Subject: What to do if not able to draw cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hansi
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine this situation:

A player has 13 hand cards, plays Oprah, draws Online Fundraising (draw 3) and another card, for example gain 1 support + draw a card.

Now all cards are on his hand except Oprah that's the single card on the discard pile and he has to play one of the drawn cards.

I guess if he plays Fundraising he plays it without any effect but if he plays the other card: Does he play it without any effect or does he gain 1 support but no card?

I think in another thread it was posted that if a player has drawn 2 Going neg. cards but only 1 card to discard he plays it without any effect. So I would think in the situation I describe the 2nd card would also played without ANY effect?

(I think in each case it's not allowed to draw Oprah again since the rules say that cards that have been played before during the turn cannot be shuffled into a new drawing pile - or does the card instruction in that case override the rule??)

This might be a rare situation - maybe. But on yucata more than 900 games have been played already and people posted this or something similar happening. Since I am the one who has to fix the issues I would appreciate any advice.

Regards
Brer Bear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how is it possible to get 13 cards in your hand? I thought the most you could ever get was 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hansi
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:
how is it possible to get 13 cards in your hand? I thought the most you could ever get was 8.

Well, I thought so, too. But if you have 8 by playing draw 3 and draw 2, play one you could then play Audacity, get those cards back and so on.

I did not try myself but I've seen enough games with hands of 12 or more and people tell me it's possible and legal.

You might also have a look at the other thread about stalemate. That's also about hands of nearly most of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Leonhard
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this situation is covered by 2 assumptions that may not have been adequately articulated before:

1) If you are instructed to draw a card and cannot, you don't get to draw a card. The rest of the card takes effect normally.

2) The cards which require you to discard 2 cards give you no benefit if you can't discard the 2 cards -- those discards are the "cost" for playing that card, in effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hansi
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cleonhard wrote:
I think this situation is covered by 2 assumptions that may not have been adequately articulated before:

1) If you are instructed to draw a card and cannot, you don't get to draw a card. The rest of the card takes effect normally.

2) The cards which require you to discard 2 cards give you no benefit if you can't discard the 2 cards -- those discards are the "cost" for playing that card, in effect.

Thanks for your reply. This should work now as described.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Knaack
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened exactly to me and I was forced to forfeit :[

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good to know. If I'm in a Yucata game and I have all cards in my hand, I won't play a card that says draw a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hansi
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hev13 wrote:
This happened exactly to me and I was forced to forfeit :[

When exactly did that happen? I guess you mean before the update was done. I did not hear of any problems concerning this afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Hansi,

I play CM08 fairly regularly on Yucata and most of my games reach this point. The update works perfectly. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.