Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These came up before our last game.

When you move tokens into a territory:
Can you divide them among multiple sectors?

If you have tokens in the same territory but different sectors:
Can you move them out as one group?
Do they battle as one group?
Provided the storm does not separate them, of course.

Can you redistribute them later?
Does that count as a move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure one of the experts will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is:

Moving a group is a movement action.

If you were to move a group into two different sectors in the same region, that would be two different movement actions. There are some powers (Fremen) that allow this, but normally you cannot.

Two groups in the same region but in two different sectors are two distinct groups.

Battle happens in a sector of a region, so other groups in the same region wouldn't battle together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
If you were to move a group into two different sectors in the same region, that would be two different movement actions. There are some powers (Fremen) that allow this, but normally you cannot.

The Fremen ability is to move one group of tokens a distance of two territories, not to make two distinct group moves (as I understand it).

Quote:
Two groups in the same region but in two different sectors are two distinct groups.

I'm not sure how you'd get this situation, as IX.C.2.d says: "When ending a move in a territory lying in several sectors, a player must make clear in which sector of the territory he chooses to leave his tokens."

My bold to highlight the singular...but I'd defer to a true expert on this.

Quote:
Battle happens in a sector of a region

This is not correct according to X.A.1, which says: "Battles must occur between players whose tokens occupy the same territory."

Quote:
so other groups in the same region wouldn't battle together.

True only if they are in different sectors separated by the storm (see X.A.2.a).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson Wendell
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
Trying to follow the rulebook as literally as possible:
Jormungandr83 wrote:

IX. 2. d. "When ending a move in a territory lying in
several sectors, a player must make clear in which
sector of the territory he chooses to leave his
tokens."
Since sector is not plural, all moves must end in a single sector. Of course, you could move more troops into a different sector in another turn, with the Hajr card, or riding the worm as Fremen.

Jormungandr83 wrote:
Can you move them out as one group?

IX. 2. a. "Each player may move, as a group, any number
of his tokens from one territory into one other
territory."
No mention of sectors, so you may combine tokens from different sectors into one group at the beginning of your movement, as long as they are not separated by the storm.

Jormungandr83 wrote:
Do they battle as one group?
Provided the storm does not separate them, of course.

X. A. 1. "Battles must occur between players whose
tokens occupy the same territory."
Again, no mention of sectors, so all tokens not separated by a storm will battle as a group.

Jormungandr83 wrote:

I'm having trouble with this one myself, but following from IX. 2. d., it would seem that the only way to declare a new sector would be to "end a move" in that same territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, Grayson, I came to the same conclusions myself. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Baranovsky
Russia
Novosibirsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jormungandr83 wrote:

Just my understanding of situation:

You can move your tokens from any one sector to any other sector in the same territory if your movement is not blocked by Storm. You may want to do this, for example, if you want to stay in spice blow territory, and avoid the approaching Storm.

This maneuvre is count as your normal movement, because you may benefit from it :)

But if you have 2 or more groups of your tokens (not separated by storm) in different sectors of the same territoty, you may move all these tokens to another territory, and collecting your tokens from different sectors for movement is not count as another movement.

Jormungandr83 wrote:

No, you have to chose only 1 sector.

In Rock territories you may ignore any sectors, because Rocks are unaffected by Storm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilya 77 wrote:
In Rock territories you may ignore any sectors, because Rocks are unaffected by Storm.

Not entirely true, because if the storm is situated over your tokens in a rock (or stronghold) territory, then they can't move or ship out of that location. So you still need to track which sectors your tokens are in so you know if they're "pinned" or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
where does protection from storm in rock territories come from? .,,, my understanding is when storm covers ya up only the 5 red "city" spaces the imperial basin and of course the polar sink is safe every thing else is toast or "dust"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dune is the king of "house rule" games the convoluted rules allow for much interpretation as long as ya all play the same way then its a good game . learning the "correct set and which optional rules to allow is part of this great game ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson Wendell
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
chuckdunn wrote:
where does protection from storm in rock territories come from? .,,, my understanding is when storm covers ya up only the 5 red "city" spaces the imperial basin and of course the polar sink is safe every thing else is toast or "dust"

II. A. 1. Printed on the board is a map of the planet
Dune. The map contains four types of territories.
a. Sand — yellow, orange or brown
b. Rock — grey
c. Stronghold — red
d. Polar Sink — blue

VI. C. Any tokens in a sector of sand territory (except
the Imperial Basin) over which the storm passes or
stops are sent to the 'Tleilaxu Tanks'. Any spice in
a sector over which a storm passes or stops is
removed to the spice bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.