Popular Tags: [View All]
Thel Schuhart
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So anyway, our little group decided to play RtL. You guessed it, most of us are rather inexperienced. However, what the heck, lets venture forth!

After 6 weeks, it seems to me that the noble heroes are just about sunk. I will be brief here and often generalize since I hate to drill into specifics.

After a randon hero draw and much debate our assembled party was

Battlemage Jaes with Earth Pact (Chain mail, Blast Rune)
Lord Hawthorne with Parry (Chain mail, sword, shield)
Eliam with well, I can't think of it right now.(Stun rune, arcane cloak, ring of protect))
Vyros the Falconer with a bow skill that gives him +3 range.(Crossbow, shield, leather)

We spent everything else on healing potions.

We started out and bought equipment, tried to make what we thought were good choices.

We started out with a painful encounter. It was two named ogres, one at each exit area. We were not clever enough to try and flee the very first turn. The OL then moved both Ogres up and blocked the exit passages. Yes, ignoring the fact that one of the areas was water. We only had one melee weapon and if we got close in for point blank attacks, we got clocked. The OL wiped the party out.(Really we just saty there in the corner for about 40 minutes, in a draw with the OL. )

Back at Tamalir, we ventured out again, went a different direction, and explored one level of a dungeon, then fled when the second level looked tough.

Week 3 we bought the Daggertooth hammer for Lord Hawthorne and a cursed shield. The shield is pretty good, despite the cuse token.

Week 4 We went to Thelsvan highway and did a whole dungeon. Never once rolling a treasure, but getting good gold and potions.

Week 5 we trained Battlemage Jaes and got him a skill (+2 range and +1 Damage) bought platemail and more healing potions, a rumor and the wildstaff.

Week 6 saw us heading towards the rumor dungeon as its rewards is an extra market item, and we are startingto really need those market items.

We had an encounter traveling week 6, which we fled. Then ended up checking out the Dungeon location. Whose names escaped me.

At the end of our session we are still in week 6.

CP is Heroes 31, OL 46. The OL has three LTs. Dawnsmoor has 4 raze tokens on it. He also has eldritch silver level plus one other upgrade. Its only week 6 and I can't see how the party is gonna challenge the OL in this game.

On top of that, we are a little bit new and sort of learning the game the hard way. So far, we as players are haiving fun, despite everything.
For instance, we realized after our last play that Fatigue potions are where it is at. We can do so much more when our characters have fatigue to work with, even more killing power. We are uncertain what works best, so, no matter what we do, we sort of enjoy it. Slowly we are learning how to work together and as a team, really for survival if nothing else. We feel like we have been unlucky with treasures, but that has forced us to really attempt to work closely, more so than regular descent. Knowing what we need to do to win is the biggest challenge. Despite our strong efforts, the OL really works us over, though the fact that we reduced his earned CP from session 1 to session two by less than half in my mind is a small victory.

Right now, our characters are at

Battlemage Jaes (Chain mail, Axe, basic blast rune and one additional skill)
Lord Hawthorne (Plate mail, daggertooth hammer, sword, sheild)
Vyros(Chain mail, crossbow, cursed shield)
Eliam (basic stun rune, wizard cloak, shield, sword, ring of prot. )

Eliam has sort of become our party running guy with 5 speed. Lord Hawthorne is the only one that puts out real damage. BMJ, sort of is a second, often battling to take advantage of Earth Pact, and Vyros is ranged. The bottom line is, it is week 6 and we are facing 3 LTs and Silver Eldritch already. It seems like its going to be just a grim road to slaughter. Any suggestions that could help us challenge things and maybe give the OL a run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time. Your group isn't doing that bad, and with time, you'll get better treasures and skills and the game will sway your way. Our games, early copper is rather tough on the heroes. Late copper, decked out with treasures and skills at trait dice, they are walking all over the OL.

Stick with it, it gets even easier in Silver/Gold...

-shnar

P.S. don't worry too much about losing a town or two, it's bound to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
simpatikool wrote:

Week 5 we trained Battlemage Jaes and got him a skill (+2 range and +1 Damage) bought platemail and more healing potions, a rumor and the wildstaff.

Any suggestions that could help us challenge things and maybe give the OL a run?

try and train 3 heroes in a week, it is more time effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Bivins

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to realize that RtL is a marathon....you don't quit in the first mile or two if you get behind and things look bad.

Things shouldn't look good at this point in the campaign. Feel like things are horrible and almost hopeless? Good! That's what you are supposed to feel like in early copper. Grow the heroes, get better loot, and then destroy that Overlord!

Also, keep in mind that RtL is VERY streaky. One day I'll feel like I have things under control as the OL, and the next play session the heroes have trained a few times and got some nice new stuff and are kicking me all over the map.

