 value) will give them 9 points if #2/#4 persist in remaining 100% peaceful. That's a good payoff, so that works well.

So what are THEIR neighbors doing? (#6/#7 in a larger game)
Well, if they are going military, they will be in a race, and being neighbors, one of them will be getting first crack at the cards for two of three ages. If they are taking all of the big militar cards, that means they aren't passing to the pacifists (#2/#4) so that they might have the option of attempting to fight back against the original 'problem', #3.

Seems like everything is working perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
My honest answer to your first question, Eric? Try not to take this fun, but fairly light game too seriously. Either that, or play it with fewer players (where I think it's a better game anyway than with 6 or 7).

Another effect that you didn't mention that might be even more pronounced is if you have a neighbor who plays very few resource cards. Most likely, this will force you to play a bunch of them, instead of cards that will actually give you VPs. Sure, he'll probably have to send a lot of coins your way, but it never seems to balance out, particularly if he also plays a Yellow discount card. And it increases the chances that you won't be able to build some really valuable cards later on.

No one ever said the wonder-building business was fair. That's just the cost of having a game with limited player interaction. I think it's a much better situation than if there was no interaction at all.

Oh, and I agree with Bobby--it may be an issue, but it's not kingmaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:

No one ever said the wonder-building business was fair.

Damn Amenhotep and his "Beige Jobs" Program! Those pyramids were supposed to fund our retirement, but his cronies got all the benefits!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.