Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Moriarty
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I are contemplating house ruling Baltar's OPG to not be affected by the final five effects. It just seems like he got screwed by this expansion as his power is now the only one that may come with a chance of death or worse.

Just something we've been thinking about and I wanted to know what the population at large thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah but think of the fun Cylon Baltar can have if say you found "Activate all Cylon Ships" earlier in the game... you just use your OPG to look at that person's cards again and it's just like a super crisis!

No need to mess with the ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Cox
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's great that the final five changed Baltar's game a bit. It makes him (ahem, those playing him) even more squirmish and aloof - adding to character depth.

Love.

This.

Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it only affects him if you're playing with Conflicted Loyalties

That said, it does give him more info if some1 has PGs (even tho he can't go into detail to others due to secrecy rules). If Baltar's human, it's less incentive for him to use his OPG which IMO, does add more depth to the game. Otherwise, getting executed is typically bad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Baltar in my first Conflicted Loyalties game, and had no conflicted loyalties in my first loyalty cards. I used a President card to check Starbuck's loyalty at her request: she had the "President in the Brig" goal. Duly noted. Post-sleeper, I became a Cylon, and used Baltar's OPG to check Cally, who warned me not to. I though "Great! Maybe I can activate ships or damage Galactica!" I got brigged (allowing Starbuck to finish her goal!).

I think Conflicted Loyalties adds a lot to Baltar's character. Just listen to people when they say "Don't look at my loyalty." Of course, they could be a Cylon. Are they lying to you? In addition, somebody could encourage you to look at their loyalty, so you can see their personal goal and try to help them with their problems. I think the ability is far from useless - you just have to be more discerning than before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hirsch
United States
Holliston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Baltar in a Conflicted Loyalties game just to see how his OPG would interact with the new cards. I started as cylon, took the opportunity to be a jerk when I had a good shot, and got executed by Cally before the sleeper phase. Never used his OPG. So much for that experiment...

Overall, though, I don't think that Baltar needs any adjustment. His ability is still really strong, and the risk of examining a Final Five card is counterbalanced by the ability to see Personal Goals. There are very few ways to completely determine a player's loyalty, and Baltar's ability is the easiest way to do it. No need to make it even stronger.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baltar's OPG was powerful, so having some negatives associated with it is now a good thing. He needed to be nerfed just a level or two. Besides, if you're using classic 16 YANAC cards, all 8 of PGs and all 5 FF cards, then odds are still in his favor.

Next thing you know, people will be saying Apollo's OPG is too powerful since he now has mark VII vipers to command with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never thought his OPG was too powerful except in 3p (which I don't play anyway), but neither do I think it's too weak now. It's interesting in that it (usually) gives you personally more of an advantage than the rest of your team, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Kat's OPG sends her to Sickbay, so it's not unheard of for a OPG to have a drawback. Cain's kills two civilian ships (whether you think it's too good or not, it does have a drawback). Zarek's loses a population which maybe you'd rather not lose. But they're all OPTIONAL. You have to choose to use it, knowing what consequences it may entail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
I never thought his OPG was too powerful except in 3p (which I don't play anyway), but neither do I think it's too weak now. It's interesting in that it (usually) gives you personally more of an advantage than the rest of your team, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

In a 3p game with Baltar, the other 2 players typically won't really trust Baltar anyways, so it's like it was moot. Baltar has knowledge, but other players will still be playing very cautiously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A 3p Exodus & Pegasus game where Baltar finds the Yellow 6 ... heh, the ultimate turn would be Critical Situation -> OPG -> Airlock (auto pass) . Well maybe not ultimate, but it would be powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.