Finally: RtL is an advanced campaign. It's no surprise you don't have everything figured out yet...but that's part of the beauty of the game too...it has such depth and complexity that it'll challenge you for a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thel Schuhart
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slackerb wrote:
Finally: RtL is an advanced campaign. It's no surprise you don't have everything figured out yet...but that's part of the beauty of the game too...it has such depth and complexity that it'll challenge you for a long time.

Yeah. I guess in my musings I kind of figured that out. Part of the challenge and fun in RtL is learning to look at your resources differently and taking those resources and figuring out how to win. Despite my somewhat forlorn sounding post, really, as a whole, I am loving this version of Descent. It is all new to me, and it is incredibly enjoyable. Though, how someone can equate a level of frustration and stress into enjoyment is most likely slightly deranged!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I *wish* we were doing as well as your group.
After 2 sessions, we've fled 2 dungeons and had our butts handed to us by a leutenant. The Overlord is around 80 conquest to our 30. He's razing towns with impunity and we apparently can't win the battles even when we get there in time. I'm really clueless about what to do. If we don't stop the razing, he wins. If we try to stop them, he wins faster.

People on these forums talk about how their heroes do 20 damage per attack using shop items. We're playing vanella + RtL, and that's simply not our experience at all. We average 5-7 damage per attack on the best of days - with a load of copper weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Potions are your friend.

The best way to get a lot of damage on an attack is to drink a Power Potion, burn all your fatigue, and make sure it's an AIMed attack! I know a lot of people poo-poo on aiming, but if you've drank a potion that is giving you Gold Power dice (especially in copper), there's nothing more depressing than rolling that dang X.

A Power Potion by itself will give you +1 Gold and +1 Silver die to roll. Add fatigue, and you could potentially roll almost Gold dice. That's a lot of punch for a store weapon.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thank you. I kind of thought people saying they did 20+ per attack were insane, but power potions explains it. Unfortunately, as I said, we're playing vanilla + RtL. ie, power potions do not exist. I understand the math of swigging 3 power potions and pwning anything on the board. What do you do against a leutenant (or 3 of them) 2 dungeons into a game without power potions?

Further, we're using "simplified treachery" since we don't own the expansions.

My understanding (from this forum) is that the overlord (who bought trap treachery) can now choose and draw his 2 favorite trap cards at the start of the leutenant encounter. So, we can expect a dark charm and a pit trap every encounter. If played well, that should nuke the mage right out of the battle every time.

So with 3 heroes averaging 6-7 damage per attack, his armor absorbing 5ish (I forget), him regenerating some ridiculous amount every turn, and reinforcing with sorcerers, we're toast. Oh, and the leutenant rolled enough dice to kill one hero a round (1 shotting the mage and rogue, 2-shotting(battling) the tanks).

If we can't kill his leutenants, I'm not sure how we're supposed to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
It's only 1 power potion anyway.

Dealing 20+ damage per hit (- armor) with gold weapons wouldn't be surprising, In silver, you should be around 15. Also, remember that there are abilities to give you more than 2 shots per round.
So, no encounter with a lieutenant would be a lost cause, although Thadd would be difficult to deal with and early silver would make it more difficult.

Example : Landrec with Inner Fire, armed with Drain Life and Aldar's Mirror, rolling abour W G Y S S Bl [all this perfectly normal at mid-silver] would deal 14 damage and pierce 6 points of armor (or 13 and 8) at rather long range with mundane rolls. At Gold, adding Quick Fire, one more Silver die and using Curse of Rot, he would make about 18 damage and pierce 12 points of armor, thrice a round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Keller
Denmark
flag msg tools
simpatikool wrote:

Battlemage Jaes (Chain mail, Axe, basic blast rune and one additional skill)
Lord Hawthorne (Plate mail, daggertooth hammer, sword, sheild)
Vyros(Chain mail, crossbow, cursed shield)
Eliam (basic stun rune, wizard cloak, shield, sword, ring of prot. )

Eliam has sort of become our party running guy with 5 speed. Lord Hawthorne is the only one that puts out real damage. BMJ, sort of is a second, often battling to take advantage of Earth Pact, and Vyros is ranged. The bottom line is, it is week 6 and we are facing 3 LTs and Silver Eldritch already. It seems like its going to be just a grim road to slaughter. Any suggestions that could help us challenge things and maybe give the OL a run?

Since you have the staff of the wild, you can get from Tamalir to Riverwatch in a single turn. Take advantage of the 5 point market that never goes out of stock, and the most friendly 4 point alchemist there.
Also take a closer look at Vynelvale, where some of the most powerful skills are available. I'm thinking of Weapon mastery(+2 surges when you melee, Blessing and Leadership (especially since vanilla leadership doesn't require you to spend fatigue to use it).

I would also suggest you go have a look at "the art of the blitz". Since you most of all need to get your hands on a lot of gold in a hurry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.