Subject: Session report on my variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
NOTE: Pardon the terrible use of the English language.

Just last night I've played a three player game of RE using my variants. The game mode was story mode, and the results were quite positive. The players never played the game before, so after telling them the changes I've made, they were surprised they weren't in the official rules!

The purpose of the variants to speed the game up and increase the pacing of the game. I also wanted ways to passively increase the use of exploring action without forcing people to do so.

The game lasted an hour and a half, although it could have been faster if our third player was keeping up with myself and the second player.

Anyways, the list of variants and my thoughts about them:

Resting - Stolen from Thunderstone, players can now completely skip their turn by trashing one card from their hand.

Since RE relies so much on having a slim deck, more so then other DBG games, this rule is needed. Vanilla RE makes it extremely difficult to cut down your deck and some of the best trash cards (such as Shattered Memories) requires you to draw a specific time to use them well. While the action cards that trash cards are still valuable to players, allowing a costly alternative to cut down your deck in RE made it much easier to manage one deck and it fixes the situation of bad draws.

Holding cards - At the end of your turn, any unplayed cards in your hand may be held for the next turn. However, you may not have more then five cards due to actions that allowed multiple draws.

Because RE requires on having a nearly perfect draw of cards to defeat the bigger monsters, this rule makes it much easier to achieve the ideal hand quicker. If your draws are terrible in RE, you might not explore in a while and have to constantly recycle your deck. Worst part is, you are not alone, since your three rivals are going through the same ordeal. Also, this variant greatly increases your damage output from your hand, so Nemesis and even the big bad doesn't seem like an impossible task like it was in Vanilla RE.

Assists - Whenever a player fails to defeat an infected, he can call for help instead of taking damage. The steps of doing this are followed:

1) Infected cannot be defeated. Active player decides whether or not he wants help. If not, he gets damaged, follows any infected text if needed, and the infected card is put at the bottom of the Mansion deck.

2) Players who can help show their weapons/ammo. Weapon ability cards are not used by helping players (e.g. grenades don't trash nor do their damage other players.) Character ability cards are used, however.

3) The active player decides to pick one player out of those who proposed. The selected helping player discards their played ammo/weapons cards and redraws.

4) The helping player receives the infected card as a reward. If they are multiple monsters, the helping player gets the higher decoration. If they are three monsters (due to shotgun and Chris), the helping player gets 2 of the higher infected cards

5) The helping player does not use any infected abilities for defeating the infected (e.g. tell another player to skip a turn).

This was the deal breaker for me. One of the big problems with RE is the fact that people are paranoid and refuse to explore. The lack of exploring means the game slows to a bloody, freaking, crawl. By passively encouraging exploring and allowing assists, the game moves along, even if the active player failed at defeating the monster!

Is the variant too strong? Maybe. I won the game mainly because of assists. Both players kept losing their fights and being JACK holding every knife in the game (including the ones the other players trashed!), I was able to help out at the moment's notice.

Conclusion

I honestly wished these were the official rules. In fact, I am starting to view RE as a game with a great mechanics behind it with really bad execution. At first I despised the story mode and regret my purchase, but these mechanics speed up the game and definitely offer more player interaction then other DBGs. I actually refuse to play mercenary mode because I was having fun with the much faster pacing.

One variant I had in mind was to make the big bad appear as the 11th card in the mansion deck, and the Nemesis appear as the 21st card. This way, less luck is involved with the Mansion deck and by the time players reach the 11th card, the players would already have strong decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the sound of these variants. It's likely that I'll add them to my own game once I start getting this game to the table. Now I'm wondering if I should play a game or 2 in the original form and risk people possible disliking the game, or just add them right from the get go. I'm leaning towards the latter since that's what you've done and it went over rather well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GamerAtom wrote:
I really like the sound of these variants. It's likely that I'll add them to my own game once I start getting this game to the table. Now I'm wondering if I should play a game or 2 in the original form and risk people possible disliking the game, or just add them right from the get go. I'm leaning towards the latter since that's what you've done and it went over rather well.

I tried playing with the original rule twice already and it took far too long (my first game was 3 hours). If you've read other reviews, they talk about the same experiences about the game being too reliant on draws and taking way too long. The original rules are really bad, to say the least.

I would also highly recommend avoiding playing with custom decks since they are outright broken on some characters. Mercenary is fun but definitely doesn't feel very "official"

As a test, tell them that these are the original rules first. After the game is done, ask them if they enjoyed the game. After their response, tell them that these rules you put were in actual house rules, and the original rules don't allow this.

This is what I did as a "blind test" for the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these are good house rules but I haven't had a problem with the length. My games usually take 90 minutes. That is not too long for me. This is with 4 players, too. Even one with 2 new players.

The one house rule I like to use, though and I ask the others before implementing it, is to shuffle the Boss into the last 11 cards of the mansion deck.

I like your Resting idea but not sure about the others. I may give these a try this weekend to see how I like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know how it goes Michael.

I think the assist rule is great because of the extra player interaction and decisions it adds. Do I take the damage or do I let player X help me out and let him have the decorations possibly taking or securing his lead?

Mark, you said you thought the Assist rule might be to strong because you won mainly due to assists. My argument there is that the it's the other player's fault for going in unprepared and/or allowing you to assist too often.

I think i will add them in for our first game and not tell them they are house rules until after. It's easier to get a game back to the table if it doesn't go over well by telling them we weren't playing by the actual rules, rather than by telling them we can try adding some house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.